Transtlantic crossing from liverpool

Officeboy

Now that Liverpool has been granted turnaround status The Cunard Building in Liverpool is to be turned into a new cruise terminal that will process baggage handling and check-in.

The iconic grade-II listed building in the city's docklands, it has not welcomed passengers through its doors for over 50 years, In the intervening years, it has served as headquarters for Cunard then as additional office space. However, plans are now afoot for Liverpool City Council to take over the facility and use it to ease the burden currently being placed on temporary facilities on the waterfront, so I understand.

Plus if the hint from Peter Shanks during his departure address on the Cunard blog bears fruit.( Over recent years we held three very moving Cunard concerts in Liverpool Cathedral where the Cunard magic moved many present to tears. I am hopeful that Liverpool will play a special role in Cunard’s 175th anniversary in 2015.)sic.............perhaps a Transatlantic embarkation in 2015 to Celebrate Cunard's 175 years!

Southampton certainly has its advantages but it is becoming very congested. On a QV cruise earlier this year Captain Olsen implied that Cunard might well make greater use of Liverpool for that reason.

They might do one historic Liverpool to NYC run, but it's doubtful. Southampton is the most convenient port.

quote]

More convenient for whom? :confused:

Most Cmard passengers embarking and disembarking in Southampton travel to, or come from, Heathrow/Gatwick or London.

Southampton also saves the company fuel and time (compared to Liverpool) on almost every itinerary (which heads south, east or west).

Most Cmard passengers embarking and disembarking in Southampton travel to, or come from, Heathrow/Gatwick or London.

Southampton also saves the company fuel and time (compared to Liverpool) on almost every itinerary (which heads south, east or west).

The population of UK is circa 64m, with 26m living in Southern England including London and East Anglia, meaning the area of the UK from Birmingham northwards, including Scotland and Wales has a population of 38m. Therefore Liverpool is actually more convenient for the majority of the British people. Also, most regional airports throughout the UK now have flights direct to the rest of the world, including USA, Middle and Far East and Australia, therefore arriving at an airport nearer to your destination embarkation port, in this case Liverpool, would be no more difficult than arriving into a London Airport.

As a destination Southampton can't offer what Liverpool can offer in terms of culture and heritage as well as the fact that cruise ships would be berthed next to one of the most famous waterfronts in the world. However,realistically Liverpool suffers from being on the wrong side of the country for most Med cruises, but it is only a few hours more sailing time from Portugal and the Canaries than Southampton, and I believe (somewhere from memory but correct me if I am wrong) that Liverpool actually 6 hours less sailing time to New York than Southampton. To the North Liverpool could serve Iceland, Ireland and Greenland, as well as the historic link with Canada. Liverpool does not have the huge capacity for cruise ships as does Southampton, but for the odd transatlantic jaunt and a few other cruise trips a few times a month Liverpool would be an excellent alternative to Southampton!

The population of UK is circa 64m, with 26m living in Southern England including London and East Anglia, meaning the area of the UK from Birmingham northwards, including Scotland and Wales has a population of 38m. Therefore Liverpool is actually more convenient for the majority of the British people. Also, most regional airports throughout the UK now have flights direct to the rest of the world, including USA, Middle and Far East and Australia, therefore arriving at an airport nearer to your destination embarkation port, in this case Liverpool, would be no more difficult than arriving into a London Airport.

As a destination Southampton can't offer what Liverpool can offer in terms of culture and heritage as well as the fact that cruise ships would be berthed next to one of the most famous waterfronts in the world. However,realistically Liverpool suffers from being on the wrong side of the country for most Med cruises, but it is only a few hours more sailing time from Portugal and the Canaries than Southampton, and I believe (somewhere from memory but correct me if I am wrong) that Liverpool actually 6 hours less sailing time to New York than Southampton. To the North Liverpool could serve Iceland, Ireland and Greenland, as well as the historic link with Canada. Liverpool does not have the huge capacity for cruise ships as does Southampton, but for the odd transatlantic jaunt and a few other cruise trips a few times a month Liverpool would be an excellent alternative to Southampton!

Liverpool is not convenient for most travellers. You'll find that Southampton is more convenient for the international cruisers as well as for the English who do travel Cunard. Just because northern England has more people, that doesn't mean they do more travelling. In fact, they don't.

On average, Southern Englishmen and women earn more than their midlands and northern counterparts. I think you'll also find that more people from the Southern half of the country travel Cunard than from the North.

Yes, UK airports outside London are offering international flights. However, you don't always get the connections you want with regional airports.

I know this is a passionate issue for those English men and women who live closer to Liverpool, but the reality is that Southampton is more convenient for most travellers and is an easier port of embarkation for the kinds of voyages Cunard (and many other lines) do.

Here is an extract of an article that explains why Cunard initially changed from Liverpool to Southampton for its large express liners. This change occurred after WW1.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9905E5DC133AE633A25756C2A9649C946396D6CF

The reasons were two fold:

1. Problems with manoeuvring large ships on the Mersey.

2. Competition from White Star, which was attracting the 1st and 2nd class passenger traffic.

It is this second reason that holds most true today. London is closer to Southampton than it is to Liverpool. Transport links are better equipped for the cruise industry. Passengers are far more likely to venture to London than to Liverpool.

It's economic sense to keep Southampton for a host of reasons.

To put rumours of Liverpool to rest for 175th celebrations...

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/10577964.Southampton_to_be_focus_of_Cunard_s_175th_anniversary/

'Southampton to be focus of Cunard's 175th anniversay'

It makes sense as it is a huge commercial port and has been the base for the express liner service since the end of WW1 for Cunard.

Things must have changed since the below 2011 articles then. What a pity.

It is hoped that all three of Cunard’s world famous Queen liners will be present in the Mersey on July 4, 2015.

This will be 175 years to the day that Samuel Cunard sailed on his inaugural voyage from Liverpool, on July 4, 1840, aboard RMS Britannia – 1,154 gross tons – to Boston.

Quote Peter Shanks:

“Liverpool is Cunard's spiritual home and bringing a ship here is always very special for us as we hope it also is for the city. And two in two weeks is extra special.

“I hope we can top that on July 4, 2015, which is the 175th anniversary of Cunard's first ship setting out from here for the first time.

“My ambition for that day is to have our entire fleet in the Mersey at once.”

http://www.liverpoolvision.co.uk/news/cunard_line_fleet_queen_mary_2_queen_elizabeth_and_queen_victoria_to_return_to_liverpool_for_175th_anniversary.aspx

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/three-cunard-queens-liverpool-175th-3364519

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-14804688

I can get to Liverpool in 30 minutes on the train, about the same by car so I'd vote for it.

Plus, just look at the front when the ship docks. It makes Southampton look like what it is - nothing at all.

Yes , it's about the infrastructure . Southampton has been built up and restored for the Cruise ship industry.Of course , WestQuay,the Apple Store.etc.

And Southampton had the Orient Express(Boat Train)from the dock to Waterloo

London. It serviced all the great liners.I don't think Liverpool will replace Southampton

Now that Liverpool has been granted turnaround status The Cunard Building in Liverpool is to be turned into a new cruise terminal that will process baggage handling and check-in.

The iconic grade-II listed building in the city's docklands, it has not welcomed passengers through its doors for over 50 years, In the intervening years, it has served as headquarters for Cunard then as additional office space. However, plans are now afoot for Liverpool City Council to take over the facility and use it to ease the burden currently being placed on temporary facilities on the waterfront, so I understand.

Plus if the hint from Peter Shanks during his departure address on the Cunard blog bears fruit.( Over recent years we held three very moving Cunard concerts in Liverpool Cathedral where the Cunard magic moved many present to tears. I am hopeful that Liverpool will play a special role in Cunard’s 175th anniversary in 2015.)sic.............perhaps a Transatlantic embarkation in 2015 to Celebrate Cunard's 175 years!

Officeboy, is this confirmed that the building will become a pasenger terminal again?

I saw a piece about it on North West tonight a couple of evenings ago and it sounded very interesting and good news for the NW, not just Liverpool itself. However I got the impression that nothing was definite about the plan.

I'd be very pleased if there was a possibility of taking a TA out of Liverpool.

Officeboy, is this confirmed that the building will become a pasenger terminal again?

I saw a piece about it on North West tonight a couple of evenings ago and it sounded very interesting and good news for the NW, not just Liverpool itself. However I got the impression that nothing was definite about the plan.

Liverpool will mostly serve as a port of call rather than as a turn-around port. If Cunard tried to run a Liverpool-New York service they'd lose too much business.

Liverpool is 2.5 hours by train and 5 hours by coach (as it stops at airports like Manchester on the way). It's not convenient for the South/London centric tourist/traveller.

A handful of CC members keen on the idea of Liverpool aren't enough to fill the 2,700 berths on QM2.

I wouldn't mind doing a British Isles voyage with Cunard sometime though.

Liverpool will mostly serve as a port of call rather than as a turn-around port. If Cunard tried to run a Liverpool-New York service they'd lose too much business.

I fully understand that there isn't the capacity to operate a regular TA from Liverpool. I don't believe I've suggested that there is.

When I mentioned my interest in taking a TA from Liverpool, perhaps I should have clarified that I did mean just the once, if Cunard offers a one off TA from Liverpool at some point.

I'm more interested though in the answer to my question, which was whether the plans for the building, as discussed on local tv here in north west England recently, are confirmed or not.

Edited by Ravenscroft

Yes, the OP also only stated just the one TA from Liverpool to celebrate 175 years.

...perhaps a Transatlantic embarkation in 2015 to Celebrate Cunard's 175 years!

The newest article on the Cunard Building is the following published two days ago

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/cunard-welcomes-former-world-headquarters-6113748

It is too bad that there is maybe not enough passenger demand for a second Transatlantic Liner doing the UK-USA crossing. According to maritime historian Bill Miller, he has said that there are only enough passengers to fill up only one ship doing the crossings in any one year. If it is ever proven that the Transatlantic Liner market can support two ships, I am thinking that one ship can do the Liverpool to New York run and the other ship can do the Southampton to New York run. But I guess we will never see again something like the original Queen Mary meeting the original Queen Elizabeth midpoint on the North Atlantic with one Cunard Queen sailing on to New York and the other Cunard Queen sailing on to Southampton. Regards,Jerry

Liverpool is 2.5 hours by train and 5 hours by coach (as it stops at airports like Manchester on the way). It's not convenient for the South/London centric tourist/traveller.

If we are going to be SO pedantic, London to Liverpool is 2hrs 8 minutes.

Most coaches do not go from London to Liverpool via Manchester.

Also, the coach companies are not daft - if the business is there they will add additional services to meet demand. They already react in such a way now - they will put multiple coaches on a single scheduled slot if demand is there. If they have 2 coach loads, they will arrange passengers to match their end destination.

A handful of CC members keen on the idea of Liverpool aren't enough to fill the 2,700 berths on QM2.

The OP didn't mention QM2... so maybe the handful of cc members here and a vast number of cruisers who have better things to do with their spare time than hang around on the interweb to voice their opinion, just might fill a smaller ship for the suggested historic voyage.

Also, the coach companies are not daft - if the business is there they will add additional services to meet demand. They already react in such a way now - they will put multiple coaches on a single scheduled slot if demand is there. If they have 2 coach loads, they will arrange passengers to match their end destination.

The OP didn't mention QM2... so maybe the handful of cc members here and a vast number of cruisers who have better things to do with their spare time than hang around on the interweb to voice their opinion, just might fill a smaller ship for the suggested historic voyage.

it's all about the infrastructure... I think the RMS Aquitania mad some sailings NEW YORK,FISHGUARD,LIVERPOOL

Return to Cunard Building brings Golden Age of cruising in Liverpool back to life

2768276-6101866.jpg The Cunard building at Pier Head in Liverpool

From the Liverpool Echo 27th Sept

Liverpool's famous Cunard Building will be the city’s new cruise terminal – creating one of the world’s most sensational departure points.

Liverpool City Council is buying the magnificent waterfront building – the central block of the Pier Head Three Graces – returning the property to its original use for the first time in nearly half a century.

Cruise passengers will check in at the spectacular sky-lit booking halls, which remain practically untouched since Cunard Line moved to Southampton in 1967 and the property was given over to general office use. sic

We would love to sail from Liverpool - it might be more damaging to the bank balance as it might mean we would cruise more often!

Interestingly, on our latest cruise 3 out of the 4 couples on our table (including ourselves) were from "up north" and the majority of people we spoke to from the UK (albeit there we only 280 Brits on board) were also from the north.

A quick dummy booking on National Express shows Liverpool to London coach times between 4 hr 50 min and 8 hr 20 min.

Liverpool to London rail is showing as a minimum journey of 2 hr 54 min.

Both bookings are from Liverpool central to London Victoria.

I never posted with malice, Toffee. I really don't understand why you felt the need to come in guns blazing. It was totally unnecessary.

The facts speak for themselves. I'm merely pointing out that Liverpool is not a suitable port for anything more than infrequent visited by Cunard ships.

Feel free to disagree, but please leave the sarcasm at home and the attack dogs leashed.

:)