York/Lancaster Pennsylvania to New York port

steffysmom

Traveling on the breakaway out of New York next spring with friends and family and we are trying to decide the best way to get to New York. We found out today that the Amtrak trains will only allow carry on luggage so that probably won't work since I usually pack everything including the kitchen sink when we travel:o. There are 5 of us traveling together and we would prefer not to drive to the port. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know what to advise you. A limo would be super expensive. Train would work - check into that again. I think Amtrak's definition of carry on luggage is a lot different from the airline's definition. Folks take large bags on Amtrak all the time.

What day of the week would you be doing this? What are your concerns about driving? With 5 people it is going to be more cost effective to just drive and park at the pier.

Another options otions would be to drive to the Port Imperial in Weehawken, NJ.

http://www.nywaterway.com/PortImperialWeehawkenTerminal.aspx

Park there for $10 a night, take the ferry across the Hudson River and then either walk or take a cab up to the peir. We always walk as it's only about 15 minutes.

its $9pp each way. so you have just added $90 for five people to take the ferry.

In the end parking at Port Imperial may not be that much cheaper for a 7 day cruise. Parking at the pier would be $245. Parking at Port Imperial would be $12/day, so that's $84. Add in the $90 for the ferry. It sounds like the OP has a lot of luggage, so walking or taking a bus from the ferry may not happen, so figure about $20 for two cabs to the pier, so that's another $40, so you're up to $214. Subtract the cost of the tunnel, so the OP would save about $45 overall.

In the end parking at Port Imperial may not be that much cheaper for a 7 day cruise. Parking at the pier would be $245. Parking at Port Imperial would be $12/day, so that's $84. Add in the $90 for the ferry. It sounds like the OP has a lot of luggage, so walking or taking a bus from the ferry may not happen, so figure about $20 for two cabs to the pier, so that's another $40, so you're up to $214. Subtract the cost of the tunnel, so the OP would save about $45 overall.

Another possibility is to drive to the port, drop the luggage and passengers (passengers could potentially go visit the Intrepid) and drive the car back to Port Imperial. That way there's an extra tunnel toll but only one ferry ticket and it's walkable from the ferry terminal. Do the same in reverse on the way home (quick walkoff for the driver to go pick up the car, more leisurely exit for the rest about an hour later) and you're done. If I remember correctly, the overall saving goes up to about $110 or so by that route.

I believe Port Imperial is now $13/day and you get charged for every day or part thereof, so the cost is $104.

Another alternative, by the way, is Journal Square. Parking is $13/day there as well, and the PATH is $2.50 per person and pretty manageable with luggage. Add a couple of cabs from 33rd St at maybe $15 each and you could stay together for a little less than the Port Imperial stay-together rate.

I found Path to be very manageable with luggage. I've taken it and the light rail to go to Cape Liberty. During non rush hours you can always get seats when you get on at Journal Square or 33rd St. There is handicapped access to Path at 33rd St on 6th Ave next to JC Penney. This has been discussed before on this board.

Typically, you don't save enough money to park at Journal Square when you sail out of Cape Liberty, where the parking is $19/day. However, it is a great option for sailing out of NYC. Journal Square is a transportation center with covered parking and 7x24 security.

The family took the train from downtown lancaster and had the redcap help us put the luggage in the same car in which we were travelling. Then when we got to penn station, we just reversed, got the redcap to help us again, and got van-cab to haul us to the pier. No problems at all...loved every minute of the train.

• 2 weeks later...
Traveling on the breakaway out of New York next spring with friends and family and we are trying to decide the best way to get to New York. We found out today that the Amtrak trains will only allow carry on luggage so that probably won't work since I usually pack everything including the kitchen sink when we travel:o. There are 5 of us traveling together and we would prefer not to drive to the port. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

:eek: What!? When did this rule come into play? Where did you read this?

I just checked the Amtrak site and for all routes it says 2 carry ons with a 50 pound weight limit. In addition they have checked baggage service at all the large stations. If you are really going to have over 100lbs of carry on luggage, is there a chance you can board at a larger station? Philly?

:eek: What!? When did this rule come into play? Where did you read this?

Perhaps the OP misunderstood, maybe the train they were looking at had no check baggage service so it is carry on only.

Carry on as in the act of how the bag has to travel, not the size of the bag?

Archived