First Timer Questions...Rhapsody

Hi Everyone, we're new to this board, and are thinking about taking our first cruise. As usual, we have some questions...

We're planning on cruising on the Rhapsody of the Seas, and have "planned" on an outside cabin. Should we consider upgrading to a Balcony? The extra cost seems pretty steep, about 300+ per person. In your opinions, is it worth it?

I'm sure we'll have many more questions down the road...thanks for the help!

TandT

I'm sure you'll get mixed thoughts on this subject, but in my opinion no, a balcony is not worth that much extra money. We had a balcony on our first cruise and have never had one since. The balcony was nice, but we did not use it nearly as much as we thought we would. It was very windy when the ship was moving, very dark at night, and we found there was so much going on elsewhere on the ship that we did not want to be in our cabin much. I have since booked inside cabins on the upper decks. We booked deck 8 on the Rhapsody and it's just one flight up to the huge pool deck and I had all the views I could want! We also found we liked the quiet and dark that an inside cabin provides. If there was only a slight difference in price I guess I might get a balcony again but if it's a big difference then I'd much rather put my money towards the next cruise!

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful first cruise!:)

We had an oceanview cabin on deck 3 on our first Rhapsody cruise and loved it. We have opted for our first balcony cabin on our upcoming October Rhapsody cruise in spite of the considerable extra cost. We expect the balcony to provide us with a little extra fresh air and a nice place to enjoy the early morning and late evening hours. If it doesn't work out to our expectations, we will be happy to return the oceanview and save the extra money.

Hi TandT:

If you can afford it, go for the balcony, you won't regret it. I know some people who always booked inside and/or oceanview and when they tried out their first balcony, they were hooked.

If you like quiet places to read a book, the balcony is the perfect place. The balcony is another perfect place for that romantic dinner for you and your other half. The best part of having a balcony? You don't have to leave your cabin and climb stairs or use elevators to sit outside and enjoy the breeze.

Hope I was able to help you with your decision. If you have any more questions about this ship and her itineraries, don't hesitate to ask. We love this ship!!! What date are you looking to book on the Rhapsody? We will be on the ship on Sept 4th, Oct.9th and Dec.4th 2005.

Fausto

Should we consider upgrading to a Balcony?[/b] The extra cost seems pretty steep, about 300+ per person. In your opinions, is it worth it?TandT

We've had both an outside w/window, and balcony cabins. If it's at all possible, we will ALWAYS have a balcony. For us, it was well worth the extra expense. There is nothing so relaxing as to sit out on the balcony & enjoy that beautiful water. DH & I have thoroughly enjoyed the balconies. But as mentioned before . . . everyone is different. You may find the balcony not worth the extra expense.

I am another one that votes for the balcony, but like everyone says, it really depends on your lifestyle and how you are planning to cruise. DH and I like a balance of quiet time (we live with two older children and four pets, so time to ourselves is greatly appreciated) and active time. We enjoy just chillin' in the cabin at times. We enjoy being on deck at times. One of the things we enjoyed the most on our first trip on the Rhapsody was just having the curtains open and having a wonderful view of nothing but ocean on our first sea morning. The view really expands the size of your cabin. I think it creates a feeling of peace as well.

Anyway, after going OV only on the Elation, we are back to having a balcony. I am so looking forward to it!

We have been on the Rhapsody twice and both time have had an oceanview cabin on deck 2. We have never had a balcony but for $600.00 , I would spend that $$ somewhere fun like shore excursions or better yet use the 600.00 as a down payment to book another cruise. I had rather cruise more in lower category cabin than cruise only once in a balcony. If I go for a balcony it will be for our 25th wedding anniversary!

If money is not a big consideration for you, go for the balconey. If it is, then I would personally go for the inside, or a window. We book inside, but we are fairly young, active, and barely in our cabin but to sleep, shower. We booked on 7 near the library, and in less than a minute, you can be up the stairs and onto a deck, so it really isn't worth the extra money for us. If you are older, more introverted, like to read, and like privacy, the balconey may be for you!

i agree w knothead, i'd rather spend that $600 elsewhere, whether it another cruise or an excursion. I'm booked in an inside cabin both of my previous cruises AND my upcoming (deck 2 upcoming so i can keep the wieght off). I found on my first cruise i didnt spend as much time in my cabin as i thought i would. The second time a little more time was spent in the cabin, and we'll have to see on this next one. but i would definitely rather cruise twice, low budget, than once high roller.

Ah...the age old question. Is a balcony better, most definately. Is it neccessary, not at all. Having a balcony will simply amplify your cruise experience. You'll be able to hear the ocean and smell the sea breeze without getting dressed. You'll have a great view when coming into the ports. You'll have a private place to sip champagne and just watch the stars. Those are some of the romantic reasons for a balcony. Now, for the realist......if your spouse snores, you've got somewhere to go and if they pass gas, you can open the sliding door:D It will also give you someplace to air out scuba gear if you dive or snorkle. It can get pretty stinky in short time.

Bottom line.....if you can swing it without putting a crimp in your budget, go for it. If you can't, you'll still have the time of your life!

www.homepage.mac.com/csealove/

We like the balcony because it is quieter than being on deck all the time. You have a better view when leaving or coming into port. You don't have to worry about other pushing to get to the rails. You don't have to worry about chair hogs. I don't do well in heat, so I can go back to the room open the balcony door and still get the fresh air, the view, and the sounds. It is a good place to lay out clothes to dry faster. It is wonderful to go out in the middle of the night and look at the stars without having to get dressing and make the trip up top. We like being alone at times and the balcony is a nice get away from all the people. We have friends that never get a balcony so they can cruise more. It is harder for us to be able to get away for more than 7 days, so the balcony, to us, is well worth the extra money. Since we don't drink much, the balcony almost equals out what some pay for an inside room and drinks.

Here's the perfect reason why we will always have a balcony - as long as the money holds out that is!!

Reason 1 - A nice quiet breakfast on the balcony from room service at least once. It can be challenging to find a table in Windjammer and with room service, you are guaranteed a table, a table with a view and usually hot fresh food.

Reason 2 - On our first cruise, we awoke right before dawn as the ship was pulling into San Juan. I will never forget the sight of the Fort as we rounded into the harbor and as dawn was breaking, the lights of the city slowly twinkled on as the sky went from black to purple to pink. We sat on our balcony in our bathrobes - it felt as if we were spirited back to a simpler time. that is a feeling I will never forget.

I am taking my second cruise on the Rhapsody. The first time I had a balcony and absolutely loved it! I would do it again IF the price was right, but here are a few things... We spent way too much time on the balcony and didn't do as much on the ship as we could have. We missed several shows because we were busy chatting on the balcony and lost track of time. This time we are getting an inside cabin...it will get us out of the cabin, meeting people, and doing more. My Mediterranean was awesome and we got an inside cabin. I'd only do a balcony again if it was a super deal!

Archived