Gem & Nickelodeon-turn off?

candycrava

The Jewel is also a Nick ship and on the two times I've sailed her, I barely noticed kids or the Nick stuff.

They seem to keep the adult and kid activities pretty segregated most of the time. Obviously, the itinerary and time of year of your sailing are a factor of how many kids might be onboard.

You may be over thinking it just a bit. Its a valid concern, but its not like there will be green slime all over the ship.

I cruised out on the Gem June 1st of 2013. There were more kids than I expected, due to schools down south getting out in May.

That said...

No issues what so ever with them. The Nick caracters don't go all over the ship like say at an amusment park. Truth tell, I didn't notice them at all. I guess if you go into the kids area they are in there.

Will be lots of folks in their early twenties on your cruise, at least we did on mine.

I say go for it.

Jon

The passenger demographic on every cruise is different. One thing for sure, there will be kids, teens, 20-30 somethings and old folks. Every time. The kids don't overlap much with anything the folks your age will be doing except dining.

There will be plenty for people your age to meet and play.

To OP, unless your specific Gem sailing is advertised as a full scale Nick sailing, i.e. holidays, school recess & winter/spring break, or during the summer weeks - the Nick character presence is barely visible unless you look very closely, follow the NCL Daily & show up in the designated lounge, theater or pay extra for the dining venue @ breakfast or lunch in an alternate restaurant. Of course, you will see items for sale in the gift shop for which you can easily bypass - in other words, for majority of the 2,000 adults/mature cruisers - it's NOT a big deal at all.

During winter/school break, it's not unusual to sail at 110% capacity full with 1,200 kids onboard - our sailing had about 500 "kids" but they're mostly younger ones and since we eat mostly in the MDR, barely saw them & in the buffet, they have an exclusive area dedicated to children and we thought & saw no more than 10 or 20 of them at any given time (lots of them were also enrolled & busy in kids camp.) We're on CCL last month - a bigger mega ship and only about 200 kids sailing ...

As for guys in your "age cohort" - that's another story by itself, depending on the destination/ports & other factors and how many are booked.

We loved the Gem and it attracts folks of all ages sailing from its NYC homeport. One of the key elements of enjoying the cruise is to NOT worry about others and plan your own activities & have fun. :D

CC, you should have a nice time on the Gem!

Like someone said, college kids will be out and maybe a few younger school aged kids too.

Also, the Nick thing is subdued! They might be a round for a half hour by the pool once or twice the whole trip and then a certain room a couple times. It will not be a problem at all for you and your age group.

We loved the Bliss Lounge(dance club) on the Gem. It gets packed! Don't forget your club clothes because the kids your age were dressed nice most nights when we went.

Enjoy your cruise!

I think you will be just fine.

I sailed on the Gem many times and didn't really notice a swarm of kids or a lot of hoopla as a result of the Nickelodeon characters.

It was actually pretty cool to see some of the characters walking about the ship

Enjoy!!

We (grandparents in our fifties sailing alone) were on he August 30 sailing on the Gem with Nick. There were LOTS of kids (and teachers).

Not only were the kids NOT a problem, we enjoyed going to their Circus Performance in the Stardust Theater.

I find adults behaving poorly much more disruptive than children. And actually, I didn't see any adults behaving poorly either.

Have fun!

Archived