Which is better? Carnival or Royal Caribbean?

happyprecious

This whole thread is debatable and not everyone is going to agree. I personally know people who dislike RCL. But I also know people who dislike CCL. My mom (which is a TA for 35 years) loves Princess and likes NCL. She doesnt mind CCL but dislikes RCL. She is Dimond on Princess and NCL.

Although I do agree that the experience on the Allure is superior to the experience on the Dream, you have to put things into perspective. You get more on the Allure but you also pay (a lot) more (even when they have low season prices).

I had the privilege of sailing on both the Allure and on the Dream within months of each other. Both were wonderful experiences in their own way.

For what I paid to sail on the Allure, I set the bar REALLY high and I expected to be utterly wowed. The Allure didn't dissapoint. For what I paid to sail on the Dream (a fraction of what I paid on the Allure), I set the bar lower. I was actually pleasantly surprised. The Dream didn't dissapoint either. In fact, there were things where the Dream excelled over the Allure (you can read my reviews for both ships by clicking on the links in my signature if you want more detailed information).

The secret to sailing on these two ships (or ANY ship for that matter) is to go with realistic expectations. Sailing on the Allure expecting the Dream is as unrealistic as sailing on the Dream expecting the Allure.

That goes for so many vacations, most of mine are land based. We are on sailing the Allure which will be a once in a lifetime vacation. I have to fly across the country and go to ports I have no interest in. I expect the ship to deliver my monies worth. For what I am paying, if that ship is sinking, I am calling it a free open sea excursion and staying put to frolic with Jaws. It's the one cruise I would feel guilty not taking my kids on, so the cost is times 4, which will mean major sacrifice for us.

For me if the price is same or even a few hundreds more, I go with RCL. That being said I chose The Carnival Magic over Mariner of the Sea because the Magic was a newer ship, didn't sail Carnival in a while, and my cruise before was on the Mariner. I am going next on Princess, if I don't need the money in my budget for Allure:D

Its funny how people think peoples opinions are wrong. I like CCL and I'm not sure what the rest can do to make it better. I can only cruise once a year. So I am leary on trying another line. Cause I don't wanna sit there and wish I was on a CCL ship. I can afford to go on any other line but why would I spend the extra money when I'm satisfied with ccl?

Harley

Why do you spend extra on a Harley? There are a lot of less expensive bikes out there.

We have sailed on Carnival, Princess, and RCI. There are things about all three that we like, as well as things we don't care for on all three. However, they are all three more alike than different.

Cruise lines/ships/itinerary/food/price, etc. . . . there is something for everyone. That's one of the things that makes cruising such a wonderful way to take a vacation. :D

I have enjoyed both. We really love our Carnival cruises (as evidenced by my sig line) but I will say the RCCL ship we were on (Independance of the seas) was more beautiful than any Carnival ship I'd ever been on. I think for normal cabins, Carnival is a little bigger and brighter. Our next cruise is RCCL, and one glaring area they are better at is their drink package!! $55 a day for the premium one- includes tip, and there is NO limit... also if both adults in the cabin don't drink (example, for medical reasons) you can plead your case and may not have to buy 2 packages. I have found the service level and food very comparable on the 2 lines, the entertainment was better on RCCL, I like the pizza station and deli better on Carnival. I would be hard pressed to name one as superior though.

All cruise lines have a certain feel do to having the same infrastructure/platform for their cruises. Their product is designed so that you feel like you are coming home every time you step on the ship.

This is why I enjoy bouncing around from line to line. It feels like a new experience when I board a line that I haven't cruised or cruised many moons ago.

Some people like the predictability. Some get tired of the same old same old. The comedy club was new to me, and one of the things I really enjoyed on my first and 2nd CCL cruise. After the Breeze, I may be tired of the same old same old and will venture back to Princess or Celebrity or NCL or Royal. Most likely not Royal because they were in my recent rotation.

Bottom line, some like predictability as it is comforting. Some don't. I like a new experience.

Side note, really really getting tired of the Caribbean. Its just to convenient.

All cruise lines have a certain feel do to having the same infrastructure/platform for their cruises. Their product is designed so that you feel like you are coming home every time you step on the ship.

This is why I enjoy bouncing around from line to line. It feels like a new experience when I board a line that I haven't cruised or cruised many moons ago.

Some people like the predictability. Some get tired of the same old same old. The comedy club was new to me, and one of the things I really enjoyed on my first and 2nd CCL cruise. After the Breeze, I may be tired of the same old same old and will venture back to Princess or Celebrity or NCL or Royal. Most likely not Royal because they were in my recent rotation.

Bottom line, some like predictability as it is comforting. Some don't. I like a new experience.

Side note, really really getting tired of the Caribbean. Its just to convenient.

So agree with this. CCL is our go to line for most cruises. However, sometimes we just need a change, this is when we sail RCCL.

I'm biting my tounge.

So you have never ridden a HOG;)

It was a rhetorical question. I was trying to point out that spending more doesn't mean getting less for your money. It pays to compare but if you have never tried any other cruise line you'll never know if it rides like a HOG. I've cruised on CCL and I'm looking at Breeze in the future but would never base my decision on price alone. Over all value is what I look for.

Archived