Bringing beverages on board

TravelTrotter

Is it true that I can't bring water or soda on board? Are they really strict in checking for beverages when you board? This is my first Costa experience and have never been on a cruise line that would not allow you to bring water and soda. Comments, suggestions, expereinces?

Is it true that I can't bring water or soda on board? Are they really strict in checking for beverages when you board? This is my first Costa experience and have never been on a cruise line that would not allow you to bring water and soda. Comments, suggestions, expereinces?

See below as per Costa's website (you may not however have been on a cruiseline who offers an all inclusive drinks package including waters, sodas, beers, wines, martinis and cocktails for 19.5 euro per day!)

Can I bring food or drink on board?

No food or drink purchased on land may be brought aboard when boarding the ship. Any local products purchased during excursions may be handed to Costa staff for safekeeping and collected before disembarking at the end of the cruise.

All ships in any case provide generous buffets and drinking water dispensers, with both cold and hot water to prepare teas and infusions at any time of the day. Cocktails, coffees and a wide range of drinks can be purchased on every deck and in all the bars.

Edited by Blondie008

Thanks for your comments. The unlimited drink package of 19.50 E translates to $831.68 US (for the two of us) for my upcoming cruise. I can't imagine consuming that many beverages and even if I/we could, the package does not include Diet Coke.

We didn't have any problems bringing water back with us from days ashore in ports (partly used bottles).

We're not heavy drinkers but 2 or 3 cocktails, bottle of wine at dinner and cappuccinos easily cost more than the all inclusive price.

We also had diet coke, sorry can't remember if it was Pepsi or Coca Cola.

Thanks for your comments. The unlimited drink package of 19.50 E translates to $831.68 US (for the two of us) for my upcoming cruise. I can't imagine consuming that many beverages and even if I/we could, the package does not include Diet Coke.

i had many diet cokes. all soft drinks/soda would be included. water is always available in the buffet - just bring a bottle with you.

most cruiselines are beginning to restrict what can be brought onboard. holland america is now restricting how much wine can be brought on (you should here the complaints over there!).

Edited by AnonymousCruiser69

I just dont get the concept of "bring your own drinks" on board. I own a restaurant - I would freak if people came in with their own drinks. A cruiseline - is a business - like any other. Costa offer THE most affordable cruising out there.. WHY on earth would anyone expect to add to that equation "think I will bring my own sodas" - :confused:

19.5 euro per day - whats that - fifteen quid = 20 US$ per day - having travelled the US - cant imagine how few sodas I could buy for 20$???

Nah - think the OP is taking the proverbial here - :rolleyes:

What are you going to do - carry up your Diet Coke to the bar and ask for a glass???

19.5 euro per day???? For ALL the sodas waters, cocktails, mocktails, wines, etc etc etc etc - and you think thats overboard...

Only one thing that should be overboard and it aint the price of soda!

I just dont get the concept of "bring your own drinks" on board. I own a restaurant - I would freak if people came in with their own drinks. A cruiseline - is a business - like any other. Costa offer THE most affordable cruising out there.. WHY on earth would anyone expect to add to that equation "think I will bring my own sodas" - :confused:

19.5 euro per day - whats that - fifteen quid = 20 US$ per day - having travelled the US - cant imagine how few sodas I could buy for 20$???

Nah - think the OP is taking the proverbial here - :rolleyes:

What are you going to do - carry up your Diet Coke to the bar and ask for a glass???

19.5 euro per day???? For ALL the sodas waters, cocktails, mocktails, wines, etc etc etc etc - and you think thats overboard...

Only one thing that should be overboard and it aint the price of soda!

you forgot their delicious esspressos :D i easily drank my 20 bucks a day in just esspressos.

Likewise Traveltrotter, my first Costa - indeed first cruise - about to begin. Have booked all inclusive and cannot believe that a bottle of wine per suitcase on embarkation of special wine for a special occasion would be confiscated. We shall see I suppose but I had never really considered it an issue until I read these posts. You must be able to bring a bottle of water on board surely! I wonder what I have let myself in for.

Likewise Traveltrotter, my first Costa - indeed first cruise - about to begin. Have booked all inclusive and cannot believe that a bottle of wine per suitcase on embarkation of special wine for a special occasion would be confiscated. We shall see I suppose but I had never really considered it an issue until I read these posts. You must be able to bring a bottle of water on board surely! I wonder what I have let myself in for.

Your all inclusive kicks in before you even reach your cabin - no need to worry - for less than £15 per day, believe me - you will be pleasantly surprised. Forget the water - you can have as many bottles as you wish once as soon as you board. Do you get as wound up when you go through airport security and have to leave your water behind??? No big deal - all inclusive from Costa is fab!!

Hope you enjoy your cruise!

We had a gift on board of vintage DP, not sure how our daughter got it on board, but we had it served to us in the Club restaurant - no corkage charge was imposed.

Cool daughter! Don't think our sons show quite the same finesse, but we live in hope. At least I don't buy the Mother's Day flowers any more after years of prompting. I take your point about all inclusive - they couldn't let people bring stuff on board for those who were not part of the deal and make any sort of profit at all. We couldn't satisfy the people we know on £15 per day for drinks. We shall have a ball I assure you.

• 2 weeks later...

I looked at the Costa website, but could not find any specific info on the various beverage packages. Is it there ? Where?

Will they really confiscate an unopened bottle of single malt scotch (one not available on board) that I put in my checked luggage?

I looked at the Costa website, but could not find any specific info on the various beverage packages. Is it there ? Where?

Will they really confiscate an unopened bottle of single malt scotch (one not available on board) that I put in my checked luggage?

Here you go:

http://www.costacruise.com/usa/all-inclusive-cruise.html

Why would they make exceptions for a "single malt"

Its a bottle of booze - period. Whether its a bottle of Grouse, or a Laphroig - its still a bottle of booze -

"

Please note that in line with Company Health and Safety standards for Guests and Crew Members, it is strictly forbidden to bring any kind of drink or food on board in hand or cabin luggage. Personal care products (such as shampoo, suntan lotion, etc.) baby care products, products certified by a doctor and liquid medicines are not subject to this rule. Any food or drink, including items purchased during excursions and visits during the call, will not be admitted on board. Local regional products eventually purchased will be kept in custody by ship officers upon arrival and released at disembarkation

• 1 month later...

I have done two Costa cruises both out of Miami. On both the Fortuna and the Atlantica I have bought a twelve pack of bottled water as well as a few two liters of Pepsi onboard in my checked luggage. I have never had it taken away or even questioned. Since I cannot drink alcohol (medical Reasons) is is a waste of $250 for me to have the drinks package. Even if my hubby wanted it, we would have to pay $500 because they make both parties on the reservation purchase it. How many others have brought soda and water on board and not gotten it taken away ?

• 3 weeks later...

I can only comment on the Costa Victoria but I did have alcohol and soda confiscated from my luggage.

In the US I put it in rum runners and have no problems. I didn't bother on this cruise and it was picked up.

I did have the all inclusive booked but like to have something in my cabin.

It's a risk you take..I got it back last night.

My suggestion if you want it to make it to your cabin, put it in rum runners.

I can only comment on the Costa Victoria but I did have alcohol and soda confiscated from my luggage.

In the US I put it in rum runners and have no problems. I didn't bother on this cruise and it was picked up.

I did have the all inclusive booked but like to have something in my cabin.

It's a risk you take..I got it back last night.

My suggestion if you want it to make it to your cabin, put it in rum runners.

Question re rum runners: as per search on Amazon, are those the collapsible, plastic drink bottles? If so, do they have to be clear? I have them, but in a royal blue. Will that work? Also, don't they leak, especially with the pressure of being packed in clothing? I have a big concern about that, which is why I am hesitant to use them.