tour guides for Paris

poss

Would appreciate hearing about excellent small group tours as well as private guides (which I imagine may be too expensive). First time in Paris in a very long time, and we'll feel more comfortable if someone can "show us the ropes" for the first couple of days.

Will also want to visit Giverny.

Thank you.

Would appreciate hearing about excellent small group tours as well as private guides (which I imagine may be too expensive). First time in Paris in a very long time, and we'll feel more comfortable if someone can "show us the ropes" for the first couple of days.

Thank you.

I know someone posted not to long ago about a guide they had in Paris...small group guides and single guides are hard to find on this board.Trip Advisor or Rick Steves may be better to check out.All my trips I have never used one so I can't help with a name.When are you going? I ask as Giverny is closed after Nov 1st and will reopen end of March next year.Maybe someone will have a good post.

Thank you.

Reading the phrase "show us the ropes" makes it sound as if you want some assistance...

... navigating the Paris Metro

... or figuring out the best sequence for visiting places,

... or, even more basically, figuring out what to see.

There are enough experienced travelers on this board who can do that for you that won't need a guide. That said, my husband and I adore visiting cities with guides from an excellent small group company called Context Travel. (There's a Context Paris, Context London, Context Rome, Context Istanbul, Context Kyoto, and more!)

The guides have a minimum of a Master's Degree in Art History, or Classics, or Architecture, or History or City Planning (or more) so visiting sites with them is like a morning-long graduate seminar. You'll come away from a Context tour with a very thorough in-depth understanding.

We've been taking tours with Context for over ten years (back to the time when Context was Scala Reale and existed only in Rome) and we've never been disappointed. Our biggest let-down occurred when the guide was so into the sites we visited that she didn't make the larger social and historical connections that we find so appealing, but her description of the sites themselves was awesome. We'll be visiting Paris next year, for the first time in about 10 years, and we've already identified five Context Tours we'll want to take. Four of those tours will be day trips out of Paris, including one excursion to Giverny.

To keep costs under control, you can take the existing small group tours. There's a calendar that identifies what tours are offered when. However, if you don't find your tour on the calendar already -- especially if you're planning far in advance -- you can always inquire what the calendar will be your time in Paris.

The maximum number of small group participants will be six, but I think tours get confirmed once there is a minimum of three participants. Now, if you truly want to guarantee getting your tour, you'll need to hire private guides (and Context offers this option, too) but that gets very pricey.

Thanks for both replies.

I am continuing to do homework, checking out suggestions.

Trip will be end of June (alas, high season for hotel rates).

We're kinda old (and a little nervous about Paris) and will definitely want help with all things mentioned.

Thanks for both replies.

I am continuing to do homework, checking out suggestions.

Trip will be end of June (alas, high season for hotel rates).

We're kinda old (and a little nervous about Paris) and will definitely want help with all things mentioned.

My suggestion would be to use the HOHO bus...pick one route or do a couple of them...stay on get a feel for the sights...have a good guide book as well...then go back to see what you really are interested in.Saves walking,they are a good deal,and last 24 hours for a ticket and some include a boat ride on the Seine.You can always pick an area for a small walking tour.I always sty in the 1 ARR when I go and sometimes I go by myself when DH was working and never felt in anyway. I am not a spring chicken either.Just a thought for you.The Green Bus company does small trips to Giverny as well as regular ones if you didn't want to DIY.

Archived