Belize & Grand Cayman... Tenders :(

RTlady00

We had cave tubing booked non-cruise line in Belize and we were disappointed. We found out if you had booked with CCL, they would have taken you way further up the river (we had to walk 40 min in the hot jungle carrying inflatable tubes over our heads and we got less time in the river). The tour company while nice, didn't deliver on the things promised. The tender line for Belize was very, very, very long and very hot.

The following year, we had a Grand Caymen catamaran snorkel with stingray sandbar booked through CCL and it was an awesome day, I don't even remember tendering at all, but I guess we must have?

There was a big difference, and I guess that's one advantage to booking thru cruise line. Matter of fact, I've never once had a cruise sponsored excursion that didn't blow our mind. Can't say that about the all (some, yes, but not all) of the ones we booked independent of the cruise line. Saving time in an already short port of call day would definitely encourage us to book with the cruise line. I'd rather save money on pointless bingo and get a sure bet of a tour myself!

What cave tubing company did you go with? Most of the reviews of private companies say they go further than the cruise line tours. If we decide to do cave tubing in Belize we want to steer clear of the company you used.

Ate the Belize tenders as rough and fast as they used to be? My hc daughter is going with us and I'm not sure her spine can handle the ride. We're thinking about a spa day on the ship

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

Hi All

Used the tenders in Belize last week.. They have new tenders really nice the ride was fast tenders great. Was pleasantly surprised to all the updates to the tenders and to the port since my last stop in Belize in 2009. Go for it.

They are now using " Caribbean 63'," by cooper marine, st Petersburg, fl for the tenders very nice

pat

murrells inlet, sc

What cave tubing company did you go with? Most of the reviews of private companies say they go further than the cruise line tours. If we decide to do cave tubing in Belize we want to steer clear of the company you used.

I don't necessarily think it was their fault, they were operating off of a crunched schedule because the RCI passengers with us had an earlier All Aboard. You might do well to make sure that you try to get with only fellow ship passengers to help your schedule? Or just book thru the cruise line... But as far as they go, the whole day was rushed from beginning to end. I like the people that operated the tour so I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt that it was difficult to work with two different schedules.

I just have learned that every single excursion I ever booked through a cruise line was one of the most memorable and 100% of them have been good (our own personal experience, I know not everyone has that.) We sometimes have opted to take our own taxis (to Volcanic Natl Park, wonderful! Got to see so much more. or to Chankanaab, again, just makes sense, its the destination, doesn't need a tour.) But the actual excursions that we booked non cruise line have been some great, some ok, and some problematic.

Edited by TwinPrincessMermaids

Did the zip line in Belize - long bus ride, but what a great experience. Agree that Belize City is a pit.

Cayman Islands - went to 7 mile beach, which was just OK. Sit in the bar across the street from the dock and watch the huge lines to get on the tender. Then, when there is almost no one left, finish your drinks and cross the street. The longer you wait, the more exciting it is :eek:

It's been a while since I've been to Belize, but we had a great experience last time and are looking forward to visiting again on our upcoming Christmas cruise aboard the Sunshine.

I don't recall the tender being particularly long or choppy, but I guess the length and choppiness of the tender would depend on how rough the seas were. During our last visit to Belize we took the Altun Ha Mayan site and River Wallace tour. We did that excursion because our son was just under 3 and it was basically a scenic boat ride and walking around at the ruins.

We saw a lot of wildlife on the River Wallace boat trip, including many monkeys and a family of manatees. That was really cool and very memorable. Even my now 11 year old son remembers seeing the manatees, and he was not yet 3 years old at the time.

I'm glad you are now looking forward to visiting Belize, RTLady00! Thanks for posting the pics, Tapi!

Edited by Laurin612

We were just in Belize and GC 2 weeks ago. The Belize tender took 25 minutes once it pushed from the ship. GC was about 5 min. GC was incredible, my first time there and I liked it a lot. If you go to Belize, you better do an excursion because there isn't anything to do there. We were going to do the Xunantunich ruins excursion, but it got cancelled. Some people chose to go on the other ruins tour in its place, but that got cancelled when en route to the ruins a bridge collapsed.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Belize not worth it. 40 minute tender ride 1 way and Belize is a hole. Grand Cayman however different story. Very short tender ride and a beautiful island.

I'm guessing you mean 20 mins each way. I agree however, Belize is a sad place. I'm sure it is fine once you get past Belize City, unfortunately you have to go through belize City to get there.

I felt very unsafe and I never left the port area. Too many uniforms with high caliber weapons standing around. And the port was super crowded.

I have no desire to return to Belize.

I wouldn't. What did people do before FTTF? Just get down to the waiting/ticket area early. Save $50.

Don't waste your money on FTTF for priority tendering - it is no longer a perk at all for anyone.

Carnival allows up to 10 people "in your party" to go with you for priority tendering so that means with all the platinum, Diamond and FTTF and "everyone in their party," it is the entire ship, so no perk there.

We are diamond and no priority tender for us, the last time we did it, platinum, Diamond and FTTF met in the big theater because there were over 1700 people for "priority tendering."

We got over the thrill of tendering a long time ago. ;)

Last month on the Conquest in Belize, we did the Carnival snorkel trip that picked us up and returned us directly to the ship. It was a fun excursion, a good value and very, very easy. No tendering at all. Those that wanted to go ashore afterward were free to grab a regular tender in. By that time (around noon) there were no lines

Don't waste your money on FTTF for priority tendering - it is no longer a perk at all for anyone.

Carnival allows up to 10 people "in your party" to go with you for priority tendering so that means with all the platinum, Diamond and FTTF and "everyone in their party," it is the entire ship, so no perk there.

We are diamond and no priority tender for us, the last time we did it, platinum, Diamond and FTTF met in the big theater because there were over 1700 people for "priority tendering."

That's new to me. We had FTTF and we were in the gathering area waiting to tender, and the Lady came around to check that everyone was allowed to be there. One lady wasn't and she she was sent on her way, even though she was with others who were.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If it is available it would be worth it to buy FTTF.

It would be worth it if you have private tours booked that require you to be off the ship quickly in the morning. To the OP FTTF only gets you priority tenders to the shore, you do have to wait in the lines to come back to the ship.

I love tendering, it is all part of the fun to me.

I did wonder though. What happens if it is nice and calm when you arrive in the morning, you tender in to the port. Then at some point the weather picks up and the seas get bad, too rough for the tenders to safely operate.

Are you stuck? Does the ship stay in port? Has this ever happened to anyone?