Dumb Ice Cream Question

cwistyred

Forgive me, I searched this forum and didn't quite get the answer I was looking for.

I am seriously considering a cruise on the Opera next year to the Baltic.

I was really spoiled last year on the NCL Jade as they had soft serve ice cream with a few toppings available at the buffet for most of the day.

Does the Opera or MSC in general have ice cream available without an extra fee??

Hi cwistyred!

I've cruised with MSC in Mediterranean and South America cruises and the only free ice cream I got was on the MDR, during lunch and dinner. I don't know about the Baltic but I think it's pretty much the same...

Ice cream bar was charged on the Opera.

MsClover, thanks for that. I had a feeling that it wasn't available. Also since most of you have sailed on MSC, I just noticed that the buffet is not open for dinner, is that correct? So if that is true, you are sort of forced into formal nights, which my husband and I usually do not participate in. We go to the buffet on those evenings on other ships. Hummm, maybe I have to rethink this.

Also since most of you have sailed on MSC, I just noticed that the buffet is not open for dinner, is that correct?

It depends, in Brazil the buffet is open for dinner all nights but the Gala one and in my Med cruises the buffet was open for dinner too! Again, unfortunately I can't help you with the baltic, but I think it will be the same!

MsClover, thanks for that. I had a feeling that it wasn't available. Also since most of you have sailed on MSC, I just noticed that the buffet is not open for dinner, is that correct? So if that is true, you are sort of forced into formal nights, which my husband and I usually do not participate in. We go to the buffet on those evenings on other ships. Hummm, maybe I have to rethink this.

NO NEED TO RETHINK.

Here are the typical opening times (GALA NIGHTS included), as published in the daily programme (it's a scan of one), from OPERA five weeks ago. You can see that the buffet IS open from 19:00 to 22:00 for dinner. Also that breakfast and lunch can be had in the one of the MDRs (saves all the pushing , shoving and table hunting in the buffet)

The ice cream question :--- the ice cream from the Gelati bar (proper ice cream; not Mr Whippy type out of a squirty machine) is a part of the Allegrisimo (ALL INCLUSIVE) package which we found to be excellent value and well worth considering

bbuffet.jpg

Pete

Think the others have answered this for you. The only free soft serve ice cream on MSC is on sailings out of the US, so no not on the Opera. You can get real ice cream not the synthetic stuff in the dining room daily at lunch or dinner. There is also the ice cream bar on the pool deck but that costs extra around€1-2 for cones and tubs and around €5 for more exotic sundaes. If you get the basic Allegrissimo at £20/€23 per person per day includes cones and tubs.

It used to be there was no evening buffet on any of the fleet but buffet is now open around 20 hours out of 24 hours. So you do not have to go to formal dinners in MDR.

The Opera is a lovely ship although now considered small by today's behemoth standards. I've spent a lot of time on her and would not hesitate to return.

Archived