Second hand clothing stores-any other fans?

Gathina

GREAT! It's still even cheaper even if you have to take it to a seamstress,which I've also done. Lucky you ,being handy like that!

At Goodwill I scored a long formal black dress with cowl drapped neckline and some beading , saw the same thing at Macys, don't think it has even been worn , paid $6. Have to do some minor alterations, but I can do that myself , yes I love a bargin.....

Cori

I was at Goodwill yesterday in Deerfield Beach, scored a Talbot's blouse-again looked like it was never worn..$6. We went to another Goodwill in Delray Beach as we were on a road trip and although not clothes-scored some vintage 1960s-1970s green glass (I collect green class) for $1 each per mug and tray. Today we're going to another one closer to our home as I'm looking for a waffle iron. The other thing I get at second hand stores is my "old school" cooking things-I can't tell you how many brand new bread makers, waffle irons, etc. I've seen, I even bought 2 dressers from the Art Deco era and paid $40 once. Happy for the bargains I can pick up, but also a grim reminder of how much waste we have in this country!

I could use a new bread maker, mine is getting old , but we love the fresh bread , especially in the winter months , nothing beats the smell of baking bread when you come into a house. I am going to keep an eye out for a bread maker , don't think I have ever seen one in a goodwill , so now I have something to look for. My daughter also love to browse in thrift stores, she has gotten some really nice things for her home.

Cori

I saw like 5 of them today-all but one of them was new and they were around $15. Buying bread was an eye opener (like the clothes) when I got married and saw how expensive it was as my husband LOVES bread. Mine I got for free on freecycle and it was never used. It's amazing how you can make bread for pennies compared to the price of buying a loaf. http://www.Freecycle.org is in almost every major city. You put on there what your getting rid of for free, then someone responds then you both arrange for pickup. I've never gotten clothes from there but I've given away quite a bit and I see a lot of others giving away too.

I could use a new bread maker, mine is getting old , but we love the fresh bread , especially in the winter months , nothing beats the smell of baking bread when you come into a house. I am going to keep an eye out for a bread maker , don't think I have ever seen one in a goodwill , so now I have something to look for. My daughter also love to browse in thrift stores, she has gotten some really nice things for her home.

Cori

Took my dad for his doctor appointment yesterday which was 2 hours away from where we live. After the appointment we decided to do some shopping. Found a huge Goodwill and went in to look around. They had a pretty large formal section and I managed to score 2 formals that fit perfectly! 1 a floor length black sparkly dress, padded bust with sheer black "halter" style straps. And the 2nd dress, A floor length black heavy satin with a pink sparkly lace overlay on the top 2/3 of the dress, has a bit of poof to it in the skirt. This one has a bit of train (took it into a friend of mine who does alterations to remove the train), but otherwise fits perfectly! They were each only $10.

Welcome to the "dark side" :)! Great finds!

Took my dad for his doctor appointment yesterday which was 2 hours away from where we live. After the appointment we decided to do some shopping. Found a huge Goodwill and went in to look around. They had a pretty large formal section and I managed to score 2 formals that fit perfectly! 1 a floor length black sparkly dress, padded bust with sheer black "halter" style straps. And the 2nd dress, A floor length black heavy satin with a pink sparkly lace overlay on the top 2/3 of the dress, has a bit of poof to it in the skirt. This one has a bit of train (took it into a friend of mine who does alterations to remove the train), but otherwise fits perfectly! They were each only $10.

Hehe, I'm a bargain shopper from way back. My husband loves consignment shopping as well and whenever we travel somewhere we try to find one around just to browse, though more often than not we find something that makes it's way home with us.

I'm going to NYC for a quickie visit later this month and have a list of thrift stores I hope to try (well, not all, but some at least)

This is one list (Housing Works have been on my list since my last trip to New York a couple years ago - I didn't make it that trip) http://notdeadyetstyle.blogspot.com/2013/06/favorite-thrift-stores-how-did-they-get.html

A good friend of mine from high school lives in NYC and she's told me a couple other neighborhoods - I want to try the Opera shop on 23rd and there are a bunch of other thrift stores nearby http://www.pinterest.com/cityoperathrift/

Potentially visiting Hell's Kitchen flea market on Sunday morning....

Anyone else have favorites in Manhattan I should add to my list?

Oh what FUN! I popped into Goodwill yesterday while on a local business trip and saw the most GORGEOUS red velvet colored- like red velvet cake color-curved sofa from the Art Deco area, with chrome "feet". I love art deco and mid-century furnishings..the sofa was in pristine condition and $299..if I had the place for it I would have spent the money on it. It's very similar to what you'd see at a lounge in South Beach Miami.

No clothes for me , but I did see some really nice Burberry men's dress shirts, that looked to be new..for $10.00

• 2 weeks later...

Had to post this one-visiting my BFF in Columbia S.C. and of course we had to head to Goodwill-everything on the dollar rack was 50 cents today-I walked out with a fabulous pair of Talbot's capri pants, in madras plaid! All I need is a white or pink Tee and a pair of keds tennies and I'm good to go!

I love thrift and second hand stores! Went to a local one that just opened and got a pair of Lucky brand jeans (retail 130) for 25 and a pair of Citizens of Humanity jeans (still with tag- 175) for 13. Also got a pair of Lucky brand jeans for about 5 dollars at another thrift shop. Gotten a dress and skirt that are White House Black Market for about 15 dollars total. It is so much better (and cheaper) to shop second hand for me.

I love thrift and second hand stores! Went to a local one that just opened and got a pair of Lucky brand jeans (retail 130) for 25 and a pair of Citizens of Humanity jeans (still with tag- 175) for 13. Also got a pair of Lucky brand jeans for about 5 dollars at another thrift shop. Gotten a dress and skirt that are White House Black Market for about 15 dollars total. It is so much better (and cheaper) to shop second hand for me.

It's also a lot of fun. You can go in every week and there will be different things. Since many thrift shops are sponsored by charities (like Goodwill) you are also helping the community. A real win-win situation.

I'm going to NYC for a quickie visit later this month and have a list of thrift stores I hope to try (well, not all, but some at least)

This is one list (Housing Works have been on my list since my last trip to New York a couple years ago - I didn't make it that trip) http://notdeadyetstyle.blogspot.com/2013/06/favorite-thrift-stores-how-did-they-get.html

A good friend of mine from high school lives in NYC and she's told me a couple other neighborhoods - I want to try the Opera shop on 23rd and there are a bunch of other thrift stores nearby http://www.pinterest.com/cityoperathrift/

Potentially visiting Hell's Kitchen flea market on Sunday morning....

Anyone else have favorites in Manhattan I should add to my list?

BBM

Was there in the spring and scored a Burberry jacket that fit great (and had dry cleaning tags) and two pairs of Ralph Lauren lightweight gabardine pants that fit perfectly (each also had dry cleaning tags). By the way, I'm a 12 on top and a 14 in pants and skirts, and there was quite a good selection in those sizes.

Please give us feedback following your visit--and GOOD LUCK!

Amazing finds for everyone. Reading these one thinks about how much we may have wasted on clothes we "thought" were well made, fashionable, etc. at the Goodwill in Columbia they had a great array of coats, too, and if you notice the "old school" styles are coming back. I was at another giant thrift store and they had all kinds of Salvatore Ferragamo shoes for under $20 that were in great condition and a few Cole Hahn's for under $10

• 2 weeks later...

Posting an "FYI" in case anyone is interested...I did a bit of shopping this past week and noticed a lot of 75% and off sales at many shops on clothes this week-seems many shops (in this area) are making room for all the donations coming in from seasonal FL snowbirds/residents. Saw a lot of beautiful coats, jackets, etc. from Ann Klein and others. I bought a light weight white corduroy slim pant suit with gorgeous buttons on it for $2 at the Hospice store here-perfect for a FL chilly winter day

So many amazing finds ladies! I am just wondering... I, too, live in south Florida but the few times DH and I have gone into thrift shops (we have friends who swear by them but they aren't buying any good clothes - just cheap tees, pullovers, etc), I just cannot stand the smell. We took one day last year and went from thrift shop to thrift shop to thrift shop - and I will say that 99% had that awful smell - like unwashed and sweaty clothing - the couple of consignment shops we went in were better but pretty pricey. (If a blouse was $495 to begin with and is now $175, that isn't a bargain for me)- I wouldn't pay that much for any blouse anyway. Where are y'all finding all these clothes that don't smell awful?????? I know that you launder or dry cleaning anything you buy - I understand that - but I just cannot get past that awful smell to go poke around. Gathina, when I lose about 10-15 more pounds, I would like to find a Lilly P. dress - one of the bright ones, i.e., lime green/pink or turquoise/pink, etc - any suggestions in PB that would be a good place to go to look? Thanks for any suggestions! PS - DH and I had a great time poking around in those stores in Notting Hill last spring - but alas, we were limited to those pesky 50 lbs of luggage each, so we couldn't bring back much.

Hmmm..not sure where you are, but I live/work between Palm Beach and Miami. My best places:

1. Goodwill Boutique-Palm Beach Gardens, a lot of designer ware on the cheap. The clothes are priced higher compared to most Goodwill's but there are some good finds. Have seen a lot of good shoes there: Cole Hahn, Salvatore Ferragamo, etc.

2. Nearly New Shop-West Palm Beach..run by a Jewish hospice (I think), Dixie Highway/Belevdere Rd. area. I buy a lot there,bought my Escada suits (2 for 80)

3. Animal Rescue League-Dixie highway just south of Okeechobee in West Palm Beach-a LOT of designer stuff, very reasonable, have seen a lot of Calvin Klein and Elaine Fischer there,even some vintage.

4. The Church Mouse-Island of Palm Beach-actually run by my church and the stuff is a little pricey but I can deal with it because it all goes to charity

5. Goodwill, Deerfield Beach: Hillsboro/US1 intersection area. I buy all my Talbots things there. Much of it brand new and $5-10 range. The gals there told me they draw a lot from the Boca Raton crowd.

6. Goodwill, Delray Beach, north of Atlantic off US 1-very good place for vintage furniture, glassware, etc. Clothes are priced reasonable though I haven't seen an over abundance of designer stuff which is odd to me given the location.

7. Goodwill, Dixie/Southern Blvd. area--now it's an old building so there is some of "that smell" but the bargains are fabulous. She sold me twin dressers from the Art Deco era for $40 when they were marked $50 each. Last week I bought a brand new dehydrator for $9 that was selling for $80 on Amazon, so have been making a lot of dried fruit for snacks.

South FL Goodwills mark their stuff off on Sundays

Lilly P dresses-I see them all the time at the Deerfield Goodwill and also at the Church Mouse (though pricey at the CM). Interesting antedote:she attended my church and I can't tell you how many times she said good morning to me, etc. and I had no clue who it was! She died recently and there were so many beautiful write ups about her in the paper locally about what a down to earth, humble person she was.

Hope this helps..these stores I noted don't have "that smell" to me, and i know for a fact the Church Mouse has their own dry cleaning facility,etc.

So many amazing finds ladies! I am just wondering... I, too, live in south Florida but the few times DH and I have gone into thrift shops (we have friends who swear by them but they aren't buying any good clothes - just cheap tees, pullovers, etc), I just cannot stand the smell. We took one day last year and went from thrift shop to thrift shop to thrift shop - and I will say that 99% had that awful smell - like unwashed and sweaty clothing - the couple of consignment shops we went in were better but pretty pricey. (If a blouse was $495 to begin with and is now $175, that isn't a bargain for me)- I wouldn't pay that much for any blouse anyway. Where are y'all finding all these clothes that don't smell awful?????? I know that you launder or dry cleaning anything you buy - I understand that - but I just cannot get past that awful smell to go poke around. Gathina, when I lose about 10-15 more pounds, I would like to find a Lilly P. dress - one of the bright ones, i.e., lime green/pink or turquoise/pink, etc - any suggestions in PB that would be a good place to go to look? Thanks for any suggestions! PS - DH and I had a great time poking around in those stores in Notting Hill last spring - but alas, we were limited to those pesky 50 lbs of luggage each, so we couldn't bring back much.
Edited by Gathina

Gathina - thank you SOOOOOOOOO much - you are really good at this! My birthday is this coming week and I was thinking perhaps DH and I will just take the day and wander around some of the places you suggested - I would really like a Lilly P dress - I know they run really small - I wear a size 10 and it has been suggested that I would need at least a 16 in Lilly P! Hope I can get past that if I find some I like. Will let you know how I make out.

Again, many many thanks for your help!

Cindiedee

Meant to mention-in many of those shops on the counter there is actually a booklet you can buy with ALL of the shops in PB county-a woman actually went to all of them and critiqued them-I think its $5 but it might be well spent and it had literally every one in the county.

I'll add one more to the list I found last week..Salvation Army Superstore on Military south of Okeechobee-I bought a 1960's Chinese cabinet there for $80 last week and another customer was trying to jockey me out of buying it. They have a great selection of clothes and labels pretty reasonable but it's an older store so a "2" on the smell scale out of 5 :) Let us know what you find!

Gathina - thank you SOOOOOOOOO much - you are really good at this! My birthday is this coming week and I was thinking perhaps DH and I will just take the day and wander around some of the places you suggested - I would really like a Lilly P dress - I know they run really small - I wear a size 10 and it has been suggested that I would need at least a 16 in Lilly P! Hope I can get past that if I find some I like. Will let you know how I make out.

Cindiedee

Score at the thrift shop. This was not clothes , but a new Juicer, perfect condition, for only $7 , my daughter was jazzed to get it. She had been looking for one and they are pretty pricey , tried it out when she got home, works perfect. Just wanted to share.. :)

Cori

Doing a major closet cleaning and am giving it all to the local church thrift store , all proceeds go to , retirement home, special school and adoption agency. So I feel good about cleaning out closet and the clothes and house hold items are going to a good cause, Plus that make more room for me to shop , Good all around. :)

Great! I bought a new dehydrator for $10 never used so now stocked up healthy dried snacks.

It's staggering to see the things people get rid of. I don't think I'll ever shop in a regular name brand store again if I can help it. Today my talbot's outfit-trousers and blouse-cost me a whopping $8 and both look like they were never worn when I bought them.

Shop on ladies!

Score at the thrift shop. This was not clothes , but a new Juicer, perfect condition, for only $7 , my daughter was jazzed to get it. She had been looking for one and they are pretty pricey , tried it out when she got home, works perfect. Just wanted to share.. :)

Cori

It's staggering to see the things people get rid of. I don't think I'll ever shop in a regular name brand store again if I can help it.

The flip side of this, of course, is the thrift or consignment store that tries to sell a Target brand top for $7 or $10, when I *know* I can get the same thing on clearance at Target for $3, so..... Buyer beware! The only way to know if/when you're getting a bargain is to know what prices are in regular stores, esp those who drop prices quite a bit at sale time. And tips like shopping at uncommon or unpopular branches of stores - eg we have a Macys in a bad mall that doesn't stock a lot of the higher end brands that the nicer Macys do. But they still accept returns on all items, so you can often find great bargains on things like Eileen Fisher.....

As in all things, caveat emptor:D

Cindiedee

Not true. I can't tell you how much Lilly I have.:o Yes, she does seem to run a bit small but in a dress you would only need to go up a size. Now, if it's older vintage Lilly, yes, that runs extremely small and you would have to go up several sizes.

I'm over Lilly and would like to find a good resale shop for it but there are no better ones in my area. I just don't have the heart to dump it in a collection box.