Baths and a Tortola beach in one day?

momtogo

Hi, we will be in Tortola on Easter Sunday, April 20, we will be in port from 8:00-5:30. We are 2 families with 4 kids between 14 and 11. We would like to go to The Baths as I think everyone would enjoy that. Since we will be there on Easter Sunday does anyone know if that is a holiday for the island? Would the ferry's operate as if it is a regular Sunday? If so, is it it best to take both Speedy's and Smith's one way each? I was confused about which stop would be for the Baths vs Tortola if someone could help me out with that. Would we just want to spend the day there or should we spend part of the day there and then head back to Tortola to go to Brewers Bay or Cane Garden? Would that be too much in one day? Kids like to snorkel so we would like to do that wherever we are. It's our first stop on a busy itinerary for the week but we want to enjoy our time while at each island. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

GO RED SOX!!!

Hi Mom!

Wow - you really have a nice long day in Tortola, that's unusual but great. You have several options but I would probably choose between one island or the other. You could really have time to enjoy the Baths on Virgin Gorda and still have plenty of time to spend some time at Savannah Bay or Spring Bay on Virgin Gorda.

Regarding snorkeling, we've not snorkeled Spring Bay but I'm told it's good there. There is also an area not far from the Baths that is good and perhaps someone else can help there. Or you could stay on Tortola and maybe take an island tour and then hit the beach. Snorkeling on Tortola is good at either Smuggler's Cove or Brewers Bay but Brewers would be best because there is a beach bar/restaurant and snorkel gear to rent. There are zero amenities at Smuggler's.

Ferries run on Easter, the schedules may be different I can't remember. Here is the holiday schedule for Speedy's, you can always e-mail both Speedys and Smith's as well.

http://www.bviferries.com/schedules.html?wkday=H

I would suggest the Virgin Gorda option because the Baths are unique and I think everyone would enjoy that followed by some time in Savannah Bay. We also like to have lunch at the Mineshaft Café which isn't too far away either. Everything is relatively close in the Valley on VG. You could then see Spanishtown which is within walking distance of the ferry dock on VG, or return to Tortola and do some shopping near the dock.

To get there on your own (which we would do) you would walk (or take a short taxi) to the ferry dock near the ship and take the 30 min ferry to VG. As you said there are 2 operators, you can get roundtrip tickets from 1 operator for $30/adult, or you can buy one-way tickets at $20 each ($40 roundtrip). The only benefit to the one-way ticket option is you may be able to spend more time on VG if the other ferry return times work better. Just check their sites for the departure and return times to see what works best for you. You can also buy a package that includes a taxi to the Baths. But we prefer to hook up with a driver on our own who can drop us and pick us up a different spots as it's not that expensive and they are willing to work with you. Do that could be a great day.

There is one other option, Patouche (dot com) offers a cat sail to VG and a snorkel stop I believe, you may want to contact them to see if that would be of any interest to you.

If you decide it's easier to stay on Tortola and take an island tour then enjoy a beach the drivers provide great tours in the open-sided safari taxis and there are beautiful views of the bays from the hilltops. For beach options you'll want either Brewers Bay with 1 beach bar, or Cane Garden Bay with 6 beach bars and a much bigger cruise ship crowd. I'll attach a link that gives you more details on the beaches.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1877491

Anything sound like something you'd be interested in?

Thanks for the replies! I am going to take some time and look at the ferry schedule and map out our day. I am sure I will be back with more questions.

I guess my reason for wanting to get to a beach on Tortola was that I wanted to be on the island our ship was at by the late afternoon. Should that not be a concern?

Thanks again!

GO RED SOX!!!

No need to worry about being on the same island, the ferries are very regular. You are very fortunate to have options most others do not because of your time in port. The Baths are unique and you can take the ferry or take a daysail on Patouche or even Aristocat. Many folks have only 7 hrs and have to rush the Baths but could also enjoy a beach and snorkeling as well! I would look at the cruise ship excursion to the Baths and see if you can time it to be there when the herd is not. Perhaps hitting Savannah or Spring Bay first if it makes sense.

So many choices! :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived