Wine Packages Buyer Beware

SALAD MUNCHER

And I am not in favor of everyone bringing their own Alcohol
I am in favour, and have brought champagne on board on many occasions for consumption in my cabin. Some of these bottles were given to me by family/friends as "bon voyage" presents :) , esp so I could drink a glass or two in my cabin while changing for dinner.

On one crossing my group of six met up before dinner, taking it in turns to "host" in our own cabin each evening. At each the host provided the drinkies (champagne, all brought on board in our cases).

We then made our way to one of the bars for cocktails before heading to the restaurant :) .

We found that this suited us, and we would do this again.

Each one of us enjoys our voyages in different ways I am sure :) .

Best wishes,

I am a passenger who can be seen taking a glass of wine into the dining room.

NO I am not drinking a glass of "Cheap Plonk" , and depriving the bar staff of their 15%.

At 5.20p.m I go to where the menu for dinner is displayed, decide on my meal, then go to Chart Room, I order a glass of whatever I desire at that time, listen to the music, then around 5-50p.m I order a glass of wine to take into the dining room, that will go with my meal.

The reason is that in the dining room, the staff concentrate on serving the bottles, and ordering a glass may mean waiting until around the time for serving desert. By taking my glass in with me I have it available to drink throughout my meal

We're also making an overnight call in San Francisco. One of the excursions is a 'best of Napa Valley'. That's wine country! With this whole attitude of 'don't bring wine aboard', I would have to take a pass on purchasing any wine? I certainly could not order it and have it sent to my home, as I will still be aboard for a further three months after that. . .

Hey, I *get* Cunard charging a profit for their wine. But there is a difference between a profit and in some cases a 40%-50% mark up!

For the record? This is the FIRST time I have ever entertained bringing my own wine aboard. It is simply because of the length, I have always bought from the ship in the past. My bottles of Banfi with the service charge ran me about $120 per bottle just last month on HAL. I went through three in a week. Now. . . lets multiply that times 16 weeks? That would be approximately $5,700.

I have also been looking at the Napa Valley tour as I join the ship in San Francisco and was looking at buying some wine to take onboard. As I come from a wine region in Australia I also love tasting wines from other countries.

Chez

I am in favour, and have brought champagne on board on many occasions for consumption in my cabin. Some of these bottles were given to me by family/friends as "bon voyage" presents :) , esp so I could drink a glass or two in my cabin while changing for dinner.

On one crossing my group of six met up before dinner, taking it in turns to "host" in our own cabin each evening. At each the host provided the drinkies (champagne, all brought on board in our cases).

We then made our way to one of the bars for cocktails before heading to the restaurant :) .

We found that this suited us, and we would do this again.

Each one of us enjoys our voyages in different ways I am sure :) .

Best wishes,

Hi Pepperrn, Then you understand my point of view. I don't enjoy bringing my wine on board.

Cheers

I am a passenger who can be seen taking a glass of wine into the dining room.

NO I am not drinking a glass of "Cheap Plonk" , and depriving the bar staff of their 15%.

At 5.20p.m I go to where the menu for dinner is displayed, decide on my meal, then go to Chart Room, I order a glass of whatever I desire at that time, listen to the music, then around 5-50p.m I order a glass of wine to take into the dining room, that will go with my meal.

The reason is that in the dining room, the staff concentrate on serving the bottles, and ordering a glass may mean waiting until around the time for serving desert. By taking my glass in with me I have it available to drink throughout my meal

Thank you, Jimsgirl. The voice of experience imparts good advice.

Wow, it sure was cold when I awoke in my log cabin this morning up here is chilly Canada, I had to run to the shed and fetch a huge pile a wood to keep warm!!!!

Boys I can'ts waits until I gets tu see some of dem dere posh urapeein folks come back here next summer to visit us . Until then I guess I'll just have to go talk to the beavers and the moose

Someone here once accused me of being " a hick from NC so I obviously didn't know what I was talking about". You've taken that to a whole new level. :D

Archived