Western Mediterranean

JLT

I will be traveling on the Maasdam Atlantic Adventure using a rented mobility scooter and also taking my rollater which I use at home. Haven't made any touring plans yet as this was a last minute decision. I've been searching and getting lots of good information about our ports and I'd appreciate information from anyone with personal knowledge about using the scooter at the port to see some of the towns if we don't take an excursion. These are the ports: Tenerife, Las Palmas, and Arricife in the Canary Islands; Almeria, Valencia, Barcelona, Palma de Mallorca, Cartegena, Cadiz, and Funchal in Spain; Tangier and Casablanca in Morocco; Rome, Sorrento, Messina, Palermo, and Cagliari in Italy; and Gibralter. Wow! I've been to Rome, Barcelona, and Cadiz. Several of these ports look like they have nice flat walkways along the water and even into town. As I said I'd really appreciate personal information.

I've gotten lots of helpful tips from this board since I've developed my mobility problems and I'm grateful to all of you.

Of the ports you have listed, DW and I have had experience with a wheelchair in Cadiz, Rome, Sorrento and Gibraltar. In the main you should not have any trouble getting around on your scooter as long as you don't take on anything adventurous.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just returned [today!] from a cruise on Queen Victoria to Lisbon and Iberia, including some of the ports you mentioned. I use a scooter and found Valencia accessible, although some of the streets in the old town have rather narrow footpaths which some cars park on ! Otherwise it's a beautiful old town and not bad for scooter users. I used the accessible shuttle bus from the ship to the old town.

Cartegena is a lovely place and the town is very close to where our ship docked. I just got off and had a wander around on my scooter with no problems, although not all shops have dropped entrances. Don't miss the hot chocolate.

In Barcelona we used the accessible shuttle bus and then the accessible hop on hop off bus tour.

Cadiz is mostly accessible too. We had a lovely walk around the promenade.

Have a great time - we did!

• 2 months later...
I've just returned [today!] from a cruise on Queen Victoria to Lisbon and Iberia, including some of the ports you mentioned. I use a scooter and found Valencia accessible, although some of the streets in the old town have rather narrow footpaths which some cars park on ! Otherwise it's a beautiful old town and not bad for scooter users. I used the accessible shuttle bus from the ship to the old town.

Cartegena is a lovely place and the town is very close to where our ship docked. I just got off and had a wander around on my scooter with no problems, although not all shops have dropped entrances. Don't miss the hot chocolate.

In Barcelona we used the accessible shuttle bus and then the accessible hop on hop off bus tour.

Cadiz is mostly accessible too. We had a lovely walk around the promenade.

Have a great time - we did!

Hi

I am cruising on July 2014 to Western Med with Independence of seas

Ports that we cover are-Vigo-Gibraltor-Valencia-Barcelona-Palma-Ibiza-Cadiz

I would like to know on Shore excusions at these ports - with a view of not doing it with ship - any guidance is much helpful - thx