Google Earth

obriendan

revneal,

Four of our children's families live in the Dallas Area (Southlake, Keller, Plano, and Richardson). I homed in on their houses with Google Earth. From the house in Southlake, I can date the photo for this area with certainty as being about October, 2000. The photo shows the beginning of construction of the house which was begun then.

I'm a Mac person, but I downloaded Google Earth on DH's PC.

It worked fine the first time, but now when I click on the desktop icon to run it, I don't get the search bar on the left of the screen.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong? :(

I can click on various areas of the USA and find my house, etc., but I can't seem to find that search tool into which I type an address. :confused:

Well, Dayum! I thought I'd check the boards for a few minutes and then start in on some chores... Found this thread and since I'm a GPS nut/ gadget freak anyway.... well, it's now several hours later, the chores aren't done, and I'm still playing with my new toy. Hey it's not my fault, Slinkie, Obriendan MADE me do it....:D

That is a very interesting program. I just know I'm going to spend hours doing... research... yeah, that's it....

Considering the detail that I can see in my back yard swimming pool in those photos... hate to think what the hi-res cameras might see...

BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING!!!!:eek:

Grumpy

but if you go up to Central park and scan up it's length at one point you'll notice that the grass goes, suddenly and in a line, from dark green to brown. Must be the point where they matched together shots taken in the Fall as opposed to shots taken in the Spring or Summer.

haha, that is great! i love how you can see people boating in the lake, even though the lake and all the other bodies of water in the southern half of the picture appear to be green.

...snip...It worked fine the first time, but now when I click on the desktop icon to run it, I don't get the search bar on the left of the screen. Anyone know what I am doing wrong? :( :confused:
Click on Tools and check the Search box. You can add features one at a time.

Candy

I especially like the tilt feature... even though it's a tilted flat image, it gives my the perspective I need to figure out where I am.

This is really cool. Now where does the Zuiderdam leave from in Fort Lauderdale. I know it's near the airport, but where exactly should I look on this map. I didn't see any kind of terminal for ships.

Thanks!

Do a search for Port Everglades, FL (you'll have to pan east a little) or use coordinates 26° 5'47.97"N, 80° 7'12.48"W.

This is really cool. Now where does the Zuiderdam leave from in Fort Lauderdale. I know it's near the airport, but where exactly should I look on this map. I didn't see any kind of terminal for ships.

Thanks!

I especially like the tilt feature... even though it's a tilted flat image, it gives my the perspective I need to figure out where I am.

go to Tools>options>view and change the elevation exaggeration from 1 to 1.5 or even a little more. That flat image really does take on elevetion when you tilt it.

Some of the photos are not taken from directly overhead. I looked at my son's house, tilted the image and then rotated. From one angle, I could clearly see the end of the house. All other angles were sort of a "generated" elevation.

Grumpy

Archived