Local Snacks

MMeyers87

Looking for any recommendations for good local snack food that is available around Castries. We are traveling with my grandparents-in-law, and for dietary limitations we will be eating mainly on the ship. One of my favorite parts of cruises is normally sampling local cuisine, so I am looking for opportunities to do so outside of normal meals. Does anyone know of any good quick bites to look out for?

I am particularly interested in checking out the market, what kind of prepared food vendors are typically there?

Looking for any recommendations for good local snack food that is available around Castries. We are traveling with my grandparents-in-law, and for dietary limitations we will be eating mainly on the ship. One of my favorite parts of cruises is normally sampling local cuisine, so I am looking for opportunities to do so outside of normal meals. Does anyone know of any good quick bites to look out for?

I am particularly interested in checking out the market, what kind of prepared food vendors are typically there?

Local snacks include cassava chips, plantain chips, hot creole bread w/cheese, tamarind balls, fresh fruits, etc. You can find many of them at the Craft and food market across from the docks - semi-open air pavilion with reddish orange roof.

The food market stalls in there prepare full meals or smaller take-aways, usually consisting of stewed or baked meats (fish, chicken, beef, lamb, pork, goat - depends on the stall and day), green fig salad (green banana, mixed veggies and sometimes some type of saltfish all mixed together with mayo, sort of our version of potato salad), beans, rice, mac & cheese, noodles and salad. Smaller meals may just have one or 2 sides. Bakes with saltfish is another quick lunch item, baked round bread stuffed with saltfish. Sometimes it's frys with saltfish - sort of like a small Indian fry bread with saltfish. Dahl is also available many places - Indian fry bread type dough stuffed with mashed lentils or chickpeas, sometimes with tuna or pumpkin - depends on the vendor. The Food market in the Craft & Food market will have fresh fruits and veggies galore - whatever is in season, spices, etc - pick a few up and enjoy while you browse. The streets right around the dock areas are fine to wander through - not very attractive as Castries is very much a working city and not gentrified for the cruise ship visitors, but there are vendors all along most roads with snack stalls, etc - feel free to ask what they have and sample a few things. Keep in mind though -most vendors will not have any US $$$ for change, and will change your US for you at the street rate of $1US = $2.50EC. You will get change in EC. A local beer at a vendor on the street should cost about $5EC or $2US. Any more than that and they are trying to fleece you! A creole bread w/cheese should be about $2.50EC or so, about $1US. A full meal at one of the stalls should run around $20-$30EC or about $8-$10US.

There is also a grocery store across from the docks, at the Castries Car Park - you can ask anyone, it is to the left of the Craft & food market when looking at it. You can browse snacks and foods there, pick up some local seasonings (banana ketchup, West Indian hot sauce, snacks, etc) at way, way, way better prices than in the duty free shopping area where you'll be ported. Short walk from either pier. The grocery store accepts credit cards, US, Euros, Sterling and EC, but change will be in EC.

Enjoy your visit!

Archived