Small Catamaran Tours

shelbel95

We contacted Calabaz to schedule a catamaran tour when we would be in port, but they do not have availability. They provided us with some recommendations and I've already been getting responses that most have openings. So, does anyone have experience with the following companies:

Silver Moon Barbados

Shasa Catamaran Cruises

Action Charters

Small Cat Cruises

Bolador Tours

Calypso Cruises

We contacted Calabaz to schedule a catamaran tour when we would be in port, but they do not have availability. They provided us with some recommendations and I've already been getting responses that most have openings. So, does anyone have experience with the following companies:

Silver Moon Barbados

Shasa Catamaran Cruises

Action Charters

Small Cat Cruises

Bolador Tours

Calypso Cruises

I've only sailed with Calabaz, so I can't comment on the others, but this Trip Advisor link might be helpful in researching the other companies:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attractions-g147263-Activities-c25-Bridgetown_Saint_Michael_Parish_Barbados.html

• 2 weeks later...

We just sailed on the Calypso Girl on Oct 30th and had a wonderful time! Val and Nick are great hosts and treat you royally. Food was delicious and drinks continuous. Swimming with the turtles was amazing and nothing beats sailing with the wind blowing through your hair out on the beautiful ocean waters. Nick has a great sense of humor and we shared many laughs. We can't wait to go back to Barbados and sail with them again one day :)

Silver Moon Barbados

Shasa Catamaran Cruises

Action Charters

Small Cat Cruises

Bolador Tours

Calypso Cruises

We too found ourselves having to find a different catamaran tour due to others being booked up this past September. I can highly recommend R&R cruises http://www.randrcruisingbarbados.com They take no more than 12 passengers, includes all of your drinks, exceptional food, swimming with the turtles, snorkeling, transportation round trip, and great hospitality. They did not require a credit card to hold the trip, just an email confirmation and a phone number where they can contact you in port (if needed), you pay cash or credit card at the end of the trip.

It is well worth looking into and Rebecca and Ryan have a heartwarming story as to how they got to where they are today, they are a great couple. I highly recommend R&R and will use them again on our next trip to Barbados!

• 1 month later...

We had scheduled a tour with Small Cats to swim with the turtles. They included transportation to their catamaran which was about a 10 -15 minute drive, which gave us the opportunity to see some of Barbados from the land. Once we arrived, we found out that they had 6 people cancel for the 3 hour tour we were scheduled for so they put us with El Tigre. I asked what the difference would be and they told me it would still only be 12 people but a larger cat. It would be the same price, same 3 hours, the same stops and the same turtles LOL. So we went to Carlisle Bay to swim with the turtles, even though they were throwing out food we only saw two turtles, which is great, we got to see turtles and I was in Barbados and not in the freezing, snowing weather at home. One turtle we saw was pretty big about 3 to 4 feet in diameter. We then went over to a shipwreck and snorkeled; saw a lot of fish there. The shipwreck is about 25 feet deep so it was kind of hard to see it. I did free dive down and got a better look at it. I even got a great picture through one of the windows of the ship with a school of fish inside. Maybe this was there “classroom”?  We had a great time aboard the cat and the crew was fantastic. Especially Charlie! They made you feel very welcomed and were always checking with you to see if you need anything. We had one girl that was a first time snorkeler and they took the extra time and personally help her through the experience, holding on to her and staying with her the entire time she was in the water, great service. The cat we were on was a 5 hour tour which included lunch, so right before they had their lunch they dropped us off at Paynes Beach. They pulled right up to the beach dropped the ladder right on to the beach and there was one of their staff waiting to take us back to Bridgetown. We told our transportation guy we wanted to go to Rockley Beach, he said he could not take us, but would drop us off to another taxi he had arranged for us.

I'm also looking at a catamaran cruise in Barbados, trying to decide between Silver Moon and Calypso, as those are the ones that have openings. (I'm waiting to hear back from Bolador and Elegance)

This trip is for my mom, who is looking for a quiet, relaxing boat - not a booze cruise or anything with loud music.

Can anyone advise on which company would be better for this?

Thanks!

I'm also looking at a catamaran cruise in Barbados, trying to decide between Silver Moon and Calypso, as those are the ones that have openings. (I'm waiting to hear back from Bolador and Elegance)

This trip is for my mom, who is looking for a quiet, relaxing boat - not a booze cruise or anything with loud music.

Can anyone advise on which company would be better for this?

Thanks!

Both would work. I will tell you Calypso has an interior dining area to sit and a covered exterior dining area and benches too. They play nice music, and none of the crew drink. It is definitely not a booze cruise, with great food! They do have lots of booze, but no crazy loud music or Congo lines. Just relaxing day! I would not hesitate!! Tell Nick Jolinda sent you! Just saw him and a few days ago my best friend used them too (including for her 75 year old mother in law) and LOVED it.

LADYBUG cost for a small private luxury cat with nice lunch, drinks, etc is around $100 pp for 5 hours or so, give or take.

On Dec. 29, I took a catamaran cruise in Barbados with Tiami Catamaran Cruises. Booked it thru the ship (Royal Caribbean's Legend of the Seas). First catamaran excursion I've ever done, but absolutely no complaints. Captain and crew were first-rate, and seemed focused on us having a great time. I'd definitely try Tiami again. Web site is at http://www.tiamicruises.com/.

• 3 weeks later...

Other reviewers (on Trip Advisor) have touched on the basics of this trip: limited number of passengers, nice sail, great crew, lovely home-made Bajan lunch, tons of drinks of all kinds. We noted a LOT of return passengers, one family using Capt. Ron every year. Really enjoyed all of the above and would recommend it to others ($80 a person/five hours). But I would not recommend the snorkeling. We did see some turtles--maybe 2. But a boat was chumming for them and in addition there were about 50 people bumping into each other crowding over the two turtles. We left the scrum quickly. And the reef was disappointing. It was murky the day we visited which didn't help but there were almost no fish to see. The captain himself picked us up at the cruise ship (you must walk OFF the grounds and through the gate to meet) and drove us to the boat. We have visited Barbados before and we remember than just around the corner from the boat (on the same "street")there is a tobacco store and a restaurant where one can get those wonderful flying fish in sandwich, salads, etc. When cruise ships are in (there were four the day we visited) catamaran trips book early but there are plenty. Captain Ron, I think, might be one of the best kept secrets in this large group. Contact at captainron@barbadossailing.com

I also just got "rejected" by Gina at Calabaza for my trip in April. She must be THE go-to person! Busy lady. She recommended the same companies to me and I've been doing some research. Pretty much every one that I have researched so far has gotten excellent reviews. It seems to me that most of these tours offer pretty much the same thing and have the same level of great service for right around the same price. :)

I had someone on my rollcall who used Silver Moon and this is what he said about them.

They were great - 3 crew members for 10 passengers. They had an open bar, but I think people like me who there for the snorkeling, didn't want to drink too much before going in the water. After the snorkeling was over, they anchored off of a beach and served us a great lunch

• 4 weeks later...

We booked with Small Cats Catamaran, as I wanted to do a shorter excursion, not be out all day. They offer one that's three hours which was my preference. // Check out the trip advisor reviews (most are excellent) and cover most of these operators.

• 2 months later...
We too found ourselves having to find a different catamaran tour due to others being booked up this past September. I can highly recommend R&R cruises http://www.randrcruisingbarbados.com They take no more than 12 passengers, includes all of your drinks, exceptional food, swimming with the turtles, snorkeling, transportation round trip, and great hospitality. They did not require a credit card to hold the trip, just an email confirmation and a phone number where they can contact you in port (if needed), you pay cash or credit card at the end of the trip.

It is well worth looking into and Rebecca and Ryan have a heartwarming story as to how they got to where they are today, they are a great couple. I highly recommend R&R and will use them again on our next trip to Barbados!

How long was the ride to where they pick you up from?

For us in Feb. it was about 35 minutes going to and 45 minutes coming back. It depends on traffic.

It seems like they should have their tripadv. listing under a different city besides Bridgetown. Had I not read a few posts here on CC I would never know. I'm booked with Calabaza but just trying to have a few others researched. My group seems to be growing and we are maxed out with Gina. I know the others wouldn't want to ride 35 minutes to get there.

We just went with Silver Moon a week ago. It was one of my favorite excursions all time out of 16 cruises. I cannot recommend them enough. Completely pampered from the time you get to the catamaran til the time they drop you back off at port. The crew waited on us the entire day. We were laying out on the trampolines and never had to walk to the bar once as they were refilling our drinks as quick as we drank them. They also served warm banana bread and carrot cake for snacks. The lunch was delicious and consisted of jerk chicken, fish, corn, tossed salad, watermelon, homemade mac n cheese and rice n beans. On the way back to port they made frozen pina coladas for everyone to enjoy and right before we got off we were given mint scented towels to wipe off with. So refreshing and a nice touch. It was our favorite day of the whole trip. The bathrooms on board were clean and sufficient. They also have a covered area with tables and bench seating for those that don't want full sun.

• 2 weeks later...