Pride of America review ( Sept. 14-21 ,2013 )

Kapuna

Having sailed the POA a few months before the renovation , we were interested to experience the changes . Overall we were very favorably impressed , especially by the much improved enthusiasm and helpfulness of the staff . There was a lot of positive energy on this cruise and we did not hear any complaints .

The aft section of deck 11 has been totally redone . Instead of the cafeteria style furnishings there is now an elegant club style arrangement with both table and lounge type seating . Most evenings there was soothing live entertainment provided .

Adjacent to this area is the new Moderno restaurant . This provides quite an experience ! After partaking of the extensive appetizer , soup , and salad offerings , gauchos come to your table with skewers of freshly grilled meats until you tell them to stop ( I should have stopped sooner ).

A major change is the addition of new cabins and suites on deck 13 . This includes 4 single occupancy cabins , a few inside cabins , and a much larger number os suites with large balconies . It should be noted that some of these suites face out toward the pool area , resulting in a lack of privacy and possible noise problems .

With the addition of more suites the POA has become more of a two-class ship . Suite passengers enjoy butler service , exclusive breakfast and lunch in Cagney's restaurant , and preferential treatment for boarding , tender service , and disembarcation, as well as a VIP party with the captain ( plus other amenities ) .

Furniture , carpenting , TV sets, etc . have been upgraded throughout the ship and passenger flow at meal and show times improved . We never felt crowded or rushed .

Having sailed the POA a few months before the renovation , we were interested to experience the changes . Overall we were very favorably impressed , especially by the much improved enthusiasm and helpfulness of the staff . There was a lot of positive energy on this cruise and we did not hear any complaints .

Thanks so much for the review.. we'll sailing in May 2014 .. in one of the new suites on Deck 13 ... can hardly contain my excitement :D

• 2 weeks later...

The aft section of deck 11 has been totally redone . Instead of the cafeteria style furnishings there is now an elegant club style arrangement with both table and lounge type seating . Most evenings there was soothing live entertainment provided .

Adjacent to this area is the new Moderno restaurant . This provides quite an experience ! After partaking of the extensive appetizer , soup , and salad offerings , gauchos come to your table with skewers of freshly grilled meats until you tell them to stop ( I should have stopped sooner ).

A major change is the addition of new cabins and suites on deck 13 . This includes 4 single occupancy cabins , a few inside cabins , and a much larger number os suites with large balconies . It should be noted that some of these suites face out toward the pool area , resulting in a lack of privacy and possible noise problems .

With the addition of more suites the POA has become more of a two-class ship . Suite passengers enjoy butler service , exclusive breakfast and lunch in Cagney's restaurant , and preferential treatment for boarding , tender service , and disembarcation, as well as a VIP party with the captain ( plus other amenities ) .

Furniture , carpenting , TV sets, etc . have been upgraded throughout the ship and passenger flow at meal and show times improved . We never felt crowded or rushed .

We were on the POA after the refurb and had a balcony stateroom as did our friends. We had old carpeting, old TV's, and old worn out sofa! They had told us that it had all been replaced, but it was not!

CGBCruiser: Did you sail between the end of the dry dock (April 6 I think) and the completion of all renovations (Sept 7)? We sailed Sept 7 and had a new flat screen tv (only maybe 27", very small) and new carpet, but I assume the same furnishings (orange couch and blue curtains were shabby looking but the bedding was just fine). I believe they did the carpet and tvs and such while carrying passengers still (after dry dock), plus they were completing the suites during that time. Best wishes.

Are you saying they removed the outdoor garden cafe or can you still have breakfast, lunch out there in the open. They also held the Island info sessions out there. God I hope not!

When I was on the POAm in late July, the aft end of deck 11 had gone from table and chairs for over flow buffet seating to big cushioned chairs, couch type seating,small tables, huge 6 ft. tall lamps, and an active bar/music area for the evening time. Not much left in area for eating out back as in the past.

When I was on the POAm in late July, the aft end of deck 11 had gone from table and chairs for over flow buffet seating to big cushioned chairs, couch type seating,small tables, huge 6 ft. tall lamps, and an active bar/music area for the evening time. Not much left in area for eating out back as in the past.

I can't believe NCL would do that! This cruise is almost always guaranteed good weather for sitting out there and eating.

Guess we wont be sailing POA for awhile. Actually we had it booked and cancelled it when we saw a Panama cruise was availiable for our sailing in 2015 so I'm glad read this review.

To clarify , it is still possible to eat out on the rear deck ; only the old furniture has been changed . We had no problem eating there and really liked the new decor .

Moreover , the new Moderno restaurant area ( immediately adjacent ) is also available as a seating area at breakfast and lunch times ; it even had a breakfast buffet on our cruise . It becomes a speciality restaurant at dinner .

As a result there is actually more seating at the rear of deck 11 than before the renovation . Our cruise was fully booked but we never had any problem finding seats .

Archived