Too Late for Insurance?

brooklynfc

Sooooo, I think I made a booboo. You think after 7 cruises I might know EVERYTHING (or so my friends tell me).

I booked my Magic cruise 670 days out (I bought a house so that expendable income was gone, making payments was my only option.) When I booked I didn't take the Carnival Insurance because I figured I would do another well known website, like I usually do. However, I didn't think I needed to get travel insurance right then, 2 years out.

As we are almost a year out, I went to the website to check and there is basically nothing available. Just very basic plans. I would prefer to get the "Cancel for any reason," but my logic tells me that if I had wanted that kind of plan I should have bought it when I purchased the cruise. I can't even find anywhere to purchase the Carnival Insurance on my account.

Did I make a booboo or am I just not looking in the right spots?

I've never bought the carnival insurance, but have been offered it up to final payment time.

I almost always buy CSA Custom Luxe which you can buy up to within 24 hours of final payment and it covers preexisting medical plus other stuff. Through that insurance website.

I've found that many plans won't be available more than 365 days in advance, so you may just need to wait until you are under a year out. The biggest issue you'll have is pre-existing conditions won't be waived as most plans that do waive them require that you purchase the policy 14-21 days after initial payment.

I just booked CSA Custom Luxe through insuremytrip.com yesterday for my cruise that leaves in 6 days........don't beat yourself up over forgetting after 7 cruise........I forgot and this is our 31st cruise......:p

My policy doesn't cover pre-existing because it wasn't purchased within so much time after final payment, but I don't have any pre-existing conditions so I'm not concerned.

I just wanted it for the medical and medevac protection. I'm 57 and my sister is 56 and our policy cost was $102.

Sooooo, I think I made a booboo. You think after 7 cruises I might know EVERYTHING (or so my friends tell me).

I booked my Magic cruise 670 days out (I bought a house so that expendable income was gone, making payments was my only option.) When I booked I didn't take the Carnival Insurance because I figured I would do another well known website, like I usually do. However, I didn't think I needed to get travel insurance right then, 2 years out.

As we are almost a year out, I went to the website to check and there is basically nothing available. Just very basic plans. I would prefer to get the "Cancel for any reason," but my logic tells me that if I had wanted that kind of plan I should have bought it when I purchased the cruise. I can't even find anywhere to purchase the Carnival Insurance on my account.

Did I make a booboo or am I just not looking in the right spots?

I guess I don't understand why you would need insurance now as you can cancel outside of the penalty period and get your money back. I just bought insurance through one of the companies mentioned for a cruise I booked today for this Dec. (We are in the penalty period). I too buy for medical mostly as my son has health problems. But I believe you can buy the insurance anytime, it just might not cover pre-existing conditions if you don't get within 14 days of final payment or something. Carnival's insurance seems high for what you get. I think you can find better policies.

• 2 months later...