New England Tours

efiinut

Are there tour operators on land by the ship as you get off at Bar Harbor and Halifax that you can choose from. My wife is obsessing about this.

specifically Peggy's Cove and a mountain tour at Bar Harbor

We will be leaving in two weeks.

In Bar Harbor you can check "Ollie's Trolley" tours. They have a desk in the building where the tenders come in. Better yet, Google them and you'll see all the tours they offer and can make a reservation on line. We've done Acadia Park tour with them a couple of times. I think it goes to Cadillac Mountain too. It was a good tour and the driver/tour guide was a local and very knowledgeable.

Can't tell you about Halifax. We did the ship's excursion to Peggy's Cove and it was very good.

When in Portland recently we were able to book a trolley tour at the last minute but I think we really lucked out. It seems that the pink bus tours and trolley tours were pretty full but all conveniently located in the terminal. When in Bar Harbour, we took the horse and buggy/bus tour (booked ahead through RCI) through Acadia Natl Pk and ending at Cadillac Mountain. There are many miles of roads that motor vehicles are not allowed on (the Rockefellers and other well-to-do people ensured trails with restrictions). We went on the horse and buggy ride for some of the tour and then returned to our bus to go to the top of the mountain. Was very good. And as I recall there were many tours waiting for customers just off the ship. In Halifax we went to Peggy's Cove via sidecars on motorcycles with two guides. Great tour booked privately. A little pricey but well worth it. There were other buses outside the port there as well. Have fun.

In Bar Harbor you can check "Ollie's Trolley" tours. They have a desk in the building where the tenders come in. Better yet, Google them and you'll see all the tours they offer and can make a reservation on line. We've done Acadia Park tour with them a couple of times. I think it goes to Cadillac Mountain too. It was a good tour and the driver/tour guide was a local and very knowledgeable.

We took Ollie's Trolley last year when we went there. If you want to go with them, go and get the tickets FIRST after you get off the ship. We wandered around not really sure what we wanted to do. When we wandered over to Ollie's, the had only THREE tickets left. We got two of them and really enjoyed the tour. They were great and got us back in plenty of time to get back to the ship.

We did not buy the tour tickets in advance on-line since we really did not know what we wanted to do.

Another vote for Ollie's Trolly--it was a great tour, and they steered us to the best lobster roll shop in town. We bought the tour tickets in advance, and went right to their booth on the pier and picked them up. I would do this tour again!

In Portland, we did a Casco Bay lighthouse tour--very cool.

Halifax: First we walked along the very nice waterfront promenade from the ship to the Maritime Museum, and that was really interesting. After that, we did a hop on-hop-off bus, and visited the Citadel, and tooled around town.

Teddie

Archived