On QE right now...corker??

SALAD MUNCHER

This is a cruise taken to celebrtate my 'big' birthday..brought on a couple of bottles of wine to celebrate...hey looked everywhere NO corkscrew in the cabin!! Asked the steward, he says ask Roomservice...they say (wait for it) we only have 2 spare corkscrews on the ship??? but we will come and open you bottle when you want to drink it!! This is my 10th trip on Cunard and the very first time I have come across this situation....is this more 'cost cutting' or are they "havin a larf"? Comments please ;)

This is a cruise taken to celebrtate my 'big' birthday..brought on a couple of bottles of wine to celebrate...hey looked everywhere NO corkscrew in the cabin!! Asked the steward, he says ask Roomservice...they say (wait for it) we only have 2 spare corkscrews on the ship??? but we will come and open you bottle when you want to drink it!! This is my 10th trip on Cunard and the very first time I have come across this situation....is this more 'cost cutting' or are they "havin a larf"? Comments please ;)

Happy Birthday Salad Muncher!

If room service opens your wine, will you be charged the corkage fee? If so, you might want to see if one of the shops on board sells corkscrews :) (BTW, we never encountered a corkscrew in the any cabins we had on QM2.) Enjoy your voyage & your b-day celebrations! Cheers, -S.

All that is required is to take the bottle to one of the bars, explain the situation to a bartender and have them partially remove the cork. There will be no charge for this service. Strange really that you expect the room steward to have a corkscrew, I've never seen a bartender with a vacuum cleaner. :)

All that is required is to take the bottle to one of the bars, explain the situation to a bartender and have them partially remove the cork.

I was about to suggest doing just that.

Another answer would have been to take a couple of bottles of Blue Nun instead ;screw top - problem solved !

I can't imagine traveling anywhere without the following (minor) emergency items: small multi-tool (mostly for the pliers), cork screw (my multi-tool isn't that sophisticated), fruit knife, duct tape, flashlight, sewing kit, and Krazy glue.

I can't imagine traveling anywhere without the following (minor) emergency items: cork screw, fruit knife

I don't if I'd class an cork screw and a fruit knife as "emergency items" :D

But then I suppose if you wanted to cut your strawberries before drinking your champagne and found yourself with neither items it could well be considered an emergency !!!!

I don't if I'd class an cork screw and a fruit knife as "emergency items" :D

But then I suppose if you wanted to cut your strawberries before drinking your champagne and found yourself with neither items it could well be considered an emergency !!!!

Well, this depends very much on the type of occasion. I still don't play golf:p

Hi First of all Happy Birthday to You !!!

To the corkscrew issue, you will not find one in the cabin. I was told to go to the bar or gift shop to purchase one.

The next time I brought my own.. hehehe

Thanks everyone, crisis now averted, bought one from the first port of call! I do have champers and of course need no crokscrew for that but I do like the odd bottle of Sauvignon Blanc so a corkscrew was a must. Lesson learnt, go for screwtops in future!:)

Thanks everyone, crisis now averted, bought one from the first port of call! I do have champers and of course need no crokscrew for that but I do like the odd bottle of Sauvignon Blanc so a corkscrew was a must. Lesson learnt, go for screwtops in future!:)
Hi SALAD MUNCHER,

Pleased to hear it's all sorted, Sauvignon Blank is one of favourites as well :) .

Please excuse my "champers" note above, said in jest I assure you :) .

(last crossing, as a "prize" from the pub trivia quizzes, I selected a Cunard logo'd picnic wine carrier; space for a bottle, glasses, napkins, ornamental replacement cork and... a corkscrew! :) )

Hope you have a great time, happy birthday, best wishes,

Geeze Pepper, You must be really good at trivia. I think that set went for 21 points. Well done.
:o Thank you brigittetom :o , not sure about "good", more of a nerd :o , I don't remember the number of points, thought it was less than that (didn't pay attention!), I did attend a lot of trivia quizzes... :) .

Thank you and all best wishes.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived