nanapaul

nanapaul

Diamond Princess is calling in to the port of Phu My on 10th March 2014 on it's voyage from Sydney to Singapore. Does anyone know if the ship has a free shuttle to Vung Tau? My husband was stationed in Vung Tau in the Vietnam War and we wish to spend our time at this port visiting Vung Tau. Any assistance regarding hiring a taxi and the approx fare in Dong to Vung Tau would be appreaciated if a free shuttle bus is not available. Thank you

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You should ask this question on the Princess board here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=197

As well as the Ports of Call board here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70

You may also want to join your Roll Call and see what others are doing -- just scroll down until you find the date of your cruise here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=301

Don't use your CC name -- title your thread with your question.

Hi, & welcome to Cruise Critic.

It's about 22 miles. Google says 35-40 minutes but I'd be wary of google timings in Vietnam.

I can't imagine even a payable a cruise ship transfer, or even a tour which includes Vung Tau - it's little more than a seaport (was the cruise port before Phu My was built) and in the opposite direction to everywhere else. I don't imagine anyone else on your cruise planning to go there, though you could ask on your RollCall - that's the 301 link on KK's post.

Go on there anyway, even if only to say "hi" to your shipmates.

You'll almost certainly have to strike out on your own. Sorry, I've got no idea of the taxi fare, but prices in Vietnam are low & it won't be a budget-breaker. At a very very rough guess, mebbe somewhere between 75 USD & 150 USD??

I have no idea of the availability of taxis at Phu My but others might.

Keep life simple by using just the one for going & returning rather than finding another in Vung Tau for the return.

Probably worth getting prices over the internet for a pre-booked car - get several cos there are some right-royal rip-off merchants out there & you may be surprised by the differences. And if you're required to pay anything up-front, do so only by credit card & not by bank transfer, PayPal, etc.

It'd be a good idea to have VND, even though many outlets & taxi drivers accept USD. You'll get better value in VND, especially in a metered taxi.

But do be careful to count the number of noughts on the notes, it's easy to get accidentally ripped-off ten-fold, even a hundred-fold. On the positive side, you'll be a millionaire for a while ;)

Skip Bonnie's mention of tenders, it's irrelevant. Probably a couple too many Jack Daniels today :p

But as Bonnie & KK's posts, title your questions with your question rather than your name, & get the important bit in the first few words.

Happens a lot with first-time posters, I suspect CC's instructions aren't too clear.

Well worth asking about taxis at Phu My on the Asia board, as linked by KK. Situation's going to be the same regardless of cruise line.

I found Cruise Critic frustratingly complicated in my early days. But well worth persevering, there's an awful lot of useful info.

JB :)

One of your compatriots, Fruitygirl from Melbourne is hoping to make the same trip from Phu My to Vung Tau in a few weeks time. Also on a Princess ship. Worth asking on that thread if Fruitygirl can help out when she gets back.

That thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=40130065&posted=1#post40130065

JB :)

I think the problem with the thread title is that if you don't actually fill in the thread title box it defaults to your user name.

There is a wealth of useful information on this forum, and many members willing to help, but you will get more support if you take a little care with your post:

* check out which section of the forum is most appropriate:

- cruise line (for questions about a specific ship)

- roll call (for questions about your specific cruise, or to discuss possible excursions etc)

- ports of call (for questions about a specific destination)

- Ask a question or new cruiser sections (for general queries which would apply to any ship or line. Many questions on these sections would be more appropriate in other sections)

* See if this question has been asked:

- there may well be a recent question on the board

- consider using the search facility (box in upper right corner) of the appropriate section

* if you do need to ask a question, make sure it has a title which will attract the members who can answer it.

Archived