New York - Best Travel - Bus, Taxi, Limo ??

JimmyJ

Traveling on Carnival Splendor on Dec. 03.

Flying in from Toronto in the morning and arriving in LaGuardia about 11am.

Any suggestions as to the best (and quickest) way to get from airport to ship?

Carnival has bus transportation ($30us p/p)

Regular taxi ??

Limo ??

From what I've read online, there is a usual toll of $5 for taxi/limo - and it must be included in the bus price.

Always find the people on CC are great in being helpful, so I'm hoping I can get some personal opinions.

Thanks

JimmyJ

I am originally from Toronto and have now lived in nyc for over 4 years!

I would just take a yellow taxi outside at the taxi stand. Ask them to take the 59th St/Queensboro Bridge as its free so no tolls. However the tunnel may be faster and worth the toll if it's rush hour when you arrive.

If you would feel better about having a car waiting for you, although it's never a problem to get a cab at all, you can book with Carmel car service for a flat rate. I use them all the time for airport pick ups. When you arrive you will gave to call them and they'll give you a car number to find on the curb.

Cabs really are cheap and reliable in Nyc. Especially from the airport. Just make sure you give yourself enough time.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Forums mobile app

I just realized you said you arrive at 11 am. You shouldn't have any trouble just taking a cab, which will like be around $40 (my guess). You may want to call and get a quote from Carmel too, they are pretty reasonable and a nicer ride.

Carmel is one of our favorite car service (aside from our local ones in NE Queens) - showing an online flat-rate quote of $30 for a full size sedan from LGA to 711 12th Ave, Manhattan (New York) - reduced by a $3 online/discount coupon - to just $27 plus possible toll, under $6 w. their EZ-Pass (if using the Queens Midtown Tunnel or RJK or formerly Triborough Bridge - travel time 30 to 45 minutes by using the quicker route, depending on traffic condition, their drivers are very good with getting your there safely & quickly.) Ed Koch a/k/a 59th Street Bridge is toll-free and shortest in distance, but not always the best nor fastest as it's often congested - and going crosstown on 57th Street can be a nightmare.

Carmel has a large fleet of cars & mini-vans, SUV and their own garage / parking lots near the airports to dispatch an available driver to pick you up if you don't want to stand in a taxi line. Call them once you deplane and inside the terminal heading to the exit with all your luggages - they can usually get a car over in 10 minutes or less, especially if you pre-book with them ahead of time & reconfirm as being ready for pickup on arrival.

Just off the Splendor 2 weeks ago.We booked Carnival transfers,not the cheapest but great service ,pickup tied to your flight times ,return to the airport right from the dock ..I highly recommend the transfers ,no hassle finding a cab,pickup right outside the dock.

Thanks Cruisebunnies - I'll check out the Carnival Transfers.

May I ask... how long did you have to wait from the airport.

My thought is that they wait until the bus is full - so it could be several hours just waiting??

Am I wrong??

Another question: When you got the transfers and put your luggage inside the bus - did you have to retrieve it at the port - or if the tags are on - just go to boarding and the bags will be loaded on the ship?

Last question... How did you enjoy the Splendor???

OH By-the-way... NICE picture !!

Thanks

JimmyJ

(Mississauga)

Most appreciate your advice !!

I'm orig from Boston - living in TO since '73

Always nice to hear from those who come from TO and travel to US !!

Cheers

JimmyJ

I am originally from Toronto and have now lived in nyc for over 4 years!

I would just take a yellow taxi outside at the taxi stand. Ask them to take the 59th St/Queensboro Bridge as its free so no tolls. However the tunnel may be faster and worth the toll if it's rush hour when you arrive.

If you would feel better about having a car waiting for you, although it's never a problem to get a cab at all, you can book with Carmel car service for a flat rate. I use them all the time for airport pick ups. When you arrive you will gave to call them and they'll give you a car number to find on the curb.

Cabs really are cheap and reliable in Nyc. Especially from the airport. Just make sure you give yourself enough time.

Archived