Best port for penguin tours in Chile/Argentina??

cruising3

Our cruise in late December/early January includes the following ports: Puerto Montt, Chile;Punta Arenas, Chile; Ushuaia, Argentina; and Puerto Madryn, Argentina.

Which of these ports would be the best choice for a tour that includes penguins?

(We generally prefer tours that run 4-6 hours rather than the longer tours.)

Also, recommendations for tour companies in these ports would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Lynn

Our cruise in late December/early January includes the following ports: Puerto Montt, Chile;Punta Arenas, Chile; Ushuaia, Argentina; and Puerto Madryn, Argentina.

Which of these ports would be the best choice for a tour that includes penguins?

(We generally prefer tours that run 4-6 hours rather than the longer tours.)

Also, recommendations for tour companies in these ports would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Lynn

Hi Lynn, try Pira Tours in Ushuaia if you have enough time there to go to Martillo Island to WALK among Magellanic penguins and you will hopefully also see a small group of Gentoo Penguins there. This is the only Company that has permission to land on the Island and the typical ships excursion will only beach their catamaran on the beach but passengers cannot get off to walk among them. There are only 20 people allowed on the Island at any one time.

You can also see a very large colony of Magellanic Penguins at Punta Tombo (Flamenco Tours) if you call in at Puerto Madryn but its a long way from the Port and it might be less risky to do it with a ships excursion.

It is a pity that you are not going to the Falklands as this, as in my opinion,this is the very best place to see them is at Volunteer Point if you were to have gone to Port Stanley in the Falkland Islands. There are 3 types of Penguins there, King, Gentoo and Magellanic. Patrick Watts arranges trips to go there at a fraction of the price of a typical shore excursion.

I think that you can also see Magellanic Penguins from Punta Arenas at Magdelena Island and Marta Islands or the Otway Peninsular. Canales Solo Expediciones can take you to Magdelana Island

Wherever you go enjoy seeing them, regards, Harold

... You can also see a very large colony of Magellanic Penguins at Punta Tombo (Flamenco Tours) if you call in at Puerto Madryn but its a long way from the Port and it might be less risky to do it with a ships excursion. It is a pity that you are not going to the Falklands...

Right, you can reliably see Magellanic Penguins on excursions from all 4 of those ports, whereas from Stanley in the Falklands (if you went there) you could reliably see at least three species, including the large King Penguins.

From Puerto Madryn, there is a choice between Punta Tombo, south of the port, or Peninsula Valdes to the northeast. Either destination requires a long, full-day shore excursion. We went on a ship's tour to Peninsula Valdes, where one sees fewer Magellanic Penguins but a considerable variety of other wildlife. Though the tour to Peninsula Valdes was long, we recommend it.

John

I would book tours in two of the ports.

If you go twice the experience will still be great.

However, sometimes the ship must cancel a port because of high winds and if you only have one tour booked you might miss out on this experience.

Keith

Thanks to all for their replies to my post about penguin tours -- much appreciated.

Can anyone give me feedback on the Celebrity excursion to see the Penguins at Otway Sound? The cost seems pretty comparable to private tours I have seen advertised for Otway Sound, but I am wondering if the tour quality is comparable.

Thanks again, Lynn

Lynn, I've done excursions through the ship at Otway Sound twice but with a different cruise line. I am sure that Celebrity's is not a whole lot different. I was fine with the ships tours. It's about a 75 minute drive each way to Otway Sound. I really don't think the tour would be any different. There is one large area you go to and you pretty much can walk it on your own without others regardless of whether you are in a group tour or a private tour.

I highly recommend going there regardless of whether you do it privately or on a ships tour.

Keith

I concur with Keith re Otway Sound. Your late Dec./early Jan. timing should be good. However, anyone planning to visit later in the season needs to be aware that the penguins start to leave by late February, and numbers visible may be much reduced, depending on the specific date, the year, and the weather. On 22 February 2013, a warm and uncharacteristically near-calm day, we saw only about 35 Magellanic Penguins at Otway Snd. We also saw free-living rheas (related to ostriches) from the bus a few km from Otway Snd.

John

• 5 weeks later...

I will be landing at Punta Arenas on January 14. My ship offers three tours to Otway, two in the morning, at 7:45 and 8:15, and only one in the afternoon, at 1:30. I would prefer to sleep a little later. But is it any better to see the penguins in the morning?