Acadia National Park - what if govt shutdown

DaisyGoldberg

So if the government shuts down, and the National Parks close (however temporarily) rendering Park excursions worthless... should I assume there would be a refund from the cruiseline or would they obligate you to take a different excursion or forfeit the money?

In the past on cruises I've been on if the vendor cannot provide the service, the cruiseline has refunded the money to your seapass, but I imagine the vendors would probably try to do whatever they could to provide an excursion of interest.

It's my understanding that NPS would only close roads that are self-contained within the park - through roads would remain open, but I'm not sure what roads are in the Acadia National Park -- does anyone know if they are through roads or contained? By the name of the road (Park Loop Road), I would guess it's contained and would therefore be closed, but I'm not 100% sure.

Acadia National Park was established long after this area was settled. The National Park was created among the vacant land between these settlements. As a result, most of the roads in the park connect nearby towns, such as Bar Harbor. These roads need to stay open. I don't even remember an entrance gate to the park, but perhaps there was one. If it was shut down, I would think that the only thing that would be closed is the visitor center.

Acadia National Park was established long after this area was settled. The National Park was created among the vacant land between these settlements. As a result, most of the roads in the park connect nearby towns, such as Bar Harbor. These roads need to stay open. I don't even remember an entrance gate to the park, but perhaps there was one. If it was shut down, I would think that the only thing that would be closed is the visitor center.

Thanks -- I was hoping that was the case! And yes, from what I read, the visitor center and any concessions (bathrooms/vending/etc) would be closed if there is a shutdown.

There is an entrance fee to the park which is paid at the beginning of the one way section of the Park Loop Road. There is a metal swing gate at the start of the road to reach the summit of Cadillac Mountain. There are swing gates elsewhere in the park.

State road 233 will take you from Bar Harbor to Northeast Harbor or Southwest Harbor; SR 3 will take you from Bar Harbor to Seal Cove and then Northeast Harbor.

Yes, there may be roads that go through the park that connect towns, but all towns are accessible by Maine state roads. Even if the state road goes through the park does not mean the park is accessible from that state road.

Since the early '90's when I started visiting Acadia National Park, there always has been an entry fee to the Park Loop Road.

SBtS

I just got an e-mail back from Oli's Trolley. They will continue their tours but won't be able to go into Acadia National Park. Instead, for the 2.5 hour tour, they will do a Bar Harbor historic sites and mansions with two 20 minute stops at Seal Harbor Beach and the Northeast Harbor Marina. We're due to go to Bar Harbor next Friday so I hope that the jokers in Washington get their act together by then.

Frederick

We're just back from a Princess cruise which found us in Bar Harbor the first day of the shutdown. The cruiseline did make an announcement that all excursions to Acadia were cancelled (with full refund). My husband and I always do independent excursions, and we have been to Acadia several times before. We made our way to the Village Green, where we found the free Island Explorer buses still operating, although on altered routes. The Island Explorer staff was very helpful in making suggestions on which bus to take where: many people were taking the bus as a roundtrip scenic drive. We opted to take two different lines and get off to do some exploring in Northeast & Southwest Harbors. The foliage was lovely, as are the locals! This bus service is terrific; it is free but they accept donations and the drivers often act as tour guides. Here is the link:

http://www.exploreacadia.com/

Diver Deb...We must have been on the same cruise.....Although the park was closed, several people went around the road anyway. As there are private houses there, I understand that the entire road could not be closed....We were scheduled to go on Lulu's lobster boat and it was great. Saw seals and lots of lobsters....:) BTW.....did you happen to see the pod of Wright's whales in the area? Saw about 8-10 of them. It was about the time when the ship was surrounded by porpoises....Not many people saw them....

Archived