MDR food quality

anandaindonesia

I take a different take like I have said the MDR is a step above Denny's but it does not match what NCL promotes and sells us.

We were sold

"Complimentary Dining Every cruise fare includes beautifully crafted menus in our two main dining rooms, a help-yourself buffet and a variety of casual cafés, grills and on-the-go choices. From fresh-baked breads, desserts and pastries to our chefs' original dishes made with the freshest ingredients, your dining can be as fine or fun as you want."

Now was it was not in anyway bad, but not to the level I would expect based on what NCL promotes and sell us to expect. I think that a major issue is the exception level NCL sets of fine dinning in their sales and promotions.

Better

"Complimentary Dining Every cruise fare includes Chef crafted menus in our two main dining rooms, a help-yourself buffet and a variety of casual cafés, grills and on-the-go choices. From our own baked breads, desserts and pastries to our chefs' original dishes with daily meat, seafood and vegetarian choices (no such thing as fresh and not fine in my experience at sea), your Freestyle dining can be sit down or choose our buffet as you want."

HELLO!! Do you know the word advertising? Do you think the ads should say: ok, everyone, enjoy your dining on our ships, it is a step above Denny's? As for fresh produce, I don't know what NCL ships you have been on, but the produce usually is as fresh as you can get when at sea. I have never had frozen or canned Asparagus, broccoli or spinach for starters, nor does the salad greens come out of a bag and yes, many of the dishes are chef's specialties. They may not be great or what you like, but they are still specialties. As for fine, again, this is subjective and this is where my posting about people who complain, being accustom to top of the line: most average cruisers do not eat at "Ruths Chris" type of restaurants, so a basic, somewhat specialty meal is seen as outstanding. Those with more gourmet pallets do not find cruise food, all that great. As I have mentioned, I do love to cook, have been lucky enough to eat at some outstanding restaurants in my life, so, I do not find any cruise food great, except for some specialty dining rooms, but I do find it quite satisfactory, with rare exception.

Warm Breezes: we actually found the food and service better on our Jan cruise than a few years ago. Again, it depends somewhat on the ship. Even though the menu is fleet wide, the way it is cooked can vary from ship to ship.

Swedish: I think you showed it best: Peoples opinions vary all over the place. There is no way to keep everyone happy.

and that is about true. Let's face it, the cruise lines and I don't care which one you are accustom to using, other than luxury lines, all lines are serving thousands of people daily. The food isn't going to be great but when people consistently say and there are a few; it isn't even 3 star or 2 star and the food, even in the specialty dining rooms is below par, must be used to nothing but the best!!! I have been cruising for as many yeas as some on here have been alive, I have cruised on most all lines except for Crystal and Windstar. The last time I remember having really outstanding food was probably about 10 years ago. But, that being said, most of the food is good, flavorful and certainly not the worst quality as some would like us to believe. Where can you go and get an appetizer or two, salad, soup and dessert without paying a min of $30 to $40 a person, not even at TGI Fridays. I will say one thing, the serving sizes have gone down, but that is a positive, not a negative.

What I am trying to say is that you do yourself a disservice when you place a label on people who express an opinion which is different from your own. Their opinions are just as valuable as yours. That's what Cruise Critic is about.

For a person looking to cruise on NCL for the first time, I'd say "Go For It!". Let them decide for themselves. Take all the reports, positive and negative, with a grain of salt. People's taste is a subjective thing.

And I do agree with you that, in most cases, cruising is a great value.

What I am trying to say is that you do yourself a disservice when you place a label on people who express an opinion which is different from your own. Their opinions are just as valuable as yours. That's what Cruise Critic is about.

For a person looking to cruise on NCL for the first time, I'd say "Go For It!". Let them decide for themselves. Take all the reports, positive and negative, with a grain of salt. People's taste is a subjective thing.

I agree with you RJ. And many people stay away from CC for this very reason. We met a couple on our most recent cruise and the husband frequents CC often, and was knowledgeable of all the recent threads, but he said he never comments for fear of being jumped on. <--- That is sad.

I agree with you RJ. And many people stay away from CC for this very reason. We met a couple on our most recent cruise and the husband frequents CC often, and was knowledgeable of all the recent threads, but he said he never comments for fear of being jumped on. <--- That is sad.

I just got "jumped" on another thread and was called a "hater" for this:

"Comparing NCL and Carnival the biggest differences are constant noise everywhere, lack of quiet spots and being herded around like cattle. You won't have these problems with NCL. Being on NCL after Carnival is like a breath of fresh air!

I will give the nod to Carnival for desserts.

JMO "

Hey it my opinion! Nothing more!

and that is exactly what I am saying: How many times do I have to say: I don't think the food is top notch, but food is subjective: I am saying exactly: judge for yourself. My objection is related to people who do so far as saying the food is edible or not even 3 star: wouldn't you agree anyone that makes a general statement like that, is not accustom to eating basic, middle of the road food, in middle of the road dining establishments?

I first cruised with NCL in the 80's -- none of the ships I sailed on then are around anymore. I've sailed on 36+ cruises -- many lines -- overall, I can't come up with one that offered what would be considered gourmet food.

Princess was among the least appealing (several times) but not inedible. Still... I'm not a demanding foodie and there's always been plenty of choice on every ship -- compared with the basics that I eat at home, it's all pretty good!

When I first cruised with NCL, the waiters came around with a dessert cart. That is a nice little touch which I miss.

I'm with you -- Not a cheerleader for any line or cruising itself but the food on every cruise I've ever taken, no matter how mediocre, sure beat taking pot-luck on land at various restaurants and resorts.

For the money, it's hard to beat a cruise as opposed to a land vacation -- I like staying in hotels and condos, too, but there's the age-old problem of where to eat or shopping for something to cook (when there's a condo/kitchen).

I personally think all the lines are comparable except perhaps for the very highest end, those ranked ABOVE Crystal, for example. Preparing food for hundreds, no matter how high-end, is like catering at a hotel -- someone will not like the 'rubber chicken.'

Having tried many cruise lines out for size since 1980, they all blend together in my mind especially where food is concerned. It's true that every cruise ship's food can vary greatly, even from one cruise to the next, depending on many circumstances. And all ships within a specific line are NOT the same.

Apparently food on cruise ships can't be THAT bad or people would not be rushing into various dining rooms so quickly each mealtime and basically eating their way around the ships.

Lol, jeez, I wouldn't call myself a cheerleader! I guess I just never went in there expecting more than I got, and if it did exceed my expectations, then even better. And if it was not the greatest or didn't fill me up, I knew there was more food to be found elsewhere. But really, I never left an MDR thinking the meal was lousy, or that I could have gotten the same thing at a Denny's.

Great post!!! People should just go and make up their own minds -- one man's trash is another man's treasure......... Enjoy it or don't, but if really dissatisfied just don't do it again.

I have gleaned the following from this thread.

NCL food is bland and too spicy.

NCL service is great and lousy.

NCL menus contain many great items and no satisfactory items.

This could go on and on, but I believe my point is made.

That is why I NEVER rely on OTHERS opinions of cruises or cruise lines.

Some can base their entire opinion of a cruise line on one experience and will expound on that endlessly !!!

I see many comments on ALL the CC boards about cruise lines not having escargot on the menu, but most who post don't bother to check on the availability of it. A quick search will show that there is a worldwide shortage of escargot.

Regarding lobster ---- My personal experience with that was a conversation with an officer when we were approaching Cabo. He was very nervous and I asked why. He said the supplier had failed to fill the order for lobster and they were being flown to Cabo by NCL for the ship.

Another incident not directly involving food was a failure by the supplier to furnish toilet paper. Although this was a bit humorous, it was very very serious if you an imagine the results. The officers went to every large store in the next port and bought their entire supply in order to prevent a major problem.

If we cannot be flexible in our lives, it is very sad.

Archived