Radiance Balcony choice - advice

reeb4

We are currently in 9038 and 9040 for a summer Alaska cruise on Radiance. Any advice/thoughts/experiences with these balcony rooms (or those in the near vicinity?

If it matters: Platinum members, First Alaska cruise, don't require adjoining cabins it just worked out that way.

Is there a better area to try for? As for the port/starboard discussion, we want to be on the port side. I keep hearing interesting things about aft, but don't know if any are available. Is it worth checking?

Thanks in advance.

We are currently in 9038 and 9040 for a summer Alaska cruise on Radiance. Any advice/thoughts/experiences with these balcony rooms (or those in the near vicinity?

If it matters: Platinum members, First Alaska cruise, don't require adjoining cabins it just worked out that way.

Is there a better area to try for? As for the port/starboard discussion, we want to be on the port side. I keep hearing interesting things about aft, but don't know if any are available. Is it worth checking?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, check for aft. I always check for aft availability first. It's the best location on the ship IMO.

Yes, check for aft. I always check for aft availability first. It's the best location on the ship IMO.

I love aft when cruising the Caribbean ... but for Alaska I want to see where I am going not where I have been. My first preference would be a center hump balcony.

Thanks in advance.

You can go to the Colony Club (passed the Schooner) and spend a lot of free time on the sofas and chairs that face the glassed back of the club and get the 'aft' experience while reading or 'resting your eyes' :) . I have no insight on your rooms in particular but if you are cruising the Hubbard Glacier (regardless of side), our captain stopped and rotated the ship 180dg. I made sure to have my camera on a tripod ready for the moment that our balcony had the glacier as a backdrop and took several photos on automatic with our cruise friends and us.

The radiance has lifeboat covers that run the length of the ship on both sides. The hump cabins have a clear view down to the water, which is nice if (on the rare occasion - though it happened on both of my previous Alaskan cruises) a whale or two decide to pass by close to the ship. It's hard to see past the lifeboat covers if the whales are really close when you're in the non-hump cabins.

It looks to me like your two cabins might have a slightly blocked view looking forward, because of the bump out a few cabins ahead of yours. But, probably not a big deal...Alaska is amazing to look at!

Port side will offer the most city views when in port, except for Hoonah, which has slightly more of a starboard/bow view.

A bit more land views on the starboard side when heading North, but both sides are stunning in the inside passage. Radiance doesn't stop at Glacier Bay, which has a more scenery on the port side (according to some, anyway). And the ship rotates 360 at Hubbard, so it doesn't matter, imho, which side you're on there.

There is a difference between port and starboard in how the trolley for deck washing is stored. 1038 has the trolley stored right at it's balcony versus the other side where it is stored tucked in the corner. So avoid 1038 and those cabins below if you like to view or sit on your balcony.

We love Radiance, she is a well run ship with a lovely crew and just the best size in our opinion. You will have a grand holiday. Remember to leave time to visit Vancouver!

We had an aft balcony on our June southbound cruise on Radiance - oh my, we LOVED it! The weather was wonderful most of the time, so we spent a great deal of time out there. A few pics:

9187918935_82169ff71f_c.jpg

DSC_0272 by suegee57, on Flickr

9193562520_4b45c0cf80_c.jpg

DSC_0060 by suegee57, on Flickr

9190498121_3118d4cf90_c.jpg

IMG_0697 by suegee57, on Flickr

9187841069_4c75854d6d_c.jpg

DSC_0283 by suegee57, on Flickr

9193354543_a4cc271deb_c.jpg

IMG_0775 by suegee57, on Flickr

Archived