New position on board!

JerseyshoreBruce

On every Carnival ship they have a crew Human Resources person which is a brand new position created by Carnival management to help the crew with any complaints they may have. Seems to me the crew which has lacked personality in the past few years is being much more friendly and remembering guests names again as they did a few years back.

Not really a "new" position ...just one of those behind the scenes ones that isn't out front on a microphone hosting a shipboard game show:

http://"http://www.cclcareers.com/fun-careers/hotel-operations/corporate-training-and-administration.aspx"]

Right, but how are they going to know that their staff 'needs assistance'... or at least, that we think so...
:confused::confused::confused:

HR has nothing to do with passengers. It's internal. Staff go to HR when THEY have an issue.

How new of a position is this? I'm pretty sure that the person who did our behind the fun tour on the Victory in January 2012 was a human resource person.

A cruise ship is big enough with so many employees, each ship should have a human resource manager on board.

We just did the behind the fun tour on the Imagination and our guide was from HR and she said their were two onboard

I think that goes both ways. Happy crew makes for happy passengers; Happy passengers makes for happy crew. I don't care how dedicated a crew member is, after enough crabby, demanding passengers it starts to wear on them. I'm amazed and ashamed at how some passengers treat the crew.

I totally agree. We have seen some terrible treatment of the crew and they always respond in such a nice manner. Sometimes I make a comment hoping the rude passenger will hear me. They are not our personal servants!:mad:

I'm confused by this person's job. Is it to 'help' staff or guests? Because our MDR crew needed some serious help but it wouldn't help too much to identify them by name as they went incognito... "Bruce Wayne" etc

If you work for a big enough company that has a human resource department its more to protect the company and the employee NOT the guests

Sort of like a clerk and manager working at whatever company and the manager harasses the clerk for whatever reason ,they can contact HR so it will stop and sort out any issues before it becomes a lawsuit for the company

I was on The Fascination in 2011 for Easter week , on the first day I was having a conversation with my cabin steward who seem a bit out of sorts although pleasant to me he then told me a lot of his cabins the week before had a lot of young adults for spring break not only were they very messy they also did not leaves tips for anyone, he also said this was true throughout the ship. One bartender I talked to also told me a quite of few customer actually went to guess services and had the bar tips removed, I can see why sometimes the crew is not happy all the time. If you go to guess services at the beginning of each cruise you can see people lined up not only to put cash on their S & S cards but to remove tips. I feel this is very sad. Some these people only make $100.00 a month plus tips. So please remember these people work extremely hard and very long hours not only do I give kind words I also give the ones who I feel did an excellent job a liitle extra each cruise. I usually give the cabin steward some on the first and last day of each cruise, and also the bar tenders and dining room staff if earned and my experie:):):)nces in the MDR have always been top notch.:):):)

Cruising on FREEDOM in June, we met one "American" ... a young man who was involved with the Camp Carnival program, but like so many, had "other" jobs to do. He said very few Americans are hired because of the salaries, long work hours, etc. We learned from our lead waiter in the dining room that his wife was the manager of the steakhouse, and that there were a number of married couples onboard - primarily Russian, Polish, etc., and that they were permitted their own cabin. The staff we've encountered have all been friendly, and if they didn't speak much English, at least they had a smile and a nod of acknowledgement when you spoke to them. Cruisers shouldn't demean or belittle them...after all, even while they're working, they get to be aboard the ship, go to the shows and visit the ports when they're off for six months at a time....what cruisers pay money to do for a week!

Cruising on FREEDOM in June, we met one "American" ... a young man who was involved with the Camp Carnival program, but like so many, had "other" jobs to do. He said very few Americans are hired because of the salaries, long work hours, etc. We learned from our lead waiter in the dining room that his wife was the manager of the steakhouse, and that there were a number of married couples onboard - primarily Russian, Polish, etc., and that they were permitted their own cabin. The staff we've encountered have all been friendly, and if they didn't speak much English, at least they had a smile and a nod of acknowledgement when you spoke to them. Cruisers shouldn't demean or belittle them...after all, even while they're working, they get to be aboard the ship, go to the shows and visit the ports when they're off for six months at a time....what cruisers pay money to do for a week!

I'm sure that you don't mean to imply that this [what I highlighted in red] is the reason that cruisers shouldn't demean or belittle the staff. Surely, the reason the staff should not be belittled is because they are fellow human beings. In addition, being aboard the ship while working, even though they may be able to see the shows while serving guests, is not in any way nearly the same as being on the ship while on vacation. Also, I am pretty sure that most of the staff go home to their families and to rest when they are off for four months.

I'm sure that you don't mean to imply that this [what I highlighted in red] is the reason that cruisers shouldn't demean or belittle the staff. Surely, the reason the staff should not be belittled is because they are fellow human beings. In addition, being aboard the ship while working, even though they may be able to see the shows while serving guests, is not in any way nearly the same as being on the ship while on vacation. Also, I am pretty sure that most of the staff go home to their families and to rest when they are off for four months.

Wow! You took the words out of my mouth!

Someone who thinks that seeing "the shows" or a "port of call" while working is the same same as seeing it while on vacation is, well, out-of-touch. Speaking as someone who has worked in the hospitality/tourism industry, they are woefully mistaken, in my opinion.

And, many of the "rank-and-file" staffmembers don't get 6 months off between contracts like the officers and higher-ups do (Do they even get 6 months?). From my research, it's more like 2 -3 months off for the "average joe/jane crewmember".

And from what I understand after speaking to a US-based crewmember on our Ruby Princess voyage, most of the non-American crewmembers (especially Caribbean, Asian, or Eastern European crewmembers) never have the financial opportunity to cruise during their off-time!

And of course, staff--or anyone anywhere--should never be demeaned or belittled!

If the service is that bad (which I doubt), request to speak to a manager and give them the chance to resolve it!

Archived