Children and balconies

sokrmom

We are cruising in September on the CB. We are traveling with a large family group with 8 children ranging in age from 18 months to 11. The bookings were made by another family member. They have booked everyone in balcony rooms on the Baja deck, mid-ship. I am concerned about having a balcony with an active 3 year-old. I have expressed my concern to her, but she said it is fine. I have to say that this family member does not have a good track record when it comes to good judgement. Are the Baja deck balconies directly over the water, or are there other decks/balconies below them? Obviously, my child will be well-supervised, but things can happen in an instant. Just wondering, is there a reason to be overly concerned?

Thanks!

I'm told that the balcony sliders have locks that are high mounted (too high for children), but I honestly don't recall where the locks are located.

I would share your concern about children out on the balcony - and were I still travelling with small children, would opt for an oceanview cabin, without balcony!

Our CB minisuite balcony had no special lock placed high on the door. It was a regular look, about waist high. Nothing complicated, and I too would be concerned with a child in this situation. I would go so far as to change my room if possible. I do believe though, you do have other balconies beneath you. I would still change my room.

People with small children cruise in balconies all the time. Cruiselines wouldn't balconies to families with small children if they felt that it would place them at risk. Have you ever heard of a child falling overboard? (No, only drunk/suicidal adults)

It would be difficult for a tyke to clamber up and over a balcony unless it was truly left unattended and was a seriously determined climber. Only you can tell if your child is likely to be like that. If you are with her, when will she be out on the balcony alone and unattended?

Also, I don't think that having another balcony below would mitigate your fears; your child would be just as harmed to fall on one several floors below as to fall on the ocean.

Many parents like a balcony when they have small kids, because they can go out there at night and enjoy the ocean while the tykes sleep (or during naptime in the day).

I would enjoy your cabin - while still watching your little one like a hawk.

There are just four things that I would tell you:

1. Be vigilant. I know someone who's child drowned when "everyone was minding the baby" because everybody thought somebody else was also "minding the baby." Make sure one person has the specific assignment of supervising him instead of the whole family saying "We'll all watch him!" You can tag-team, but make sure it's clear who the buck stops with at any given time.

2. The railing is large in diameter, so little fingers have a more difficult time gripping it. You've probably seen these kinds of railings on the upper levels of malls. Can he climb over those? Take him to the mall and see.

3. Remove the balcony furniture if he's a climber.

4. If all else fails, falling 8 feet down onto someone's patio table on Caribe deck is likely to be less serious than falling into Caribbean ocean. :)

Enjoy!

I'm told that the balcony sliders have locks that are high mounted (too high for children), but I honestly don't recall where the locks are located.

We stayed on the top floor of the Disneyland Hotel one year, and they had the locks placed at about the height of an adults head. It was such a relief, and I wish all hotels/ships would do this. It's a simple solution to a potential danger.

I am a grandmother and completely understand your fears. That being said, I want to assure you that Baja deck is directly above Carib deck, which juts out well beyond Baja. Also, the rails are quite high and solid to the top. Please don't let your fears get the best of you. Enjoy your cruise!

You child will be fine. First of all, there are balconies below you. But honestly, it's not really safer for a child if they fell from that distance anyway.

Now having said that, the only way your child could fall over the balcony railing would be if they climbed on to something high and then scaled over the railing. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but I've never heard of a child falling off a balcony on a cruise ship.

The reason I think you'll like the balcony is that with a child that young, when you put him to sleep at night, your husband and you can sit out on the balcony and enjoy the moonlight with a glass of wine and not feel closed in like you would in a cabin with no balcony.

One thing to be concerned about is whether or not the child can get from balcony to balcony on the SAME DECK. I was on Island Princess in April, reading on my balcony and all of a sudden there is a toddler on the balcony with me. I didn’t bring any kids in my luggage. Come to find out he belonged to a family that was three cabins aft. He had managed to get between the balcony railing and the partition that separates balconies. When his mother – who I must say was not being vigilant – realized what had happened and called him, he went right back the same way.

So, you may have child-proofed your balcony, but that doesn’t mean the people next door have. While I was on Caribe, and the extended Dolphin deck balconies were below, if a child had fallen off our deck, it was very conceivable they might have hit the partitions on Dolphin deck and bounced into the water.

If you remain with the balcony room I would be extremely careful. Grown men and women are falling off balconies of ships and disappearing at sea.

My concern would be if your child stood on a chair and then leaned on the balcony. Or perhaps, made his way to someone else's balcony. You want to have a relaxing time, so if it was me I would switch to an oceanview.

Thanks for all of your replies. I would like to switch, just for peace of mind, I think, but I'm not sure that's a possibility, given that my in-laws are paying for all 5 cabins, and we are all in a row. They already think I'm too cautious with my kids - (Horrors- I won't let them play unsupervised in their backyard with a pool!) It wouldn't be the first time we have tangled over safety issues, but that's another story:( My son would always be supervised, and he doesn't climb on things, but there's always a first for everything. I'll have to discuss it with my DH.

Assuming you are a watchful parent you will be fine. Like others have said, it will nice for you to sit on your balcony while your child sleeps. When in your room keep the balcony door closed and locked. I have a three year old grand daughter and know how much watching they take but I am sure you are used to doing this on a day to day basis and if you use the same caution while on your cruise, I do not think your child is at risk.

Carol

Try purchasing a removeable safety lock. I have one for my sliding back door and it keeps my 3 yr. old grandson (an escape artist!) away from the pool. It's just a wrap-around piece of metal with 2 screws that you can put up high. You can find one at any hardware store and it's well worth the price for peace of mind!:rolleyes: Happy cruising!

I share your fears. Last cruise my children were 9 & 5 and I posted a thread. I was literally having nightmares about booking Balcony. Well, I booked oceanview, just to be on the safe side. My fear was that they have chairs and tables, and curious children will climb if there is something to climb on. Not that my children would ever be left unsupervised, but I was just too worried and concerned. I was told the locks are high, and the doors are very heavy to open for a child. Still, I went with my gut and did oceanview. I just booked for next year, where they will be 11 & 7, I will still be nervous but from what everyone says, once you book a balcony, you will never go back. I will just be extremely careful and lay down the ground rules about never having them out without me. I will probably duct tape the door (high up).....One more reason for Duct Tape!!! That way they can not open it unless I go with them. Have a great cruise, and don't worry, just be as careful as you would anywhere else.

:)

See if there is a deluxe oceanview. There are a few of them and they actually have a little sitting area with a small couch and a picture window and another little table/desk(without drawers). Almost like a mini-suite without the nice bathroom and balcony. We had one and thought it was neat. The little tyke can then try to climb out the window all they want. I would say if you're going to be stressed out worrying, tell them you need to this for you own piece of mind.

One thing to be concerned about is whether or not the child can get from balcony to balcony on the SAME DECK. I was on Island Princess in April, reading on my balcony and all of a sudden there is a toddler on the balcony with me. I didn’t bring any kids in my luggage. Come to find out he belonged to a family that was three cabins aft. He had managed to get between the balcony railing and the partition that separates balconies. When his mother – who I must say was not being vigilant – realized what had happened and called him, he went right back the same way.

So, you may have child-proofed your balcony, but that doesn’t mean the people next door have. While I was on Caribe, and the extended Dolphin deck balconies were below, if a child had fallen off our deck, it was very conceivable they might have hit the partitions on Dolphin deck and bounced into the water.

If you remain with the balcony room I would be extremely careful. Grown men and women are falling off balconies of ships and disappearing at sea.

I would have loved to seen the look on your face!!

Scott

I share your fears. Last cruise my children were 9 & 5 and I posted a thread. I was literally having nightmares about booking Balcony. Well, I booked oceanview, just to be on the safe side. My fear was that they have chairs and tables, and curious children will climb if there is something to climb on. Not that my children would ever be left unsupervised, but I was just too worried and concerned. I was told the locks are high, and the doors are very heavy to open for a child. Still, I went with my gut and did oceanview. I just booked for next year, where they will be 11 & 7, I will still be nervous but from what everyone says, once you book a balcony, you will never go back. I will just be extremely careful and lay down the ground rules about never having them out without me. I will probably duct tape the door (high up).....One more reason for Duct Tape!!! That way they can not open it unless I go with them. Have a great cruise, and don't worry, just be as careful as you would anywhere else.

:)

What a great idea.

Carol

We started cruising when our youngest was 6 or 7 I think. With both boys, we laid down the law immediately: "Do NOT go out on the balcony unless you ask permission first." Believe me, like anything else, if you are firm and there are consequences for breaking that "law", then children won't disobey. You have to be vigilent and consistent the entire cruise, not just the first day or two.

This works - My youngest son was still asking permission to go out on the balcony when he was 11!!

Simply explain to your child that you ALL want to have a good time and in order to do that, she has to follow some very basic rules. Have her repeat the rules to you after you tell her. Ask her at other times too. Reward her for good behavior with praise about how smart she is, what a great cruiser she is, how responsible she is, etc. She'll feel good about herself and will be happy to follow the rules. :D Psychology - it works with little ones! LOL

Just curious, how will duct tape keep the door from opening? My 3 year old grandson would make fast work of that one!!!

It really isn't going to prevent a determined toddler, but it will give you enough time to get up from the chair and stop him before he's out the door and on the balcony or in the elevator.

All you do is tape over the gap between the door and the jamb. A short piece across the top; another short length on the side with the lock, up near the top of the door. The sheering sound when he flings the door open also serves as your Unathorized Egress Alarm. :)

The best technique is obviously vigilance, but it's good to have others as a back up -- you do have to sleep.

I would have loved to seen the look on your face!!

Scott

Well it was interesting because one of the people staying next door to our cabin saw what was happening and started screaming at the mother – she thought it was me because I first brought her attention to the fact that her son was on my balcony – her reply “oh, I’m watching him.” Yeah right. Anyway, I think she thought I was the one doing the screaming because after that anytime she saw me or my friend in the hall way she sort of aimed the double wide stroller they had brought along at us. That’s what you get for trying to be helpful.

Those would be great for the OP, but does Caribbean Princess have them?

I'm thinking of the AF mini's on Coral/Island. Is there somethign similar on the Grand class ships??

I just assumed they did, but looking at the deck plans, I don't see them.

Archived