Carnival Glory 9/21/13 Review

DaisyL

Just returned from a 7 day Canada/New England cruise on CCL and had a great time! We had last minute vacation time and booked the cheapest cruise we could find out of NYC (our Homeport).

Well, it was surprisingly fantastic! The meal quality and service were on par with RCI, I dare say. I know most here have their favorite cruise lines but we're 'equal opportunity' cruisers. We haven't been on a cruise we didn't love, yet!

CCL was lacking to RCI in their service at the Lido. The lack of crew to clear tables and serve drinks was much less but I can attribute that to their cost cutting practices right now. But the food was fresh, good and plentiful so no lacking there. Their Guy Fieri burgers & Fries (no extra fee), new Fresh Burrito station, Fish and Chips (hidden seafood gem, and not just fish n chips) and 24 hour pizza and ice cream were fantastic. Much better than anything served in the Lido on RCI, NCL and HAL.

The production shows were very good and also they had much more entertainment at the bars and lounges than what we had on the Explorer of the Seas earlier this year. Anytime dining worked well for our group of 4 every night and only had to wait once, using a beeper, for 15 min.

We dined at the specialty Steak house and it was the best we have had. Much better than NCL's (didn't try it on RCI) and even BETTER than Ruth's Chris in NYC. Definitely worth the $35 p/p surcharge!

Embarkation was organized but much less opportunity to sit; we were shifted from one line to another, several times. For NCL and RCI we were given group numbers after initial check in and could sit until our number was called. This wasn't a problem for us, but for the elderly (which were many) I felt bad.

Since we booked last minute and got a really reduced rate (so low; almost free) we booked an inside and got upgraded to deck 8, just below the Lido and adult pool area. The cabin was better than expected; lots of room for the 2 of us with a lot of storage. And the shower was a little larger than RCI’s ... all was good. We overslept most mornings even with the nightlight we brought so we could see during our bathroom breaks. DH used the supplied shampoo and said it was really drying but I always bring my own anyway. The supplied shower gel was fine.

If you have any questions about the ports, just ask. We have been to Boston several times before so we stayed on the ship this time and enjoyed Serenity for the only sunny and warm day of the cruise. We walked around Portland Maine in the morning and then took a duck bus/boat tour (very good) and then had lobster rolls at Boone’s afterwards (few blocks from the ship). It was cool outside but they had the sliders open and the fireplace going... Fantastic! Also been to Halifax several times before so we just shopped at the warehouse shops for local items and then walked the boardwalk. In Saint John, NB, we took the 1&1/4 hr. trolly tour and walked around the town afterwards with an easy walk back to the ship. Very cute village with lots of shopping and restaurants. Really loved all the ports although it was cloudy, rainy and cool all week.

All in all a good trip but now we're looking forward to our RCI cruise out of Miami next year and then Quantum in 2015. And who knows what other last minute deal we may find!

Great review!

We were on Glory in August. I have to say we were also surprised in a good way how we enjoyed this cruise. Good food and all that:D

The only thing I disagree with you (obviously only my subjective opinion) the level of entertainment.

The production shows were the worst we ever experienced on any cruise.

No live orchestra. The computerised background with 4 singers which were dancers which were jogglers which were.. You got the idea. It was horrible. If I want to see a computerized splash screen I'll turn on my computer at home.

If this is the direction Carnival is going with entertainment they will loose a lot to other cruiselines.

A month after that cruise we went on Splendor and they did the shows the old way with a dancing team, singers, stage decorations, live orchestra, etc. It was fabulous.

Edited by Aldeya

We were also on this cruise. The ship seemed less crowded than the other ships we've been on. We had a suite on deck 7 mid-ship which was very convenient to just about everything on-board. There were 12 of us sailing, so we had 2 tables at the 6pm seating for dinner in the Golden restaurant, our wait staff were great, and the food choices were good. Thoroughly enjoyed all the ports we visited, and had some really great tour guides in Portland and St. Johns. Embarkation and debarkation were very easy. Loved the fish and chips, didn't try the burritos or burgers. Would do this one again if we lived closer.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...