Costa Med "upeer beds"

Mjasp

We will be sailing on the Med in Feb. We are a family of 4. Our cabin cat 7 verandah on the Costa website states it has 2 upper beds. Does anyone know what that means?

Thanks

The 'Upper Beds' in our Cat 7 Balcony cabin on the Atlantica was in fact a sofa bed. You may find though that they are bunks which pull down from the wall, but I never saw this on any of the balcony cabins before.

On most ships this would be hanging over the two lower beds but unless the cabin layout is extremely different from that shown for grade 7 balcony I can't see it.

Perhaps 'upper' is cruise jargon for extra beds and maybe it will simply be the sofa bed with one upper above it.

I do hope someone can be more help, alternatively give costa a ring and get someone to describe to you the cabin layout. I have found their customer service reps to be very helpful - good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I looked at the Magica deck plans for cat 7, and all I could find is 1 upper (over the lower), the lower (in place of the sofa) and the double, the dot and square.

Keep in mind, the Costa website is not the most accurate/reliable, nor user friendly. Google "Costa Magiaca deck plans" provides a link below for reference:

http://vacations.lycos.com/c/deckplan.asp?vessel=437&lineid=14&itineraryid=&startdate=&enddate=&deckcode=CAR

Hi Ken...Thanks for the info but we are on the Mediterranea. It's funny, I received the Caribbean brochure from Costa and our room had the "2 dots" in the legend and it meant 2 upper beds, I then called Costa and asked the layout of the beds and they said the sofa opens to a bed with 1 upper bed, I guess I'll have to wait and see, she also said 2 upper beds are usually only inside cabins. I am thinking like a previous poster stated that it is "cruise lingo" and I think it means the cabin sleeps 4 persons.

No difference between the Atlantica and the Mediterranea.

Cabins with "two dots" have in deed two "upper" beds. When not in use, the beds will be folded up in the ceiling, and will be invisible during the day. When you fold them down, they will be hanging over the lower beds (WATCH YOUR HEAD!) ;-)

You also get a little ladder, so that you can climb up easier.

That's what the upper beds are... had those during our first cruise on an inside cabin.

Hope that helped...

Andy

Andy...Thanks, but isn't it unbelievable that I called on 2 separate occasions and they said our cabin had 1 upper with the lower sofa bed.

Also, in Jamaica where Costa docks, is there a beach within walking distance?

TIA

Mjasp:

Where is your cabin located?

There may be some cabins, where you actually have a sofa bed and one upper bed (which comes out of the ceiling), similar to the suites. Depending on the layout, as some cabins are not the "regular" shape (close to the elevators, handicapped cabins, corner cabins or aft cabins).

The cabins I inquired about are 5198, 5214,5216 ,5217 All these cabins have 2 dots which indicate 2 upper beds BUT when I called, they checked and said only 1 upper bed, with a sleeper sofa. They also said 2 upper beds are only in the inside cabins, not verandah cabins. Go Figure.

Was trying to edit the previous post. After I posted the above, I showed the Costa brochure to my daughter who stated "MOM...That isn't 2 dots! It is a dot and a square which means...One upper bed and a sleeper sofa. LOL

Sorry for this whole thread, it is time to wear my glasses for the small print LOL

Archived