Wine Packages Buyer Beware

SALAD MUNCHER

Hi all,

just off the QE and had an issue I thought would be useful to share.

We were travelling as two couples and each had both pre ordered and paid for a 12 bottle wine package. After a couple of days on board it was obvious we were not going to be able to drink all the wine with dinner, so we thought we would order a bottle whilst sitting in the Commodore Club, rather than having to buy a further glass of something. However when I asked the waiter for a bottle from our package, he took my 'ticket', went off, then came back, and I exaggerate not, he almost threw the ticket back at me, walked away and shouted on his departure, "You can't use that in here"! I asked him to stop and explain why. He just came back to the table and said "we don't accept tickets for wine packages in the Bars on board". I was most surprised at this and asked to speak to the Bar 'manager'. He came over and said the same thing to me, adding you can only use your wine package in the restaurant or in your stateroom. OK I said, if I order a bottle from my package to be brought to my stateroom, can I then bring it in here to enjoy whilst watching the view. He turned to me and said "NO, if you do that we will charge you corkage"!!

I must admit I was both shocked and angry at this response and immediately went to complain to the Pursers Desk. I was told that it was true, you can only order wine from your package to drink either in the restaurant or in your stateroom. They did admit however that the waiter should not have said he would charge us corkage, but as far as I am aware nothing was done to correct the waiter. Later I searched all through the Cunard booklet on Wine Packages and sure enough in the T&C in the smallest of print it states that wine can be only ordered either at the restaurants or via Room Service to your stateroom.

Last year we travelled on HAL and made us of wine packages and we never had any problems with ordering wine from our package at any time or any place on board! I stupidily to thought Cunard would have the same policy. :mad::mad:

It's is in my view a shame that passengers bing in their own wines and spirits. If you wish to drink cheap stuff, stay at home. You can buy a lifetime measure of container wine for the amount you spend on a Cunard Cruise.

In a restaurant or a bar of european standards you should never ever bring in your own food or drinks with the exception of needs for a special diet. It is totally at the discretion of the host to decide where special offers are served.

If you can't afford to consume, don't do it. If you wan't to travel US-style, use another cruise line please.

If you bring in your own wine, bring in your own corker or give a tip/corkage to the staff for this service.

The staff on all cruise ships lives almost only on the tips and their share of the extra revenue they make when selling you drinks.

How on earth did you earn the money you used to pay the fare when in your business everyone can just use the premisies without paying for the consumption?

Please, CC users, explain your thoughts on that.

It's is in my view a shame that passengers bing in their own wines and spirits. If you wish to drink cheap stuff, stay at home. You can buy a lifetime measure of container wine for the amount you spend on a Cunard Cruise.

In a restaurant or a bar of european standards you should never ever bring in your own food or drinks with the exception of needs for a special diet. It is totally at the discretion of the host to decide where special offers are served.

If you can't afford to consume, don't do it. If you wan't to travel US-style, use another cruise line please.

If you bring in your own wine, bring in your own corker or give a tip/corkage to the staff for this service.

The staff on all cruise ships lives almost only on the tips and their share of the extra revenue they make when selling you drinks.

How on earth did you earn the money you used to pay the fare when in your business everyone can just use the premisies without paying for the consumption?

cunardaddict, I do not understand your response - the OP was speaking of a wine package that was purchased on board.

He turned to me and said "NO, if you do that we will charge you corkage"!!

I must admit I was both shocked and angry at this response and immediately went to complain to the Pursers Desk. I was told that it was true, you can only order wine from your package to drink either in the restaurant or in your stateroom. :

I was only looking at the Wine Package brochure yesterday and it was clear that the wines were for delivery to your dining table or stateroom. As in much documentation it should perhaps state what you CAN NOT do with your wine package. The packages include the 15% gratuity I believe. The attitude of the staff should however be a bit more generous than you intimate.

Hi all,

just off the QE and had an issue I thought would be useful to share.

We were travelling as two couples and each had both pre ordered and paid for a 12 bottle wine package. After a couple of days on board it was obvious we were not going to be able to drink all the wine with dinner, so we thought we would order a bottle whilst sitting in the Commodore Club, rather than having to buy a further glass of something. However when I asked the waiter for a bottle from our package, he took my 'ticket', went off, then came back, and I exaggerate not, he almost threw the ticket back at me, walked away and shouted on his departure, "You can't use that in here"! I asked him to stop and explain why. He just came back to the table and said "we don't accept tickets for wine packages in the Bars on board".

Hi Salad Muncher,

So sorry to read you had a problem, I hope it didn't spoil your cruise. Speaking for myself, when reading your post, I was far more concened about the dreadful service than the wine issue, if you don't mind me saying that. The steward could have diffused the situation (but not solved it of course) if he had quietly explained the rules. So sorry to read that he did not do so in a polite way. Personally I would have made a bigger complaint about that, than the wine problem.

I was most surprised at this and asked to speak to the Bar 'manager'. He came over and said the same thing to me, adding you can only use your wine package in the restaurant or in your stateroom. OK I said, if I order a bottle from my package to be brought to my stateroom, can I then bring it in here to enjoy whilst watching the view. He turned to me and said "NO, if you do that we will charge you corkage"!! I must admit I was both shocked and angry at this response and immediately went to complain to the Pursers Desk. I was told that it was true, you can only order wine from your package to drink either in the restaurant or in your stateroom. They did admit however that the waiter should not have said he would charge us corkage, but as far as I am aware nothing was done to correct the waiter. Later I searched all through the Cunard booklet on Wine Packages and sure enough in the T&C in the smallest of print it states that wine can be only ordered either at the restaurants or via Room Service to your stateroom.

I've never yet bought a wine package as when I looked in detail, I didn't like the selection of wines. Furthermore, as some evenings I drink only one glass of wine with my meal, like you, I worked out that I'd never work my way through the lot! I much prefer the flexibility of keeping a half full bottle for the next night, rather than feel I have to drink it... as a new bottle will be waiting for me the following evening.

Thank you however for posting the useful information, to be honest I'd not thought about where you could "drink" the package, and am pleased to read that you can ask for bottles to be brought to your cabin. If one timed that with inviting friends for drinkies one evening, or watching sailaway from one's balcony, I can see some of the advantages of buying a wine package now, thanks to your information.

Once again, sorry about the service issue, did you take that further while on board?

Best wishes for your next cruise, :)

It's is in my view a shame that passengers bing in their own wines and spirits. If you wish to drink cheap stuff, stay at home. You can buy a lifetime measure of container wine for the amount you spend on a Cunard Cruise. In a restaurant or a bar of european standards you should never ever bring in your own food or drinks with the exception of needs for a special diet. It is totally at the discretion of the host to decide where special offers are served. If you can't afford to consume, don't do it. If you wan't to travel US-style, use another cruise line please. If you bring in your own wine, bring in your own corker or give a tip/corkage to the staff for this service. The staff on all cruise ships lives almost only on the tips and their share of the extra revenue they make when selling you drinks. How on earth did you earn the money you used to pay the fare when in your business everyone can just use the premisies without paying for the consumption? Please, CC users, explain your thoughts on that.
As Salacia correctly says, Salad Muncher was talking about wine purchased through Cunard, not wine brought on board.

You may wish to re-read the original post, and then your response...

As for bringing bottles on board that have been purchased previous to the voyage, we might have favourites that we do not KNOW we can get on board. Or may have personal, private reasons for wishing to drink certain wines, spirits or champagne when on our balconies or in the privacy of our cabins. Sometimes I've taken bottles on board with me, sometimes not.

Or we may simply want an alternative to Pol Acker :eek: .

Hi Salad Muncher,

So sorry to read you had a problem, I hope it didn't spoil your cruise. Speaking for myself, when reading your post, I was far more concened about the dreadful service than the wine issue, if you don't mind me saying that. The steward could have diffused the situation (but not solved it of course) if he had quietly explained the rules. So sorry to read that he did not do so in a polite way. Personally I would have made a bigger complaint about that, than the wine problem.

Yeah same. I imagine there were a few raised eyebrows from other passengers in the Commodore Club at the sight of a staff member shouting at a passenger.

Sue, I hope you lodged a complaint as that kind of behaviour from either staff or passengers is never appropriate.

As for bringing bottles on board that have been purchased previous to the voyage, we might have favourites that we do not KNOW we can get on board.

I do think that Cunard's champagne list could be more extensive.

As Salacia correctly says, Salad Muncher was talking about wine purchased through Cunard, not wine brought on board.

You may wish to re-read the original post, and then your response...

Sorry, the header I posted got lost. This was not a reply directly to the OP, but adressed to all who posted similar contents.

BTW.: I had indeed included a small remark concerning the consumption of the wine package bottles in the bars. But I do understand that it was not to obvious as it was not my key concern. I have never noticed this offer at all.

Any way, I never had a problem like this or the missing corker as I receive a stunning good service from the whole service crew aboard. As far as I know all butlers and stewards are constantly carrying their own corker - it's a habit of this profession. If they refuse to assist I would starting to reflect my own acting towards them...

Or we may simply want an alternative to Pol Acker :eek: .

Veuve Cliquot? ;-)

I prefer Louis Roederer Cristal, unfortunately not always available on the ships. But I never thought of bringing a case with me. A real gentlemean knows how to cope with serious deficits. In a case of real emergency I would even consider drinking a Californian Carbernet Sauvignon - but striktly and only in an emergency situation when honest wines are not available and the tabwater is not clean.

Hi Salad Muncher,

I've never yet bought a wine package as when I looked in detail, I didn't like the selection of wines. Furthermore, as some evenings I drink only one glass of wine with my meal, like you, I worked out that I'd never work my way through the lot! I much prefer the flexibility of keeping a half full bottle for the next night, rather than feel I have to drink it... as a new bottle will be waiting for me the following evening.

Thank you however for posting the useful information, to be honest I'd not thought about where you could "drink" the package, and am pleased to read that you can ask for bottles to be brought to your cabin. If one timed that with inviting friends for drinkies one evening, or watching sailaway from one's balcony, I can see some of the advantages of buying a wine package now, thanks to your information.

Once again, sorry about the service issue, did you take that further while on board?

Best wishes for your next cruise, :)

Hi Pepper,

This wine problem in no way ruined our cruise, which we all enjoyed immensely.

However I did not take it any further whilst on board, apart from the original complaint to the Purser's desk. Although the attitude of the two members of staff in the Commodore was rude and unhelpful to say the least, I did not think it worth creating too much fuss as the majority of staff on the ship as usual were exemplary!

As for ordering wine for our cabin, as this trip was to celebrate my birthday and becoming a Pens**ner, (don't want to admit this yet lol), we had taken on board some bottles of champers and white wine for consumption in our stateroom, so had our travel companions, so in fact in the end we were 'wined out' :eek: and did not really need to order wine from our package....we just drank more in the restaurant! :D

Why do you assume those of us who bring wine on board bring 'cheap stuff'? Most only bring their particular favourites which may not be available on board.

The only place in the UK where you can bring in your own wine is at a BYO restaurant...

Why do you assume those who bring on wine can't afford to consume? We bought a 12 bottle wine package at $479, brought some of our own on board and, during the trip, as well as buying cocktails and individual drinks we bought 3 x bottles of Champagne at $92 per bottle (inc of course the 15% service). Please explain what you mean by travelling US Style? :confused:

Our bar bill included an amount of over $100 just in service charges alone so I think you are preaching to the converted here!

How do you know what my business is? Or whether I have premises? Or how I earned my money? Please read all the facts before writing comments that have no relevance to the issue being discussed.

Sorry if I sound rude but you really do need to think before you write!

Saladmuncher.

I fully agree with you the response by Cunardaddict was inappropriate.

Sorry to read of rudeness of staff, this behavior should not happen on any cruise line and certainly not on Cunard.

I hope you will not get any further "ugly" responses

This highlights the possible problems of buying a wine package at all whether before sailing or on the ship. What happens if you are ill for a few days (don't mention the Noro) you are left with bottles of expensive wine, which presumably you would be allowed to take home, but which had cost you resteraunt prices.

Another problem is subsistution of wines ordered:they do not guarantee that this will not happen.

OK you make a saving, but I would always order as I go.

Possibly a good learning point with this post.

David.

My thoughts are that you responded in an inappropriate manner, the OP asked a simple question, had anyone else had problems with the wine package they purchased on board.

You did not have to be so vitriolic . OP was treated badly by the staff when you wished to drink wine for which he had already paid.

This thread was about a wine package purchased on board where the 15% gratuity has already been included! If it is OK for the dining room or cabin - why not the bar?

Passengers are obviously entitled by Cunard to bring wine on board because they clearly state there will be a corkage charge of $20 if brought into the dining rooms. That equates to 15% on a $133 bottle of wine!!!

I might wish to bring in a couple of bottles of something for consumption in my suite and I see nothing wrong in that at all - and I certainly would not do it with the objective of bringing something cheap, a particular bottle of whiskey is a good reason for me.

If anyone wants to drink "Cheap stuff" on their cruise it isn't anybody's business but their own.

If I want to bring my own alcohol on board I will and I do.

One of the ways I have the money to go on cruises is I try not to get ripped off. I regard the price of drinks on Cunard a bit of a rip off (e.g. look at P&O's prices) so I just have the odd drink in the bars and drink also in my stateroom.

As for the bar staff losing tips by people such as me not buying overpriced booze, if BYO was prohibited, I would not suddenly double my alcohol intake in the bars, I would still buy the same amount.

And I'm not using the premises without paying either, I've spent a few grand to "Use the premises". Perhaps you would like people in the bars just reading, chatting etc. to get thrown out for not drinking?

Whitemarsh (and everybody else), here is a perfect example of what I called (in another topic) a war against anyone who dare to criticize ANYTHING: the first answer!

Regardless of his complain is a fair one or not, can anyone justify such a rude answer? What can possibly explain this behavior? :eek:

I must respectfully disagree, Cunardaddict.

Why should I pay Cunard $40- 50 dollars more PER bottle of Banfi than I can get it for here at home? Can I afford to pay that extra premium price? Yes, I can. Do I want to? No, not at all. That's one of the reasons I am hoping I can bring a case or two aboard for the full worldie.

ETA: Alas they do not offer the wines OR varietals I enjoy on any of the wine packages, so the packages are off the table for me.

I agree that the staff were rude and talked as they did to the OP.

I also think they should allow you to have the wine that is purchased from the wine package to be consumed anywhere, since you have paid for it...maybe they should change the rules.

Couldn't the OP have ordered the wine to their room and then carried a glass of wine to the CC? I have seen people carry glasses of wine all around the ship.

I agree that the staff were rude and talked as they did to the OP.

I also think they should allow you to have the wine that is purchased from the wine package to be consumed anywhere, since you have paid for it...maybe they should change the rules.

Couldn't the OP have ordered the wine to their room and then carried a glass of wine to the CC? I have seen people carry glasses of wine all around the ship.

They were told that if they did that they would be charged corkage. But I agree, people carry glasses around the ship so unless there is a rule about only consuming wine/alcohol in the bar from which you purchased it, then that is what I would do.

And yes, why someone would make any comment about others bringing wine onboard in relation to the OP's original comment and in a nasty manner, was not helpful.

Sorry if I sound rude but you really do need to think before you write!

Saladmuncher, my original message was not directed to you, it was a general reply to all similar contributions which were posted here now repeatetly for a long time. Unfortunately my header was not show in the message and therefore it was not clearly marked as that. Sorry for this.

This is a forum and not a personal email system. If someone feels that a posting doesn't meet his thougts, it's just not ment for this person.

In general I keep to my statements as we have seen here now postings giving a few different reasons for carrying own drinks on to the ship:

1. The variety of choices is not sufficent.

I agree totally to this. The wine list has been reduced constantly and significally. Nevertheless I was brought up in a very good German hotel where the guest would rather ask if they may have their favorite wine on ther future stays rather than bringing their own wine in. This is, in my 58 years of experience in living and travelling on a high social level, the only acceptable attitude. And this is exactly how Cunard is able to supply regular passengers with their favorite needs. It works well.

2. Wine bought in a shop is significally cheaper than on a ship or in a good restaurant.

This is not to rip anyone off as one of the posters mentioned, it is to cover the costs of selecting, buying, delivering, storing and serving in a luxury sourrounding. In fact, the higher the value of a bottle of wine, the smaller is the gain between shop price and restaurant price. The average wine calculation in a German Restaurant of the level of the MDR ist 300% on the purchase price (inclusive of service charge as we always include it in the displayed price on the list).

3. All waiters/wine butlers/Bar staff live on the sales they generate personally. If someone brings in wine in the value of 500$ this causes a loss in consumption for the ship of 2.000$ plus 15%service charge and tip. As the staff receives a much higher participation on selling highere priced bottles (I know this for sure, but I will not reveal the details - I try to order always above this line...) , they certainly do not enjoy seeing this type of wine brought in. And that is exactly, why it is possible to talk them into organizing your favourites for the next journey.

4. I have noted on many occasions that a lot of passengers, mostly originating from the US and UK have an absolutely inacceptable attitude towards staff. The time of slavery is over. This attitude ("I can pay for it so I deserve it und you underdog have to comply!") is totally unacceptable and probably a reason for some reaction that are understood as beeing inappropriate towards a passenger. I know that most people working in the hospitality industry in yourcountries are low profile but in high class establishment in Europa and on these ships the service staff has had a high level training of many, many years, speak probably more languages than anyone of us and live a hard live without their families and working very long hours just to serve us. They deserve our respect. Part of the respect is that we accept their service and make wide use of it to our and their advantage

Living in a luxurury surrounding of European standards requires some adaption to the social standards of this type of society.

5. (edited, missed out on first post) The bars a separate profit centre. That is why you cannot have your wine from the restaurant served in the bar. I never had a problem taking my last glass of wine from the QG dinner table into the Queens Lounge when taking the coffee there.

6. We do not only need a fashion police, we also need a behaviour police on the ships :-))

All this is not directed to anyone posting here personally, it is just a summary of my remarks to what I have seen abaord the Cunard ships on many journeys in connection with a summarical answer to many postings in this forum.

It certainly is not ment to ruin a big birthday coming up on Thursday. I will raise my glass on thursday 6pm. CEST and cheer!

Saladmuncher, my original message was not directed to you, it was a general reply to all similar contributions which were posted here now repeatetly for a long time. Unfortunately my header was not show in the message and therefore it was not clearly marked as that. Sorry for this.

This is a forum and not a personal email system. If someone feels that a posting doesn't meet his thougts, it's just not ment for this person.

In general I keep to my statements as we have seen here now postings giving a few different reasons for carrying own drinks on to the ship:

1. The variety of choices is not sufficent.

I agree totally to this. The wine list has been reduced constantly and significally. Nevertheless I was brought up in a very good German hotel where the guest would rather ask if they may have their favorite wine on ther future stays rather than bringing their own wine in. This is, in my 58 years of experience in living and travelling on a high social level, the only acceptable attitude. And this is exactly how Cunard is able to supply regular passengers with their favorite needs. It works well.

2. Wine bought in a shop is significally cheaper than on a ship or in a good restaurant.

This is not to rip anyone off as one of the posters mentioned, it is to cover the costs of selecting, buying, delivering, storing and serving in a luxury sourrounding. In fact, the higher the value of a bottle of wine, the smaller is the gain between shop price and restaurant price. The average wine calculation in a German Restaurant of the level of the MDR ist 300% on the purchase price (inclusive of service charge as we always include it in the displayed price on the list).

3. All waiters/wine butlers/Bar staff live on the sales they generate personally. If someone brings in wine in the value of 500$ this causes a loss in consumption for the ship of 2.000$ plus 15%service charge and tip. As the staff receives a much higher participation on selling highere priced bottles (I know this for sure, but I will not reveal the details - I try to order always above this line...) , they certainly do not enjoy seeing this type of wine brought in. And that is exactly, why it is possible to talk them into organizing your favourites for the next journey.

4. I have noted on many occasions that a lot of passengers, mostly originating from the US and UK have an absolutely inacceptable attitude towards staff. The time of slavery is over. This attitude ("I can pay for it so I deserve it und you underdog have to comply!") is totally unacceptable and probably a reason for some reaction that are understood as beeing inappropriate towards a passenger. I know that most people working in the hospitality industry in yourcountries are low profile but in high class establishment in Europa and on these ships the service staff has had a high level training of many, many years, speak probably more languages than anyone of us and live a hard live without their families and working very long hours just to serve us. They deserve our respect. Part of the respect is that we accept their service and make wide use of it to our and their advantage

Living in a luxurury surrounding of European standards requires some adaption to the social standards of this type of society.

5. (edited, missed out on first post) The bars a separate profit centre. That is why you cannot have your wine from the restaurant served in the bar. I never had a problem taking my last glass of wine from the QG dinner table into the Queens Lounge when taking the coffee there.

6. We do not only need a fashion police, we also need a behaviour police on the ships :-))

All this is not directed to anyone posting here personally, it is just a summary of my remarks to what I have seen abaord the Cunard ships on many journeys in connection with a summarical answer to many postings in this forum.

It certainly is not ment to ruin a big birthday coming up on Thursday. I will raise my glass on thursday 6pm. CEST and cheer!

I'm not a regular contributor to the Cunard Board, but without wishing to be rude, I believe you have managed to offend most of North America and the UK, not to mention a significant number of the posters.

I haven't sailed with Cunard for a couple of years, but to be honest most of the passengers we interacted with were VERY polite, well mannered AND considerate of the crew, be they in QG or anywhere throughout the ship. That is what makes Cunard different. You will always get the odd "bad apple", but to generalise as you do is frankly laughable.

If you have such an issue with your fellow passengers and enjoy the QG, why do you not try MV "Europa" or "Europa II"? HAPAG LLOYD, sounds much more up to your "high social standards"... ?

For me, I'm looking forward to my crossing next year on QM2, and the truly unique atmosphere that Cunard still provides on these voyages.

I wish you the very best of luck.....

I was hoping that cunardaddict's post would start with a humble apology to SALAD MUNCHER... (et al).

Cunardaddict, I have to agree with everything that PS Caledonia has said. You missed an opportunity to help put things "right", instead you dug a deeper hole, sadly.

Have another go...

Archived