REVIEW: Carnival Valor to Southern Caribbean Oct 6-13, 2013 OUR FIRST CRUISE!

valentinebaby1

Started reading your review around midnight... its now after 2am and I'm done. You seem like a very nice couple and its great to read a report with no complaints or negatives.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with the cruise. We were on the Valor two years ago and I really enjoyed the ship; we're doing this itinerary for Spring Break. I do appreciate you naming your tour suppliers too, and I'll probably use a few of them.

Very good review with great pics.. We did this cruise one year ago today on the Victory. While you were at the Shipwreck on St Kitt, did you get any pics of the Mongoose and the Monkeys. We were there about 11:30 when they fed them? WE have to do this trip again in the future. Hurricane Sandy had the water so churned up the snorkeling was not good at all. The only place it was half way decent was at the Shipwreck. We are leaving out of New Orleans Saturday. Taking my new Nikon Coolpix 520, hoping for some quality pics. Practicing with it for our lead up to Alaska next June for our 45th Anniversary.

Thanks again:)

Thank you so much for doing this review. I really enjoyed it! We will be on Valor Sunday and this just made me even more excited!! So glad you got take your long overdue honeymoon.

Does the safe use a card to swipe or does it have the combination to open?

Thanks again!

Thank you so much for doing this review. I really enjoyed it! We will be on Valor Sunday and this just made me even more excited!! So glad you got take your long overdue honeymoon.

Thanks again!

It uses a card swipe. We tried using an old hotel room card but that wouldn't work. We ended up having to use a credit card...so we had to keep that out and with us all the time... I had a waterproof case that I kept my sail & sign card, credit card, drivers license and money in while out on excursions. It was nice having it with me while snorkeling and not having to worry about it back on the beach or something.

Love it!! You will get so much use out of it too :)

I was gonna switch out to it this week, but it's been rainy. I'm wondering if I should scotchguard? I don't normally carry a fabric purse, my other coach is patent leather so I don't have to worry about rain...I'll have to do some research on how to care for this one...but I love it!

/First let me say "what a beautiful couple" you both are... very happy and cute too.

We are doing the Valor in 19 more Sundays... just seems closer that way. Your review is one of the best ever.. will have to ask you a list of questions later if you don't mind..

Cathy

19 more Sundays does sound like it's just around the corner! :) Feel free to ask anything :) and I know you'll have a blast!

We sail jan 19, so thank you for a wonderful review & great pictures.

Questions: I have read there is a duty free shop at the pier after security and you can buy bottles to bring on. Did you see this?

You said you bought about 10 bottles of booze from different places. Did you bring them back on board or did carnival take them & deliver them on your last day?

Aw, thank you! And thanks for reading!

Jkirkn (my hubby) answered, but if you have any other questions let us know!

Great review, thanks for sharing!! LOVED this itinerary, we did it last year on the Victory. Would love to do it again and visit St. Kitts, my favorite island!

Thank you and thank you for reading also! We've read about so many people and even some that we met this time, who have done this itinerary before, and did it again...we've even thought about doing it again. Loved St Kitts! We've talked about going back there some day too...it's ok to dream, right?

OK...here goes... There IS a duty free shop but it's BEFORE the security point...so unless you can sneak them in, they will have to get stored. What they do is put a colored zip tie on your bag and that tells the security on the ship to pull you aside to remove the liquor...if you were enterprising and snipped the tag off, you could probably get through. I know a number of people that did.

The booze we bought on the trip was pretty easy to sneak on. We'd go through the scanner with them in a backpack...since it was busy, the security usually just told us to take it to the liquor check in... of course, we just put the backpack back on and walked right on past the liquor table and took it to our room... no one even really noticed. (Just make sure you go in with a big crowd and not by yourselves!)

When we first boarded in PR, I had some rum runners (all plastic) that I put some alcohol in and put them in mine and my wife's pants.... Got through fine with them...but one started leaking...got red all over my shorts and shirt (it came out) but no one noticed or mentioned it... :) The funny thing is, a bunch of people said they just walked right on with theirs in a bag or back pack...again...just remove that tag and you're good to go probably. Of course your mileage may vary....don't blame me if you get caught! ;)

btw, I REALLY recommend the Cruzan sample pack in St. Thomas! Buy 2 if you can! It's an eight pack of different flavored rums for $12.99. I wish I had bought 2! It has a couple spiced/aged rums (yuck) and then banana, coconut, mango, vanilla, raspberry, and pineapple. We bought a couple 8 packs of coke at the CVS in Old San Juan and it was GREAT mixing a couple flavors and the coke! We just put them in some large glasses we brought with us and walked around on deck with them.

-Jim

Butthead..I wasn't going to admit our wrongdoings! lol And I wasn't going to admit that in our boarding photo that I looked extra "fluffy" because I was storing alcohol! But yes, loved the Cruzan's with Coke!

Thanks again for the info.

You're welcome! Thanks for taking the time to read it! It's nice to know the time wasn't wasted :)

That was a FANTASTIC review! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I've been debating about whether to do this in May and you've helped me make up my mind!

Aw, thanks! I know you'll love this trip, it's a great ship and wonderful itinerary!

Started reading your review around midnight... its now after 2am and I'm done. You seem like a very nice couple and its great to read a report with no complaints or negatives.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with the cruise. We were on the Valor two years ago and I really enjoyed the ship; we're doing this itinerary for Spring Break. I do appreciate you naming your tour suppliers too, and I'll probably use a few of them.

I did that many times, while making plans for this trip...I'd find an old review and start reading and wouldn't stop til I was through it! It is really helpful to see people's actual reports and not just read a 1 paragraph review on trip adviser. It really is helpful! Sorry to keep you up so late :) But thanks for reading! Enjoy your spring break trip, and your trip back home to the Valor!

That purse is SUPER CUTE!!! Good choice and I love the matching wallet!!!!

Thanks! I think I did pretty well for my first official new Coach purchase! With a little help from hubby <3

Just wanted to thank you for this great review. Glad you guys had a trip of a lifetime. You deserved it. Heres to many more fun adventures for such a great couple!

Aw, thank you so much! It was certainly a trip of a lifetime! Now we're wondering if anything else we ever might do will be a let down after this one! Not that it'll stop us from trying!

Very good review with great pics.. We did this cruise one year ago today on the Victory. While you were at the Shipwreck on St Kitt, did you get any pics of the Mongoose and the Monkeys. We were there about 11:30 when they fed them? WE have to do this trip again in the future. Hurricane Sandy had the water so churned up the snorkeling was not good at all. The only place it was half way decent was at the Shipwreck. We are leaving out of New Orleans Saturday. Taking my new Nikon Coolpix 520, hoping for some quality pics. Practicing with it for our lead up to Alaska next June for our 45th Anniversary.

Thanks again:)

We got one pic of a blurry mongoose...saw a couple but they are fast little buggers! We didn't see any monkeys at Shipwreck though. No one was feeding them when we were there. We did see monkeys at Brimstone Fortress, and of course the one we got to hold. The snorkeling at Shipwreck was pretty good. I asked hubby which was better, snorkeling at the beach between the Pitons in St Lucia or at Shipwreck...he said he thought there was a little more variety at Jalousie Beach in St Lucia, but this one had the conch shells and sand dollars, plus he saw several large starfish, so it's a toss up.

Enjoy your cruise out of New Orleans! I love that city! My inlaws just came back from a land trip to Alaska, they went a little late in the season, but still said it was quite beautiful, just cold! In the summer it wouldn't be as bad...hope you have a wonderful trip, and happy anniversary!

Thanks again!

Thanks for taking the time to read it! Glad to be a part of the excitement building up to your trip! You'll have a wonderful time!

Our "honeymoon" was wonderful! It's not that we've NEVER traveled before, it was just that it was our first trip just the 2 of us...a honeymoon is supposed to be this wonderful trip where a new husband and wife get to know each other better and learn new things about each other...away from the stress of the real world; and we got to do just that. It was so different being away from the kids, away from the jobs, the bills, away from the reminders of bad memories and recent losses, away from the stress of a child with special needs, away from everything, closed off from the real world and just being able to focus on our relationship, to focus on each other...it was a chance for us to "connect" again. I loved every minute of the time we got to spend together <3

I think hubby answered on the safe, but yes it uses a card to swipe. We brought our hotel key for the purpose but we couldn't get it to work, so we had to use a credit card...so we just used the one card we took with us to the ports.

Excellent review!

I might have to check out Fatty's. The helicopter ride sounds pretty fun too. 32 days and I can hardly wait haha.

Fatty's is worth the trouble! Very authentic, down home good cooking with love from Yvette.

The helicopter ride was absolutely amazing! We never would have thought about doing something like that had we not found the Gustazo deal for it!

I have a question about the Cosol tour in St. Lucia - since people are in and out of the mudbaths / waterfalls, is everyone wet when getting back into the van? Are there changing facilities anywhere on the tour?

Also, I had assumed (and your review confirmed) that there are vendors at most of the stops along the tour - what kind of wares do they have? I'm guessing cash only? Trying to decide how much extra cash to bring along without bringing too much.

We will probably tour St. Kitts as well and do some of the same stops - are there vendors at most of those places also?

Loved your review - just a few more weeks for me!! :D

Thank you for the great review.

Fatty's is one my list.

I only hope she is opened when we arrive next week before we sail on the 10th.

Hopefully! If she's not open on one end of the cruise, maybe you can catch her on the other like we did :)

I have a question about the Cosol tour in St. Lucia - since people are in and out of the mudbaths / waterfalls, is everyone wet when getting back into the van? Are there changing facilities anywhere on the tour?

Also, I had assumed (and your review confirmed) that there are vendors at most of the stops along the tour - what kind of wares do they have? I'm guessing cash only? Trying to decide how much extra cash to bring along without bringing too much.

We will probably tour St. Kitts as well and do some of the same stops - are there vendors at most of those places also?

Mudbath had showers, but I'm not sure if it had any changing rooms...Jim might be able to answer that one. The waterfall I think had changing rooms, but we didn't use them. There might have been 2 little rooms, but a lot of people. I think there might have been changing rooms at Jalousie Beach, but again we didn't use them. Most everyone on the tour wore swim suits with shorts or sun dresses. There was a bathroom at the lunch stop. I just had a terry cloth dress type coverup that I wore...it worked pretty well to slip on in transition from one place to another. So yes, people were wet getting into the van at times.

In St Lucia, there were tables at every stop. Lots of bamboo and coconut type items. We bought a couple of table hot plate/trivets, one made of bamboo, one of dried banana leaves. The were pretty inexpensive, I think we paid $3 for one and $5 for the other. We bought a medium sized painted wooden wall hanging, a carved wooden bowl with a lid, and I bought a couple of necklaces made of painted coconut shells. We got a couple bottles of banana ketchup and hot sauce, and we collect magnets everywhere we go so we got a couple magnets for our collection. I don't think anything we bought was priced over $20. We probably spent more in St Lucia than anywhere else, but we like to bring home unique items that represent where we've been.

As far as how much cash to bring, it's a matter of preference obviously, and yes most of the venders took cash only. But with Cosol's tour, drinks are available throughout, lunch is provided so you wouldn't HAVE to spend any money, but we did bring cash to tip our driver. But if you wanted to rent any snorkel gear at the beach stop, there would be a charge for that if you didn't bring your own. I just don't know how much it was.

In St Kitts there were also venders, but I didn't think there was as much variety there. We didn't buy a lot in St Kitts. I bought a bracelet, we bought a conch shell, but then found 2 pretty decent sized shells at South Friars Beach. We did buy quite at bit at Caribelle Batik though. And we bought a couple of magnets too.

Thank you for the great review.

Fatty's is one my list.

I only hope she is opened when we arrive next week before we sail on the 10th.

Call her when you get there to find out. The number is 787-307-3894 and her name is Yvette. She'll tell you when she'll be open...I really hope you get to eat there...and remember, it's cash only...so bring enough and please tip well..she's worth it!!! (Tell her we sent you...she probably won't remember us but she'll appreciate the referral!)

The address is 102 O'Donnell in Old San Juan...basically the 1st street after entering Old San Juan...the GPS couldn't find it...but if you call her she can tell you how to get there from where you are.

-Jim

The mudbaths are STINKY!!!! And your swimsuit will REEK when you are done. There are showers to rinse you off (push button type that you have to hold down) but it's very hard to get the mud off...Even though I thought I did a good job, I noticed a thin layer of mud after I dried off. If you can get someone to hold the button for you, you can probably scrub off better...maybe bring some soap? LOL. The biggest problem is that you don't have much time...so you are rushing and that's part of why you don't get it all off...but you'll smell it later...I promise! (blech!)

There were showers at the waterfall...but hey, the waterfall is the strongest shower out there... (and it STILL didn't wash off the mud smell). Yes we put our towels on the seats and sat there wet...but you could change at the waterfall if you like...but you'll be going to the beach to snorkel right after, so there really isn't a reason to change.

We usually brought $100-$200 cash and our visa with us on each island...That was typically enough money...sometimes I wish I had more, but its probably good that I didn't :). ($300 would probably be better)

Most everywhere that we stopped had 1-5 different vendors...all cash sales...and really pretty much the same stuff at most places...but there were some unique things at different stops.

The first stop over Marigot Bay is where you can sample the local Spiced Rum...even if you don't like rum, try it... they say it's $1 or $2 to try it but since I bought something, they didn't charge for the sample (or forgot to...not sure). Once you try that, you'll get a chance to get lots more once you get to the water taxi near the Pitons...when I got back in the van after snorkeling, he gave me a full glass of it...(usually he was giving shots but he knew how much I loved it!) It really hit me...but it was great! We had some awesome bread and cheese a few minutes later that helped mellow the effects a bit :) If you want to buy some, make sure to ask your guide...he'll tell you which vendor to buy it at for the best price (probably his friend)... I think we bought a large bottle for $10 or $20 (with the spices in the bottle so you can make 3 or 4 more batches) by the waterfall... Don't buy it at the shops by the ship (if they even have it there)...make sure to buy it on the tour so you get the best local homemade stuff!

-Jim

Edited by JKirkN

Mudbath had showers, but I'm not sure if it had any changing rooms...Jim might be able to answer that one. The waterfall I think had changing rooms, but we didn't use them. There might have been 2 little rooms, but a lot of people. I think there might have been changing rooms at Jalousie Beach, but again we didn't use them. Most everyone on the tour wore swim suits with shorts or sun dresses. There was a bathroom at the lunch stop. I just had a terry cloth dress type coverup that I wore...it worked pretty well to slip on in transition from one place to another. So yes, people were wet getting into the van at times.

In St Lucia, there were tables at every stop. Lots of bamboo and coconut type items. We bought a couple of table hot plate/trivets, one made of bamboo, one of dried banana leaves. The were pretty inexpensive, I think we paid $3 for one and $5 for the other. We bought a medium sized painted wooden wall hanging, a carved wooden bowl with a lid, and I bought a couple of necklaces made of painted coconut shells. We got a couple bottles of banana ketchup and hot sauce, and we collect magnets everywhere we go so we got a couple magnets for our collection. I don't think anything we bought was priced over $20. We probably spent more in St Lucia than anywhere else, but we like to bring home unique items that represent where we've been.

As far as how much cash to bring, it's a matter of preference obviously, and yes most of the venders took cash only. But with Cosol's tour, drinks are available throughout, lunch is provided so you wouldn't HAVE to spend any money, but we did bring cash to tip our driver. But if you wanted to rent any snorkel gear at the beach stop, there would be a charge for that if you didn't bring your own. I just don't know how much it was.

In St Kitts there were also venders, but I didn't think there was as much variety there. We didn't buy a lot in St Kitts. I bought a bracelet, we bought a conch shell, but then found 2 pretty decent sized shells at South Friars Beach. We did buy quite at bit at Caribelle Batik though. And we bought a couple of magnets too.

The mudbaths are STINKY!!!! And your swimsuit will REEK when you are done. There are showers to rinse you off (push button type that you have to hold down) but it's very hard to get the mud off...Even though I thought I did a good job, I noticed a thin layer of mud after I dried off. If you can get someone to hold the button for you, you can probably scrub off better...maybe bring some soap? LOL. The biggest problem is that you don't have much time...so you are rushing and that's part of why you don't get it all off...but you'll smell it later...I promise! (blech!)

There were showers at the waterfall...but hey, the waterfall is the strongest shower out there... (and it STILL didn't wash off the mud smell). Yes we put our towels on the seats and sat there wet...but you could change at the waterfall if you like...but you'll be going to the beach to snorkel right after, so there really isn't a reason to change.

We usually brought $100-$200 cash and our visa with us on each island...That was typically enough money...sometimes I wish I had more, but its probably good that I didn't :). ($300 would probably be better)

Most everywhere that we stopped had 1-5 different vendors...all cash sales...and really pretty much the same stuff at most places...but there were some unique things at different stops.

The first stop over Marigot Bay is where you can sample the local Spiced Rum...even if you don't like rum, try it... they say it's $1 or $2 to try it but since I bought something, they didn't charge for the sample (or forgot to...not sure). Once you try that, you'll get a chance to get lots more once you get to the water taxi near the Pitons...when I got back in the van after snorkeling, he gave me a full glass of it...(usually he was giving shots but he knew how much I loved it!) It really hit me...but it was great! We had some awesome bread and cheese a few minutes later that helped mellow the effects a bit :) If you want to buy some, make sure to ask your guide...he'll tell you which vendor to buy it at for the best price (probably his friend)... I think we bought a large bottle for $10 or $20 (with the spices in the bottle so you can make 3 or 4 more batches) by the waterfall... Don't buy it at the shops by the ship (if they even have it there)...make sure to buy it on the tour so you get the best local homemade stuff!

-Jim

Thanks to you both for your quick answers! I think we'll skip the mudbaths, and I don't mind being wet, I just wanted to make sure that it would not be a problem for the tour guides.

I usually make an envelope for each day with port name on it and our cash in it, and I am just trying to make sure to have enough for each day (cost of tour + tip + spending cash).

Another question for you - did your purchases stay in the van while you took the trip to the beach, or did you have to take them to the beach with you?

Thanks to you both for your quick answers! I think we'll skip the mudbaths, and I don't mind being wet, I just wanted to make sure that it would not be a problem for the tour guides.

I usually make an envelope for each day with port name on it and our cash in it, and I am just trying to make sure to have enough for each day (cost of tour + tip + spending cash).

Another question for you - did your purchases stay in the van while you took the trip to the beach, or did you have to take them to the beach with you?

I'm pretty sure we left them in the van...I don't remember carrying anything extra to the beach...Jim might remember specifically but I'm pretty sure it was all in the van.

Thank you! And you're welcome!

I'm not sure what the price difference is between Stiletto and Calabaza, but I count at least 22-23 people in and on that boat...where we had 15 counting the crew. Calabaza was definitely worth the price for the extra 2 hours, the room to spread out, the amazing food and service! I'm sure either one would be nice though :)

We were the only ship in dock at every port for the cruise, which was nice!

Enjoying your review and pictures. We sail January 26, 2014. Pretty much have our port stops planned . . . Jealous of your Calabaza Trip. They were booked up, so we probably ended up on one of those 'other' boats! :rolleyes: We'll have a great time, no matter.

John