Napa or Sonoma locals or pros?

Appygirl

Seeing as how Cruise Critic members have such a huge wealth of information even when it doesn't come to cruising, I'm turning here for assistance. I have an article assignment and I'm hoping someone more familiar with the Napa/Sonoma valleys can help me out. Either leave a reply here or email me, removing the spaces: appytails @ telus.net

I've been to the region a couple of times, not recently, and for the typical reasons most visitors go - traveling with husband, romantic getaway, touring wineries. The article I'm writing is geared towards families and not on a small budget. Market is families who take one or two nice vacations a year and I'm trying to find something new, unusual, or strange that wouldn't be part of a typical article in this region. I only need one different attraction or tour to draw but I'll take as many ideas as I can get! It could be an attraction (even wineries), place to eat, place to shop, or place to stay. Preferably nothing that is time sensitive such as a festival. I'm looking for something is available most of the year.

I've seen a couple of pictures of painted fibreglass (?) cows in Napa. Are there a bunch of these cows scattered around the valley or are these just a couple of random curious cows. I can't find anything online with their locations, such as a follow the painted cow trail that a family could do on their own or that's part of a tour operator's excursion, but maybe someone familiar with the region can point me in the right direction.

In other words, in addition to the normal reasons a family would travel to Napa and Sonoma that I can find anywhere online, is there a different angle I could write about?

Also if anyone has spent the night in Safari West who can answer a couple of questions about their experience, I'd love to find out more.

Thanks for any help!

My DW and I went to Napa in the spring of 2012 and had a great time. She does not have much interest in wine so I planned things that we would both enjoy.

We went to Santa Rosa for the Charles Schultz museum as she is a big "Peanuts" fan.

As for wineries, I chose Chateau Montelena's "Bottle Shock" experience, Sterling Vineyards tram ride, and Mumm's Napa for it's art gallery.

We visited the Culinary Institute of America for a tour and cooking demostration which was fun.

For food, we chose a couple of Guy Fiery restaurants in Santa Rosa as well as Gotts Roadside (Drive-ins, Diners, & Dives), Tra Vigne Pizzaria, and the restaurant at the CIA.

Add an afternoon at the Premium outlets and she was all good!:)

Archived