Bayport Cruise Terminal to Houston Downtown

nightingalegirl

My husband and I are going on three Princess cruises-back to back-including days when we will be in port while others depart and arrive. WE would like to go into Houston and see some of the sights it has to offer.

Are taxis available at the pier to take us in and bring us back to the pier?

We prefer NOT to take tours offered by the cruise line so want to do it by ourselves-is it possible?

When we actually leave the ship we have to go to IAH to fly out. Are taxis available outside the pier? Shuttle services other than ship transfers?

How far is it to IAH?

Hope someone can help us. We leave in two weeks-booked yesterday!

Avril

As Princess has not yet arrived at this port, it is not possible to answer questions such as this as the port has not been utilized in quite some time and is just ramping up.

I would assume there will be taxis available. But until the first cruise gets there, there can't be a definite answer.

Distances in Houston are really far apart. Trying taxi's would be very expensive. I would consider one day car rentals if you can find one. With the port just reopening, it is difficult to forecast what it will be like.

Port to IAH is going to be at least 45 minutes to an hour or more depending on time of day. Traffic can be as bad as any major metro area in the U.S. so be prepared.

And be aware, your not going to want to do much in downtown Houston, everything is pretty much in the burbs.

My husband and I are going on three Princess cruises-back to back-including days when we will be in port while others depart and arrive. WE would like to go into Houston and see some of the sights it has to offer.

Are taxis available at the pier to take us in and bring us back to the pier?

We prefer NOT to take tours offered by the cruise line so want to do it by ourselves-is it possible?

When we actually leave the ship we have to go to IAH to fly out. Are taxis available outside the pier? Shuttle services other than ship transfers?

How far is it to IAH?

Hope someone can help us. We leave in two weeks-booked yesterday!

Avril

Bayport is 48 miles from IAH. There may eventually be shuttles, but I haven't yet seen any mentioned.

Taxis and limos will be expensive. The ship's transfer may be best.

And be aware, your not going to want to do much in downtown Houston, everything is pretty much in the burbs.

Don't agree with this at all - there's actually a lot to do in and near downtown Houston, especially the Museum District. Do a search in this forum to find other threads discussing this.

Archived