Second hand clothing stores-any other fans?

Gathina

Lilly herself, by the way was an average size 10 or 12-she was no petite thing. Maybe that's why I never paid attention to her every Sunday in church..LOL.. As in all clothes vintage, the sizes are smaller.

If it's something you can get at Target or TJ Maxx and it's at a thrift store, I don't equate those to be bargains. The thrift idea is to get that "item" you can't otherwise afford and it's some fabulous brand. I'm headed to London again in March for another business trip and have my route staked out again! What I REALLY want is a vintage Pucci..not skinny enough yet for one but if I find it and buy it I will find a way to fit into it! :)

Not true. I can't tell you how much Lilly I have.:o Yes, she does seem to run a bit small but in a dress you would only need to go up a size. Now, if it's older vintage Lilly, yes, that runs extremely small and you would have to go up several sizes.

I'm over Lilly and would like to find a good resale shop for it but there are no better ones in my area. I just don't have the heart to dump it in a collection box.

If it's something you can get at Target or TJ Maxx and it's at a thrift store, I don't equate those to be bargains. The thrift idea is to get that "item" you can't otherwise afford and it's some fabulous brand.

Well, realize we don't all shop at thrift stores for the same reasons:rolleyes:

I did it as a poor student years ago and it was fun to have clothing that was different from others, plus, my style hasn't always been the kind of thing I could find in stores that year. This past couple years I've been doing it because I lost a ton of weight and had to rebuild a wardrobe, as well as have some clothing to wear during the weight loss when I had nothing in my closet that fit. For many reasons, I just needed cheap clothing for a short period of time.

I know, I did the same thing as I mentioned in my other post (or maybe it was in the other thread)

I will confess, it felt good to wear my Escada suit yesterday and know the "real" price of what it was and get a lot of compliments on the suit!

Well, realize we don't all shop at thrift stores for the same reasons:rolleyes:

I did it as a poor student years ago and it was fun to have clothing that was different from others, plus, my style hasn't always been the kind of thing I could find in stores that year. This past couple years I've been doing it because I lost a ton of weight and had to rebuild a wardrobe, as well as have some clothing to wear during the weight loss when I had nothing in my closet that fit. For many reasons, I just needed cheap clothing for a short period of time.

Lilly herself, by the way was an average size 10 or 12-she was no petite thing. Maybe that's why I never paid attention to her every Sunday in church..LOL.. As in all clothes vintage, the sizes are smaller.

If it's something you can get at Target or TJ Maxx and it's at a thrift store, I don't equate those to be bargains. The thrift idea is to get that "item" you can't otherwise afford and it's some fabulous brand. I'm headed to London again in March for another business trip and have my route staked out again! What I REALLY want is a vintage Pucci..not skinny enough yet for one but if I find it and buy it I will find a way to fit into it! :)

Not sure why you included this with your response to my post.:confused:

Not sure why you included this with your response to my post.:confused:

Pretty sure it was in response to another post (eg mine, just above yours), and the response was meant to encapsulate responses to multiple others, not just yours. Not everyone uses multiple quotations.

Edited by Hoyaheel

Correct-sorry ladies, I'm a "tech tard" when it comes to computer "etiquette"! Started my "garbage shoe purge" last week and looking for shoes now..pickings on good shoes are slim it seems at the shops though I have found some Cohl Hahn's, just not my size.

Pretty sure it was in response to another post (eg mine, just above yours), and the response was meant to encapsulate responses to multiple others, not just yours. Not everyone uses multiple quotations.

Lucked out last week!

Sage green Chinese cheongsam dress (Chinese dress with slit up the leg style)

Brand new, never worn

Great price too

Only problem at my age is that I need a little shaper to tuck in the tummy area.

But I love this dress:)

Can see this for formal night

And being Asian, feel this is so right for me

Correct-sorry ladies, I'm a "tech tard" when it comes to computer "etiquette"! Started my "garbage shoe purge" last week and looking for shoes now..pickings on good shoes are slim it seems at the shops though I have found some Cohl Hahn's, just not my size.

No harm no foul.:) If you would like to quote more than one post, just click on the " on the lower right hand corner for each post, hit reply then post what you want under each post.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks! :)

No bargains for me lately-just did another clothing purge, grew "into"all my old favorite jeans and now they are worn thin-or I'm swimming in them...the type of Levis I like don't even exist anymore..so back to Goodwill I go. I did pick up a vintage Italian scarf-orange/yellow/brown/white..very retro..$1 at Goodwill and many compliments.

No harm no foul.:) If you would like to quote more than one post, just click on the " on the lower right hand corner for each post, hit reply then post what you want under each post.

We made a trip to Goodwill this past weekend for the first of the month half off sale. I picked up some cardigans with the price tags still attached for $3 and my DH and son found some nice dress shirts. We walked out with a whole bag full of clothes for $24 so it was a successful trip!

Don't forget to start or go down as far as the other end of Portabello, it's not as "tidy" as the vintage stores but good for a rummage. Get there really early if going at the weekend, it is nuts by mid morning.

Last trip I also found some lovely vintage jewelry. There are a few indoor stalls peppered throughout the market with a ton of vintage stuff, its brilliant. I will be back home probably May and will definitely be having a look. I also love all the vintage crockery/cutlery and even the food served throughout the market is great.

(I am with you on the Target/Maxx thing).

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

Hey, to me if it's not "tidy" then that means there are more bargains to be found. I actually found 4 near the Finchley Road tube station. I find the British Heart Association has great stores. My friend I stay with is in Chorleywood and she said there's a few there also. But my main thing this trip is to stock up on John Brown hair products and believe it or not, Zoflora, a cleaning agent. I am also on a hunt to buy really decent shoes and willing to plunk the cash down to do it. Cant find any decent ones new or even thrift here and remember seeing a lot of great shoes from Spain, Italy, etc. in Londonl

Don't forget to start or go down as far as the other end of Portabello, it's not as "tidy" as the vintage stores but good for a rummage. Get there really early if going at the weekend, it is nuts by mid morning.

Last trip I also found some lovely vintage jewelry. There are a few indoor stalls peppered throughout the market with a ton of vintage stuff, its brilliant. I will be back home probably May and will definitely be having a look. I also love all the vintage crockery/cutlery and even the food served throughout the market is great.

(I am with you on the Target/Maxx thing).

Now shoes, that really is my specialty! Not a week goes by where I don't buy some sort of footwear, mainly sandals of course being in Florida but I just cannot pass up something that catches my eye. When I was younger if I couldn't decide which ones I just bought them all and I am talking $500 Prada, Chanel etc. I have a bit more sense now...lol.

Since rehab I have got them down to about 250 pairs:D:D Luckily I have a huge walk in closet, the size of my parents third bedroom back home, it was one of the things I was most excited about when we built our home.

Your girlfriend will know where to take you for good shoes in London.