Possible DIY Tivoli day trip from Rome

adanaccruisers

Well, if you simply did a search of this forum you would find we covered this issue last month. Here is a link to the thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1900225&highlight=tivoli

Hank

Hank, I had done a simple search for Tivoli before I posted this question, but did not receive the detailed info that I needed. Thanks anyway.

Hank, I had done a simple search for Tivoli before I posted this question, but did not receive the detailed info that I needed. Thanks anyway.

We are planning to go there as well as indicated in the link posted by Hlitner. I don't think we need to purchase tickets in advance?

Here's hoping it won't be too busy. We are planning to go either on the 29th or the 30th this month.

Edited by fuzzywuzzy

• 1 month later...

As I read the different forums some of the replies are really rude and unecessary. I am spending a lot time reading different post and I am sure I don't see all of them ,so if I post I am sure there might be information elsewhere. why not just suggest where else someone might look in a nice way.

Sorry I had to post this comment but I had just had enough of the negative comments. also you should take into consideration that people might be new to this sight!

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone: I am posting to give you an update of how things went with our trip to Tivoli. I was asking for the info on earlier posts.

Firstly, my DH and I hopped on a city bus from near Piazza Navona which took us to the Tiburtine terminal. We THOUGHT we were going to a bus terminal...lol and when we arrived we were overwhelmed with the size of this place and we were not sure what we were doing or where we should go. We quickly realized we were at a train station. lol.

But by just following the signs we quickly took the escalator up to the upper level and there was the ticket office. There was no one at the counter so we asked the agent for tickets to Tivoli and return. No problem. There was one leaving in about 3/4 of an hour. It only cost us 10 euros for the both of us and return! Wow. Very affordable. BTW, you have to validate your tickets before going to the gate. Luckily I had read about this in Rick Steve's books. Phew. You HAVE to have your ticket validated. There are little machines on the walls and it is a very simple procedure to slide the end of your ticket into this machine which punches it. (I wasn't sure we were doing it correctly but I guess we did because we weren't thrown off the train.) You are asked to show your ticket onboard.

Took train to Tivoli and thoroughly enjoyed the countryside views. We made a few stops along the way. After leaving the train, we checked the schedule posted to see what times the trains were leaving to return to Rome so we had an idea when to be back to catch the train.

We were making our way to Villa d'Este and found it after a bit of walking from train station, down a hill, over a bridge and into town. We asked once and found the site quite easily. It was amazing. We bought our tickets right there onsite. Spent a few hours here and then back out and headed to an outside restaurant for a beer and pizza. The best pizza I have ever had by the way.

So for newbies, we managed quite well. Took the train back late afternoon to Rome. Our bus was sitting right there in the parking area and away we went back to Piazza Navona. This bus ride took about as long as the train ride to Tivoli. LOL.

Edited by fuzzywuzzy