What if you miss Mahogany Bay?

geovet

We looked it up and it seemed that on many days there are two boats at Coxen at the same time. This reassured us that if we miss Mahogany on Crown Princess then with only one other boat in port that day they could try Coxen. Am I incorrect? It was a while ago so I could be wrong. This is my most anticipated port. :)

I heard they miss b/c of winds and size of the channel.

Edited by kat4282

We looked it up and it seemed that on many days there are two boats at Coxen at the same time. This reassured us that if we miss Mahogany on Crown Princess then with only one other boat in port that day they could try Coxen. Am I incorrect? It was a while ago so I could be wrong. This is my most anticipated port. :)

I heard they miss b/c of winds and size of the channel.

Which site did you get that information on 2 ships in Coxen Hole from?

There have been times when smaller vessels from smaller crusie lines have anchored off the harbor at Coxen Hole, but the pier and harbor are more exposed to weather so anchoring might not be an option for larger vessels.

And yes, in Mahogany Bay the channel (actually a cove) is shallow and open to weather so it gets shifty winds and currents. Ships back into the dock.

Everything I see is 2 at Mahogany not Coxen :( I bet my husband just told me that so that I would quit worrying. I have been convinced we would be okay either way, and I stopped asking questions/worrying. I'm going to get him :mad::mad::) Disregard my wrong information and hope for calm wind so all our cruises can dock.

I've heard people comment on missing this port. What is the main reason they would miss docking here?

Does it happen often?

Anytime you are on any of the ships, except maybe the Fantasy class, if there is any sort of wind conditions or heavy rain, the ships have trouble docking.

Carnival dredged the bare minimum to fit their Dream class ships in the inlet to the pier.

Was watching when the Dream was leaving and it had maybe 15-25 feet on either side to spare as it was pulling back out into the ocean.

So on a windy day, where the ship is getting pushed, it is nearly impossible to guide a ship in and most of the Captains have learned better than to try and risk damaging the ship.

The larger the class you are sailing on, the higher chance of having to skip Roatan.

And to the original OP's question, if there is a RCCL, Disney or NCL ship scheduled the same day, as a Carnival, Princess, etc... misses Mahogany Bay, you get a SEA DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill

Edited by bguppies

Having watched from an aft balcony on a day when we missed getting into Mahogany Bay, all I can really say is that whoever decided it was a good spot to put a port should have their head examined. You kinda back in, do a 90 degree turn, and then back the rest of the way in, so winds from multiple directions can cause problems.

It also doesn't necessarily *look* like that bad of an approach if you don't know what to look for, leading to lots of people commenting that the port was just over there and things look fine, why aren't we going in? But they're all looking at the straight path in where all the shallow water is. Meanwhile the pilot boat is bouncing around like crazy. Oh, and to add ambiance, there's the shipwreck that they have positioned there (I'm not sure whether it's a real shipwreck or was positioned there intentionally) right behind where you do the 90 degree turn.

I just did a search on cruisetimetable and found 3 ncl cruise at Rotan on 10/17/2013. So, I wonder where they are docked. I may put this question on the carnival board.

Carnival board will move you back to here.

The information you see for 10/17 is only for the NCL Jewel. I agree there are 3 different cruise itineraries listed there, but only one ship and that agrees with cruisett which also shows only the NCL Jewel in Roatan on 10/17. And Mahogany Bay's CC website show no ships that day on its calendar.

• 2 weeks later...
I was on NCL Spirit and was scheduled to dock at MB. High winds forced us to tender at Coxen Hole, X was at the pier.

This is good to know - we're on Princess and there's only one other ship due in Roatan the day we dock there, so should we have problems, we should be able to move over to Coxen Hole!! :D

Will they try to dock at the other port? We will be on the Glory.

If you miss Mahogany Bay on Glory, you will probably have another "Fun Day at Sea!" :D

These things happen and while being a bit sad the port was cancelled ... you would not have enjoyed it anyway with unfortunate weather conditions. :o

LuLu

~~~~

• 2 weeks later...
I am a "newbie" How do I check as to which ships are in port that day? We cruise from Houston on the Caribbean Princess, leaving Houston on 11/30. I believe Roatan is 12/3.

Hi Maggie, 41 days to go.

Come check in at your Roll Call, we have some fun stuff planned!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1778871&page=11

Rick

~sent using Cruise Critic app~

I don't think that site is correct. I will be there on the Magic Christmas 2014 and it's not listed.

It's there except it looks like you're in Belize on Christmas. Try this link for the ship: http://ships.cruisett.com/schedule/Carnival_Cruise_Lines/Carnival_Magic/December_2014/

Or this link for the port: http://ports.cruisett.com/schedule/Honduras/606-Roatan/December_2014/

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Edited by iwannagocruisin