booking turtle farm on own

gt1701a

Hi everyone. I am interested in booking the turtle farm on my own. I see on the turtle farm website you can book ahead of time and save 20%. They also offer transportation at specified times. I have a few questions.

1. What happens if the ship misses port? (I emailed them and haven't heard back).

2. Good/bad experiences with taking their transportation? I know we can catch a bus or taxi if we miss it.

3. Are there height requirements for the slide into the pool area?

4. How long do you recommend staying here?

We have done the turtle farm part on a previous visit, but have not done the lagoons and other parts of the park. We have also done 7 Mile Beach. I have an almost 5 and 6.5 year old so not quite ready for Stingray City (plus 6.5 year old gets really sea sick).

We just did the turtle farm on our own on a Sept. 15 Carnival Freedom cruise.

I had called them and they told we that they would issue a refund for my tickets if the ship could not tender.

The transportation to and from the farm was excellent. We were a group of nine and were driven free in a large SUV by a very nice driver. We did not have to wait at the pier. We arranged to be picked up at a certain time but were done earlier. A Turtle Farm employee called our driver and he came back early to take us to the pier.

I would suggest approximately 2- 2 1/2 hours would be more than sufficient. The aviary is small.

I am not sure of the height requirement for the slide.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy your cruise.

Did Turtle Park on our own in January 2013 for the 20% discount. Felt we didn't have enough time there for swimming, etc so I'd suggest planning on being there all day. We decided to bus it instead of taking the shuttle since the return times seemed early to us.

Was the water cold for swimming at the turtle farm in January?

• 3 weeks later...
Did Turtle Park on our own in January 2013 for the 20% discount. Felt we didn't have enough time there for swimming, etc so I'd suggest planning on being there all day. We decided to bus it instead of taking the shuttle since the return times seemed early to us.

Hi Canadian Tyler, We are looking at doing this excursion on our own for our cruise NEXT WEEK:D We were thinking about doing the bus there as well. It is a short day... we get there at 11:30 and we have to be back on the ship by 4:45. Could you explain the bus system to me (and cost) if it's not too complicated and would you recommend it with it being such a short day? Thanks

i too would like to do the turtle farm on my own. (ordering tickets online) it is myself and two ten yr olds. we plan on just spending the whole day there so we can enjoy it all with no rush, my question is whats the best (cheapest and safe) way to get there..thanks for any advice

The public buses start at the terminal near the Public Library, a short walk inland from the port. I believe it is approximately $2.50 per person. Just ask the driver if it goes to the turtle farm, they are very helpful.

On the way back from the turtle farm, cross the street and there will be a bus stop near the dolphin place. You can also walk along the sidewalk and the buses will honk and slow down to see if you want a ride.

I know it sounds a little hairy, but it was a pretty easy experience, cheaper than a taxi and more flexible than the free shuttles.

The public buses start at the terminal near the Public Library, a short walk inland from the port. I believe it is approximately $2.50 per person. Just ask the driver if it goes to the turtle farm, they are very helpful.

On the way back from the turtle farm, cross the street and there will be a bus stop near the dolphin place. You can also walk along the sidewalk and the buses will honk and slow down to see if you want a ride.

I know it sounds a little hairy, but it was a pretty easy experience, cheaper than a taxi and more flexible than the free shuttles.

Thanks, we will try this out because I also want to do some shopping if we have time.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Can anyone who's been please tell me if the $18 admission is a good value for adults? How about the $45 ticket? Anyone done the whole park? Is it fun?

I would like to know this as well. I have heard that it is okay to just do the $18 part. I also read that the water to "swim" with the turtles is dirty and there are only five or six in there.

Can anyone recommend whether to do to whole park or just the turtle farm?

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say the smaller part (just the turtle farm) is good if you have other things planned (if the turtle farm is a stop on an island tour). But if it's your only destination and youre making a day of it I'd go for the whole park and bring bathing suits. There's more to see, snorkeling,swimming, waterslide etc.

Sorry cant answer about the turtle swim.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Canadian Tyler

Just back from Georgetown, Grand Cayman...

To answer your question, I think you don't need to do the whole park. We had a great time and did the cheaper ticket.

This was our third trip to Grand Cayman. The first two trips we went to Stingray City with NativeWay tours. This trip we were looking to check out 7-mile beach, the Turtle Farm, and go to Hell. We tendered into shore on local charters which took about 15 minutes. The ship started tendering at about 8:00 am.

Georgetown has a great "public bus" system that is pretty easy to find from Royal Watler Terminal by walking about two blocks inland on Fort Street to the corner of Edward St and Fort Street. (From North Cruise Terminal, follow Cardinall Street two blocks and turn left on Edward Street and walk two more blocks). The buses (little minivans that hold up 10 - 16 passengers) leave every 15 minutes or so (between 6:00 am to 9:00 pm) from a small lot near the public library across the street from Heroes Square. They go pretty much all over the island to the major attractions.

The bus drivers (who speak English) will drop you off anywhere along a route that you want to go. The fare is usually $2.50 U.S. and you pay when you leave the "bus." To catch one going back, you stand on the opposite side of the street from where you're dropped off (or locate a covered bus stop), keeping in mind that locals drive on the left side of the road. If you see a minivan coming, wave at it and it will stop. If it honks at you when approaching, it is because the driver is asking if you want to get on the bus.

The difference between the bus and the taxi (other than price): Taxis license plates are red numbers on a white background; the bus has white numbers on a blue background. Logos located on the front and rear of buses identify routes: Route 1 (yellow) and Route 2 (lime green) cover George Town to WestBay (which includes Seven Mile Beach, Turtle Farm, and Hell) and that's all we needed to know. Here's a look at all of the bus routes.

Hell is only worthy of a 15-20 minute stop --- about enough time to view and take photos and mail a couple of post cards. Hell has jagged rock formations made of ironshore, a type of limestone with a black coloration due to algae. This bleak landscape is how some folks might imagine Hell on Earth would look like. If you look carefully you'll notice Iguanas dotting the rocks. There are two main buildings in Hell: a tourist trap and a Post Office with a fence separating the two. You can view the formations from either location. I recommend asking your driver to drop you off at the Hell Post Office. There are 3 little souvenir shops next to the Post Office which offer what we thought were better post cards than the tourist trap next door. Post cards are 50 cents and stamps to the USA are 25 cents. It was fun to go just so we can say we "went to Hell and back".

Although Hell and the Turtle Farm are only 1.5 miles apart, there are no sidewalks between the two. Riding a bus is recommended. Seven Mile Beach is a definite bus ride from either.

The Turtle Farm, home to 16,000 turtles, is a government-run operation which raises the endangered green sea turtles to increase their population in the wild. Established in 1968, it's the world's only commercial green-sea-turtle farm. "This eco-sensitive turtle farm exists to provide the local market with edible turtle meat (preventing the need to hunt them in the wild) and to replenish the waters with hatcheling and yearling turtles. Visitors can observe turtles in every stage of development in 100 circular concrete tanks. Turtles here range in size from 6 ounces to 600 pounds. At a snack bar and restaurant, you can sample farm-raised-turtle dishes". Not entirely true. The restaurant no longer serves turtle dishes.

Adult cost is $18 for the "Turtle Farm Exploration Tour" which includes just the Turtle Farm (where you can pickup and hold baby turtles) or $45 for the "Turtle Adventure Tour" which includes the entire park. Children 5 to 12 are $9 and $25 respectively (and under 5 are free). You might be able to take advantage of a couple of discounts. The Turtle Farm offers a 20% discount when tickets are bought in advance, and Explore Cayman says you can get a discount of 10% at the Turtle Farm if you walk up to the ticket booth and mention "EXPLORE". This not-so-secret word will also get you 10% off at the Schooner's Bar & Grill and Splash Gift Shop.

We bought tickets online in advance and traded our vouchers for wristbands. Upon entering the farm, the first tank you see is loaded with HUGE 6-foot sea turtles. Several other tanks hold turtles of varying sizes. Loose chickens and iguanas also roam the property. There are a dozen tanks holding baby (1-foot sized) sea turtles. It's fun to catch them for a photo opportunity.

Skip the restaurant. While the view along the rail is good and the shade is comfortable, a jerk chicken sandwich, conch chowder, and a root beer will set you back $28 US. The food wasn't bad but at this price it should be tastier. They also no longer serve turtle here. Two locals suggested Myrtles at Queen's Court next to the 7-mile shops (reasonable close to the pier by bus or taxi) as the "go to" place for great turtle dishes. "They do it right". That's a definate stop for us next time we're here. The Turtle Farm is worth a visit.

If you choose to take a taxi to or from Seven Mile Beach, the cab fare is $4 - $6 pp depending upon how far up the beach you are. Rates are fixed and posted, but be sure to confirm the fare before the driver takes off.

Seven Mile Beach (really 5 miles of nice sand, but who's counting?) is located just north of George Town between the pier and places like the Turtle Farm and Hell. All the beaches on the Cayman Islands are free public beaches. Like everywhere, some of the hotels will charge you to use their chairs and facilities. Since Seven Mile is a sand beach, don't expect much snorkeling, although I understand you can swim about 100 - 200 yards offshore at Cemetary beach and snorkel the reef. The southern part of the Seven Mile is the most heavily developed and closest to the pier.

We asked to be dropped off at Cemetary Beach which is further away from the pier than popular beaches like Sea Grape and Public Beach in an attempt to avoid the crowds from the 5 ships in port that day. It has a public beach access path and shade trees. Our plan was to get dropped off at the far end and walk along the beach back towards the ship. We ended up walking about 1.6 miles to Tiki Beach. It was fun and the beaches were beautiful. We got back on the main road and caught another bus for US$2.50 that dropped us off near the tender and then got in line to board the tenders and headed back to the ship.

We also considered going to the Caybrew Brewery which is about a 10 to 15 minute bus ride in the opposite direction. (Take bus #3, 4, 5, 8 or 9). The Brewery Tour are US$6 and are available Monday through Friday on the hour from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm.

Picture: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/hell.jpg

More "Secrets of the Caribbean": http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

First-hand information on excursions we've taken in 24 Caribbean ports. With photos!

Edited by CaribbeanBound

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Did you see anyone swimming at the beach at the turtle Farm? I hear that the coral is very close to shore and that the snorkeling is great there. I'd love to know all about it.

Does one need to purchase the full pass to gain access to their waterfront?

• 8 months later...