NCL studios-price drops

WestCoastCruiser123

I would say that it all depends on you and your needs and likes.

I've stayed in a studio and loved the experience. Loved being able to go to the studio lounge at all hours and get snacks without having to travel all over the ship for them, etc. Loved going to dinner with the other solos (though, I've heard that you can join in with that even without staying in a studio).

However, I've seen some people in this forum say that the room might be too small for them, they're claustrophobic, etc. Personally, that wasn't an issue at all for me. I thought the room was comfortably spacious yet cozy. It was the perfect size for one person.

I have another studio booked for January (yep, going on the Epic a second time!), though if the upgrade fairy decided to pay me a visit and offer me a balcony room, I can't guarantee that I wouldn't take her up on the offer. Not because I don't like the studios, but because... hey, it'd be a balcony!

No way would I 'upgrade' to a regular inside, though. You might get a few extra feet of space, but you'd lose all hours access to the studio, which to me, was a great part of the solo experience.

Hope that helps. :)

I feel the studios, with their lounge, offer the optimum experience for the solo cruiser who likes to be social. The private lounge is conducive to meeting other independent travellers and is the centre for the daily happy hour for solos and is then place to sign up for group metals, a visit to the ice bar, joining up with others for shore visits, etc. Agree it really wouldn't be worth it to upgrade to a regular inside. If you feel you need to a quiet space to hang out away from everything the lounge offers that too.

I stayed in an inside on the NCL Jewel in 2010, a studio on the Epic in 2011, and upgraded (for $105) to a Balcony from a studio on the Breakaway last month.

I enjoyed both (Breakaway and Epic) cruises TREMENDOUSLY. Having a balcony was nice but not a deal breaker in the sense I was there to be sociable and do things on the ship.

I used the balcony a little but did not spend as much time on it had I gone with someone.

I was able to get in the studio lounge for the gatherings but not at other times unless someone let me in. I would say as the others, only upgrade if it would be a balcony and you think you would enjoy it.

One of the positive aspects of the Balcony was having more room to unpack, I did enjoy the extra space.

Now, had it been $300-$400 to upgrade I would have kept the studio.

I was very pleased that I met many kind people on both boats, my objective was not to sit in the room by myself, so I would have been okay with either.

How much of a upgrade would a balcony cost you?

Archived