Best rum factory in Barbados

Rustyray

I will be going to Barbados in December and my wife and I were thinking about renting a cab for the day and visiting multiple locations.

I would like to visit a nice rum factory to visit/taste/buy rum. Right now I am thinking Mount Gay, but I wanted to read your recomandations.

Thanks!

The only one that I have been to has been Malibu on a Carnival Excursion. The Rum Factory itself can be quite boring. Basically they show you where they make the rum in giant kettles, then the aging rooms, and then the gift shop. Most of the time you may get a little of the history of rum but not much. Tasting at Malibu was a tiny little cup of their new (at that time) rum. About half a shot. But with the Excursion we did get access to their very nice beach and two drinks from their bar with additional table service. Was nice but nothing special.

Prices in the Gift shop were decent but nothing very special. (Nothing like wholesale or even duty free prices)

May visit Mount Gay next trip though. But really haven't heard anything about their factory tour. You can usually find a link on their website and ask about costs there.

We went to the Mount Gay factory last December. Unfortunately for us, it was a Sunday when we docked, so while we did the tour, nobody was working. Also, the "factory" is only the mixing and bottling part of the factory, so there really isn't much factory to see. The aging is done at another location. The tour was informative. You got to taste all except the most expensive rum. The prices for rum at the gift shop were a bit lower than the duty free shops were. There's a bar set up with pretty good drinks. It wasn't a bad tour, but I wouldn't do it again. We took a cab to the factory, then took another cab to a beach from there. We got lucky catching a cab that was dropping someone else off at the factory. We felt good for the beach later!

Archived