should I take the cabin upgrade .. please help

sunjelina

Hi, we are due to go on our first cruise 5 weeks today!!! Just when I thought I had everything covered and got all my plans sorted, P&O throw me something else to consider. We had an email this morning to say that they have upgraded our cabin. We were originally in L223 which is a balcony cabin and now we are in A633. Should I accept the upgrade? Is it a better location? Are we shaded or overlooked? Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Hi, we are due to go on our first cruise 5 weeks today!!! Just when I thought I had everything covered and got all my plans sorted, P&O throw me something else to consider. We had an email this morning to say that they have upgraded our cabin. We were originally in L223 which is a balcony cabin and now we are in A633. Should I accept the upgrade? Is it a better location? Are we shaded or overlooked? Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

I would accept the upgrade, L223 is partially shaded and also the corridor stinks of stale tobacco along there due to the undercover smoking area next to Frankies Grill.

A633 is an identical cabin but not overlooked at all.

Have a great cruise!

We have stayed in L106, and that deck we found to be really good,

but im sure some of A balconys can be shady from the overhang from riviera deck above.

A633 is very close to the laundrette, whereas L223, has white panneling, opposite, which im not sure what it is, so try and wait for someone thats stayed near that area.

Hang on in there for a bit, im sure someone will come up that has stayed in or very near these cabins. The cabins are identical so for me it would be all down to the one with the better chance of sun. and also i would have thought its better to be on the higher deck ? Wish i could give you better advice, but i do remember someone advising on here,not to have a cabin close to the laundrette, as can be quite noisy. Sorry cant be more specific.

We were in A322 On Azura (Ventura and Azura cabins same)and were near a launderette but never heard a whisper from it.The higher cabin I feel would be better for you.Although Only thing I can see is that the upgrade is on Starboard side and on our last TA in November last year the port side got all the sun lucky we were on the port side all the way in the sun to the Caribbean..Wait for other more experienced cruisers to comment:p

Both the cabins are on starboard side. To get the sun going down to the Caribbean you need a port side balcony. I would ring PO and try to change to an even numbered balcony on any deck if you like the sun. C deck is the best balcony on the ship.

Sue

I don't want to be a party pooper, but if you've received an email saying they have moved and upgraded you, it doesn't sound like you have the choice of accepting or not! If you didn't specify 'no upgrade' when you booked, chances are your original cabin has already been allocated elsewhere. If you're not happy I'd give them, or your TA, a ring asap. If you've booked on a getaway fare, from what I'm led to believe, you won't be able to change. Which ship are you on?

Good luck :)

Edited by Lovemychoos

Can't see her being in a getaway as she already had her cabin number. Cabins have not been allocated yet for getaways on the Ventura TA. You may be right though that the original cabin booked has gone. TA though as not given very good advice if sunjelina likes the sun.

Sue

Edited by kersh

Just found this which someone had very kindly posted last year about their cabin on Azura, which is the same layout as Ventura

''We were in cabin 633 (easy to remember if you think of 633 squadron). The cabin was very convenient for the Venezia buffet for breakfast by turning left out of your cabin and walking to the stern. The heavy door opens right onto the terrace pool and close to the Venezia. The laundry is close to 633 but we never seen anyone going in or out so hence no noise. We did experience some noise from deck above on occasions as the deck above is the buffet restaurant, but very intermittent.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.''

Hope this helps put your mind at rest :)

Lou

Oh dear, even more confused now :/ we paid the vantage fare for our cruise so hopefully will be able to change it, although I have not yet read the email myself as it was sent to my husbands account. First I need to decide what to do but will definately be ringing if I decide to go with our original cabin. Waiting hopefully to get a few more comments. Thanks to everyone for the advice so far.

Just found this which someone had very kindly posted last year about their cabin on Azura, which is the same layout as Ventura

''We were in cabin 633 (easy to remember if you think of 633 squadron). The cabin was very convenient for the Venezia buffet for breakfast by turning left out of your cabin and walking to the stern. The heavy door opens right onto the terrace pool and close to the Venezia. The laundry is close to 633 but we never seen anyone going in or out so hence no noise. We did experience some noise from deck above on occasions as the deck above is the buffet restaurant, but very intermittent.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.''

Hope this helps put your mind at rest :)

Lou

The cabin you are referring to is on Riviera deck, as this has access to the terrace pool area and is directly below the Buffet deck. The cabin in question is on A deck, so no noise from above or below but still quite convenient for the stairs/lift and the launderette which you will not hear.

Wouldnt want to mis lead anyone, the original poster replied that they had been in cabin A633 - as they used the original question as a quote, I, rightly or wrongly, assumed they were taking about the same cabin. You obviously know something I don't!

Originally Posted by Tinykeith viewpost.gif

Hi could any one tell me what this cabin A633 is like, just got our cabin number and it looks like we are by the laundry, will it be noisy with people coming and going, what is the balcony like ? New to cruising thanks

We were in cabin 633 (easy to remember if you think of 633 squadron). The cabin was very convenient for the Venezia buffet for breakfast by turning left out of your cabin and walking to the stern. The heavy door opens right onto the terrace pool and close to the Venezia. The laundry is close to 633 but we never seen anyone going in or out so hence no noise. We did experience some noise from deck above on occasions as the deck above is the buffet restaurant, but very intermittent.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Lovemychoos

Although I've been on Ventura many times you only have to look at the deck plans in the brochure to see it state that cabin L223 is partially shaded and that there is a gymnasium above it, cabin A633 is not shaded/overlooked and it only has cabins above and below. As another member has stated, if you can change to port-side then change, if not, take the upgrade!!

I think you will find 'Lovemychoos' was right earlier on in the thread. P&O do not consult on upgrades. Either you ask to be removed from an automatic upgrade when you book or they will just move you at their whim and you have to take the upgrade. It always said that clearly in their terms and conditions, but I do not have a new brochure to hand to check if it is still there. We have been telephoned and asked if we would like a specific cabin upgrade on a more upmarket cruise line, but it must take a lot of staff time to do that, so I would be surprised if P&O have changed their stance recently

We have always removed ourselves from automatic upgrade with P&O if we have booked early and chosen our cabin. We may have missed out on a window or balcony because of that, but we always choose cabins with other cabins above, below and to either side to minimise noise, so we sleep of a night.

If you are not happy with the new cabin, you could try complaining and hope they let you choose another cabin. If you are happy with the upgrade and do not want to be allocated a further upgrade, (which could be in a detrimental location), I suggest you contact P&O to ask to be removed from the automatic upgrade from now on.

Edited by tring

Please be very wary of P&O so called upgrades. We were upgraded on a cruise on Ventura & were allocated what looked on the deck plans to be a great position. However, it was the noisiest stateroom we've ever been in & it ruined our cruise. Think very carefully why the "upgraded" cabin was still available....why hadn't a regular cruiser booked it:confused: Enjoy the cruise whatever you choose to do.

Please be very wary of P&O so called upgrades. We were upgraded on a cruise on Ventura & were allocated what looked on the deck plans to be a great position. However, it was the noisiest stateroom we've ever been in & it ruined our cruise. Think very carefully why the "upgraded" cabin was still available....why hadn't a regular cruiser booked it:confused: Enjoy the cruise whatever you choose to do.

We had an upgrade the same as you on Ventura in July. Was quite happy to see we had been upgraded to midship but there was a noise which was intermitent throughout the night and every night which kept us awake. Just booked for next year and for the 1st time I have said no upgrade as I wouldn't take this chance again. As you say there is some reason these cabins have not been booked.:eek:

Thank you all for the advice, I took it all on board and emailed the TA saying we were happy with the upgrade but would prefer to be port side. I am very pleased to say that I received an email this morning and we are now directly opposite on the port side A632. I am so glad I posted as I never even considered that one side of the ship being more favourable. It just shows too that its always worth asking your TA if your not happy with the upgrade! Thanks everyone :)

Thank you all for the advice, I took it all on board and emailed the TA saying we were happy with the upgrade but would prefer to be port side. I am very pleased to say that I received an email this morning and we are now directly opposite on the port side A632. I am so glad I posted as I never even considered that one side of the ship being more favourable. It just shows too that its always worth asking your TA if your not happy with the upgrade! Thanks everyone :)

Good result sunjelina. I do think that your TA should have pointed out to you that you need to be Port side sailing down to the Caribbean if you want sun on your balcony.

I would be interested to know how came to book a Lido deck balcony in the first instance.

I know on our first cruise we were given absolutely no information from our TA about the best cabins and where on the ship is the best to be situated. Unfortunately I didn't know about these cruise forums then. A very expensive mistake.

Sue

Well you wont be disappointed good that they changed you to Port side (the sunny side )well done happy cruising..:D

Guess What Sue, TA advised us to take the Lido deck!!! As we are first time cruisers we had no idea what deck/side/cabin would be best. Luckily i found this forum and it has been a brilliant help. Feel content now and looking forward to our cruise! Thanks Micky :)

• 1 year later...
Hi, I realise its a while ago now, but did you keep with your original cabin L223 and what was it like, as we have booked that exact same cabin for September this year.

Thank you. x

Lollzers, this was something like two years ago. The Lido deck balcony cabins are excellent in my opinion. The "shaded" comments in the foregoing relate to the fact that because there is not more cabins immediately above you therefore you get less sun. In my experience the deckhead (ceiling) out side is pretty high and simply makes it more private but not darker. The smoke in the corridor comment might have some credence at the less forward end of the run but my experience is there is not a problem.

The gymnasium might be a noise problem but I think if you check it out there are opening hours which limit this. If you retire early each night it may affect you.

Regards John

Hi all, I am looking for some advice. We are booked on a group cruise with the family to celebrate the milestone birthdays of my aunt and my mother next March. We booked the cruise back in February of this year, over a year before the cruise. We found out two days ago that Celebrity made an error and cancelled our booking and then re-booked; however during this time, someone else booked into the cabin we had. Celebrity offered a small on-board credit to the new guests in that cabin to which they firmly said no. They have told me that they have put us on a waiting list for the cabins on either side of that original room, which is not comparable due to the layout of the original cabin and have offered the same small OBC to us. I have turned them down and inquired as to why we are being put on the wait list when we were originally booked in that cabin. I would appreciate any advice from the experts - should I request a cabin upgrade or continue to push for the original cabin? Appreciate any and all thoughts.

This needs to be posted under the appropriate cruise line forum to get any reasonable response from someone who has cruised with them. Rules and regulations and how each line operates does vary considerably, so expert advice will more likely available there. It is currently under P&O Cruise Line and I am thinking you need to re-post under Celebrity X.

Regards John