New position on board!

JerseyshoreBruce

On every Carnival ship they have a crew Human Resources person which is a brand new position created by Carnival management to help the crew with any complaints they may have. Seems to me the crew which has lacked personality in the past few years is being much more friendly and remembering guests names again as they did a few years back.

How new of a position is this? I'm pretty sure that the person who did our behind the fun tour on the Victory in January 2012 was a human resource person.

A cruise ship is big enough with so many employees, each ship should have a human resource manager on board.

Maybe it's an additional HR person...

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

In 2011 -- I'm pretty sure our Behind the Fun Tour was led by the Assistant HR manager - we did meet the HR manager during a break in the crew training room. Since that was her job, she told us quite a bit about it. It was very informative

It was on the Spirit

And " to help the crew with any complaints they may have".

This has nothing to do with the passenger?

Indirectly, crew happiness has quite a bit to do with the passengers.

We were on VALOR back in June.

It was obvious that Valor is a happy ship. The staff are superb!

We just came back from Glory(New England, Canada cruise) in mid-September.

Compared to Valor, GLORY is not a happy ship.

It's not an un-happy ship, mind you

but it certainly isn't a happy ship on the scale of Valor.

We found the difference in crew attitude to be noticeable..except for Arvin..

They were OK, but they weren't Valor-happy.

Indirectly, crew happiness has quite a bit to do with the passengers.

This cannot be stated enough. This is the absolute truth..in fact, I feel crew happiness has a MAJOR impact on the feel of the sail as a whole.

Indirectly, crew happiness has quite a bit to do with the passengers..

I think that goes both ways. Happy crew makes for happy passengers; Happy passengers makes for happy crew. I don't care how dedicated a crew member is, after enough crabby, demanding passengers it starts to wear on them. I'm amazed and ashamed at how some passengers treat the crew.

Not questioning the OP's info because I have no idea, but man if Carnival didn't have an HR rep on the ship before that seems crazy. A crew that size almost has to have someone to do personnel stuff on a regular basis. But who knows, maybe it was an extra duty for someone in the purser's office or something.

In 2011 -- I'm pretty sure our Behind the Fun Tour was led by the Assistant HR manager - we did meet the HR manager during a break in the crew training room. Since that was her job, she told us quite a bit about it. It was very informative

It was on the Spirit

This was our experience, too, on the Glory 2010, but we didn't have the asst.....we had the HR manager. She was very good, tho most on our tour wish she had brought duct tape to shut up one person on the tour who dominated (extremely) the 'do you have any questions' part of the tour. :rolleyes::(

This new position was announced by John about a year ago. At the time he said that it would relieve the CD from some of those direct supervisory tasks and help to standardize corporate policy across the fleet.

I think there is sometimes friction between various departments and this position will help lessen those tensions.

I've really never had anything other than good relations with any of the crew. I think they have a very difficult task when dealing with the guests who can be demanding and rude.

This cannot be stated enough. This is the absolute truth..in fact, I feel crew happiness has a MAJOR impact on the feel of the sail as a whole.

ABSOLUTELY TRUE! I keep sailing "Paradise" over and over simply because the crew is so happy, and upbeat! I think it comes from the Captain right on down. Every "Paradise" cruise I've taken has been a JOY! THANKS CARNIVAL, and PARADISE!

"SKY"

How did they find a berth for this position?

And " to help the crew with any complaints they may have". This has nothing to do with the passenger?

Perhaps you have never worked in customer service.

Having worked in the customer service arena, staff morale has a lot to do with the service provided to the customer (you).

Cruise ship staff, waiters/waitresses in general, and other front-line customer service personnel are people too, just like you and me. They have thoughts, feelings, and emotions. Dealing with the public can be brutal--customers can be rude, nasty, and downright abusive...sometimes for no other reason than just because they can.

If the employer is unsupportive to boot, service suffers further. Human beings aren't robots--poor treatment, abuse from customers, poor working conditions etc. comes out one way or another.

I thought the Glory crew were super happy & awesome in Feb. In Aug, i thought the Breeze crew were ok, but nothing special.

I think a lot of it comes from the cd. I know that Butch is a favorite, but he was very condescending and rude to me, so the Breeze staff not being awesome as normal isn't surprising to me. I hope he goes to another ship so i can go back on the Breeze.

I thought the Glory crew were super happy & awesome in Feb. In Aug, i thought the Breeze crew were ok, but nothing special.

I think a lot of it comes from the cd. I know that Butch is a favorite, but he was very condescending and rude to me, so the Breeze staff not being awesome as normal isn't surprising to me. I hope he goes to another ship so i can go back on the Breeze.

It's mostly the hotel director that sets the tone as he is the boss. On two of my most favorite cruises (on the same ship with the same HD) , when talking with the crew, they mentioned how Hugo (hotel director) made them all feel like family. They were two of my most memorable cruises because the crew was outstanding.

I'm confused by this person's job. Is it to 'help' staff or guests? Because our MDR crew needed some serious help but it wouldn't help too much to identify them by name as they went incognito... "Bruce Wayne" etc

Human Resources is for staff.

Archived