Dec 2,2006

RMS Olympic

Hey Capt.!

I haven't "planned" a Dec. '06 trip yet, but since I sail on the Legend coming up in April, I have a feeling I'll want more of the same. Keep me posted if you book; I'm in the "doesn't take much encouragement" mode here.... :D

Paul

Considering a Caribbean Cruise out of Barbados...anyone on this sailing?

Also, is the attire on board a bit more casual on the Caribbean cruises?

On board ship it stays pretty much the same--you can go much more casual when you go ashore. You will need cooler clothes aboard ship, but its still two formal, two jacket, and three casual on board. You will be making some super stops, and the beach picnic in the Carib is sensational.

I am either going to do the seabourn or be adventurus and try a mass market ship in europe...MSC Opera. Basically each choice comes out to the same cost ....but the Seabourn cruise only = the Opera plus airfare.

Not sure what to do...Seabourn in Dec or the Opera in August.....

Oh to be rich and say...what the hell...do both. :^)

I ordered the Saebourn brochure and will look it over....

808...leaning towards the Seabourn experience.....even though I will be on the RSVP cruise to Mexico in late October 2006.......so much for my retirment savings... LOL

808...it will be a 7 day cruise. A 14 would have to be the next year considering the cost. For 14 day.....it would have to be the Panama canal from Caldera to Ft Lauderdale. If I do not do the Dec 7 day trip, then I would shoot for the Canal cruise in Feb of 2007.

Are you still working? Retired? A kept man? LOL

Paloma.....yes, Snyders is not far from my home...maybe 2 miles or so. I think Snyders is closing...a shame. But they cannot compete with Lowes and Home Depot in Montgomerville.

I think that Snyders is a member of my buying group based out of Wayne Pa. I have 3 locations here that sell building materials too and the chains run sales on roofing and other items that are less than my cost . We try to offer better service to the contractor. Most of us have been in business for 4 or 5 generations and it is a shame, but that is what is happening to all smaller businesses. We are going the way of the horse and buggy !!

Capt.:

A 7-day fits my schedule better...I'm self-employed (and not kept! <eg>) and am not in the position to close my office for 2 weeks (yet). I did just agree to a 10-day in the Med. for another Geek cruise in July '06. That's pushing my envelope, but decided to try it....

If you want to talk about the 7-day Seabourn trip (12/06), you can contact me at pwatson808 at mac.com. I'm seriously considering it! (This "cruising" stuff is, indeed, an ILLNESS) :D

Paul

It is an addiction, not an illness. For me it is always the next cruise to plan and book.....not the ones booked and depositied. I would have a much more social life if it wasn't for the constant prioritizing money for cruises....and damn the singles surcharge.

My TA is sending me the Seabourn 2006 brochure......unless RSVP or Atlantis schedule something fabulous for the summer 2006 season, I will book the Dec 2nd Pride sailing.The itinerary is nothing great...but I would be going for the ship and Seabourn experience anyway.

In the mean time its getting ready for the Atlantis Mexico trip.....

I understand about the planning portion; I leave Sat. AM for a week in a beach house on the Gulf (assuming there's no more hurricanes), and will have, I'm afraid, too much planning time on my hands!

I just okayed the deposit for my Geek cruise in July '06/Noordam/West. Med. trip, and I'll be sharing a room (aft mini-suite) for the first time. [Wish I had a travel companion I could count on....;-) ] I fear for my credit card next week as I consider the Seabourn...I have a feeling my weakness will cause me to do silly things.... :eek: But, I agree with you...the Seabourn trip would be more for the ship and less for the ports at this point. That's basically why I booked the April '06 trip.

Drop me a line if you wish.

Paul

I understand about the planning portion; I leave Sat. AM for a week in a beach house on the Gulf (assuming there's no more hurricanes), and will have, I'm afraid, too much planning time on my hands!

I just okayed the deposit for my Geek cruise in July '06/Noordam/West. Med. trip, and I'll be sharing a room (aft mini-suite) for the first time. [Wish I had a travel companion I could count on....;-) ] I fear for my credit card next week as I consider the Seabourn...I have a feeling my weakness will cause me to do silly things.... :eek: But, I agree with you...the Seabourn trip would be more for the ship and less for the ports at this point. That's basically why I booked the April '06 trip.

Drop me a line if you wish.

Paul

Your going on a Geek cruise? Whats that like? ;)

Host Dan

Hi Dan:

My first cruise, last Nov., was a "geek" cruise, and was centered around Mac users and Photoshop users. You pay a fee to attend seminars during at-sea days and early evenings (all or none of which you "HAVE" to attend). Met a lot of Mac users, was traveling by myself, and never felt "alone". We all dined at the same time (late sitting to allow for the evening sessions), and overall there was a good deal of comraderie. The speakers were hand-picked by the tour host, "Capt. Neil Bauman", and were experts in the Mac world and in Photoshop.

I'm going in Feb. to the Mexican Riviera (HAL Ooosterdam), and have just signed up for July '06 trip in the Med. (HAL Noordam). Nice folks. And, although I'm not exactly a "geek" in the truest sense of the word, I enjoy my Macs, and wouldn't trade 'em for anything! It's the way Mac users are....

(P.S.: for those who may not know, "Mac" is short for MacIntosh/Apple OS and computers vs Windows PCs.)

I think that Snyders is a member of my buying group based out of Wayne Pa. I have 3 locations here that sell building materials too and the chains run sales on roofing and other items that are less than my cost . We try to offer better service to the contractor. Most of us have been in business for 4 or 5 generations and it is a shame, but that is what is happening to all smaller businesses. We are going the way of the horse and buggy !!

You are right about the buying group in Wayne, Penna--before I retired--many years ago-- my company was a major supplier to Snyders and many other independent home centers and lumber yards--they are all having a rough time against the "Big Boxes". I believe we are on a cruise together next April--I will be interested in hearing current news about the situation with independents! I know if Snyders is having trouble things are tough! Don

Archived