Oxygen

kayzmarie

I have been flying and cruising with a POC (Inogen One G2, pulse delivery system) for almost 4 years. I saw my pulmonologist yesterday and he really wants me to start using a continuous flow system at night so I need to arrange for a stationary concentrator that I can use in the cabin. I travel by myself and do not want to have to buy another POC... I know I couldn't manage two of them and besides I already have all the batteries I need for the unit I currently have to cover those long European flights from the West Coast.

I have 3 b2b cruises already booked (27, 25, and 29 days) between this November and October of next year. Two of these are Mediterranean/Transatlantic cruises (Ruby this year, Regal next) and I need to know if you can pick up a rental concentrator in Venice or Barcelona and then return it in Fort Lauderdale, in other words are one way rentals even possible? Any specific company to go through?

My first Med/TA leaves Venice November 17th so I don't have a lot of time although he will look the other THIS time since everything is paid for, however, I'd rather have what I need now and safeguard my health (and future cruises!) than go without. Also will I need to notify Princess and do you have any guesstimate on cost for the longer trips?

Edited by kayzmarie

I am going on a Panama Canal cruise and I am renting from special needs at Sea a concentrator with continuous flow. They have it put in your cabin and you just leave it when you get off the ship. I don't think you can rent one from one country and leave it at another. My oxygen supply company told me that their equipment could not leave the state's when I wanted to go to Canada. Are you going to be staying in a hotel at any time? If so you will have to see if there is a company locally that rents oxygen equipment. I just went to Beaver Island in Michigan and I had to bring my concentrator from home because no one serviced the island. How much oxygen does the doctor want you on? I just bought a poc and it has pulse continuous and sleep mode. Hope this helps.

Thank you Kit for the help.

Here at home I have a continuous flow system... a concentrator (which I very seldom use because of the heat it generates and also the noise), instead I rely on my portable unit and 2 large liquid oxygen reservoir canisters. As for flow: 2 LPM at night and 3 LMP when I'm on the treadmill - I walk at least twice a day, 2 miles each time.

When I travel I use an Inogen One G2 (pulse delivery system). It serves me well when I fly (2 LMP) and also when I'm out and about sightseeing (2 or 3 LMP). It's not worth squat at night, however, since it does not register breath sounds (contrary to all the misinformation/hype I was given when I bought it). Actually had an overnight oximetry test done recently with the Inogen and this is the reason I'm having to rent a concentrator... my O2 readings were down in the 70s!

I went ahead and called Special Needs At Sea and was given the following information:

$545.00.... 27 day (one way) Venice to Fort Lauderdale - Ruby Princess

$286.00.... 25 day (round trip) San Francisco to San Francisco - Grand Princess

$568.00.... 29 day (one way) Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale - Regal Princess

Very pleased that they do the one way rentals! I also called the Princess Medical Coordinator for my upcoming cruise. All I need to do is fax an Rx for oxygen at least 30 days prior to each cruise (she said there was no need to do the Princess Medical Form???). State on the cover sheet CONCENTRATOR - SPECIAL NEEDS AT SEA and include my name, the name of the ship, date of the cruise, booking number, and my cabin number. FAX to 661-753-0121 and address it to MEDICAL COORDINATOR - RUBY PRINCESS (in this case - in the future it would be the name of whatever ship I'm cruising on).

Edited by kayzmarie

• 3 months later...
Thank you Kit for the help.

Here at home I have a continuous flow system... a concentrator (which I very seldom use because of the heat it generates and also the noise), instead I rely on my portable unit and 2 large liquid oxygen reservoir canisters. As for flow: 2 LPM at night and 3 LMP when I'm on the treadmill - I walk at least twice a day, 2 miles each time.

When I travel I use an Inogen One G2 (pulse delivery system). It serves me well when I fly (2 LMP) and also when I'm out and about sightseeing (2 or 3 LMP). It's not worth squat at night, however, since it does not register breath sounds (contrary to all the misinformation/hype I was given when I bought it). Actually had an overnight oximetry test done recently with the Inogen and this is the reason I'm having to rent a concentrator... my O2 readings were down in the 70s!

I went ahead and called Special Needs At Sea and was given the following information:

$545.00.... 27 day (one way) Venice to Fort Lauderdale - Ruby Princess

$286.00.... 25 day (round trip) San Francisco to San Francisco - Grand Princess

$568.00.... 29 day (one way) Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale - Regal Princess

Very pleased that they do the one way rentals! I also called the Princess Medical Coordinator for my upcoming cruise. All I need to do is fax an Rx for oxygen at least 30 days prior to each cruise (she said there was no need to do the Princess Medical Form???). State on the cover sheet CONCENTRATOR - SPECIAL NEEDS AT SEA and include my name, the name of the ship, date of the cruise, booking number, and my cabin number. FAX to 661-753-0121 and address it to MEDICAL COORDINATOR - RUBY PRINCESS (in this case - in the future it would be the name of whatever ship I'm cruising on).

Just an FYI - I found Special Needs At Sea to be very reliable when I have used them.