Van Transport to Southampton from London Hotels

Knolmom

Can someone recommend a Van Transportation Company that will take 3 or 4 couples from 1 or 2 London hotels to the pier in Southampton for a cruise in May. I would prefer to hear from someone who has used the service and was satisfied.

Can someone recommend a Van Transportation Company that will take 3 or 4 couples from 1 or 2 London hotels to the pier in Southampton for a cruise in May. I would prefer to hear from someone who has used the service and was satisfied.

I can recommend two divisions of the same company: Discover the South (DtS) and West Quay Cars. West Quay Cars is the transfer service only and Discover the South is the combination transfer/touring service.

We used DtS in late August. We were picked up at our central London hotel and we visited Stonehenge and Salisbury en route to Southampton. Our driver was prompt and drove responsibly. In his touring role, he shared a reasonable amount of information about the sites. The car was new and immaculately clean. Definitely a company I'd use again.

If you go to the link I've provided, you'll see photographs of West Quay car options. There is an option for three couples and a different option for four couples.

http://www.westquaycars.com/our-cars

When enquiring, please bear in mind that a 'van' over here is what you would call a panel van and used for carrying goods. What you mean by a van, is what we call a minibus.

The smallest carry 15 passengers (with no room for luggage), but larger ones are common.

When enquiring, please bear in mind that a 'van' over here is what you would call a panel van and used for carrying goods. What you mean by a van, is what we call a minibus.

The smallest carry 15 passengers (with no room for luggage), but larger ones are common.

I'm not challenging your information, but you're making this more complicated than it needs to be.

West Quay Cars posts photographs of the vehicle options on their web site. Rather than using names like "van" or "minibus" the vehicles are called simply called "5 & 6 seater" or "7 & 8 seater." And just in case those words aren't clear enough -- perhaps for people whose English is shaky -- each web page includes cartoons of the appropriate number of passengers plus cartoons of large- and small-size luggage.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

I'm not challenging your information, but you're making this more complicated than it needs to be.

No, I don't see Bob's post as a complication - more a clarification for anyone reading this thread.

OK, an American is unlikely to unwittingly rent a panel van, but a Brit might not follow-up a van-share offer.

Always worth reminding folk of different meanings on opposite sides of the Pond.

Americans will wear pants in the dining room, a Brit would be thrown out. But a Brit can wear just his shorts in the buffet :D.

Walking on the pavement is sensible in London, but suicide in New York.:eek:

To open the hood of an American sedan you pull a lever, to do it on a Brit sedan you'd need a flame-cutter. :rolleyes:

And I'm still not sure which lane in the US is the outside lane.:confused:

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

And I'm still not sure which lane in the US is the outside lane.:confused:

For a 2-lane highway (or motorway/carriageway ;)), the outside lane would be the passing lane, i.e., the left lane. For a multi-lane highway, I would consider both the extreme left and right lanes as 'outside' lanes, with everything in-between 'inside' lanes.

Words to matter, and it's very useful knowing what words mean in different areas of the world. Another that we see often is people referring to the London underground as the 'subway'. Well, the thing is, there are subways in London, but they don't involve trains - they're just subterranean passageways under main roadways, to enable you to cross the road without being run down by a slew of double-decker buses...:D

As for the OPs original question, I'm afraid I can't help, as I'm a train gal...

• 2 weeks later...

We just arrived back from QM2 T/A East amd Westbound.

Smiths picked us up promptly at dock and were in London in no time.

On return from London we left hotel and back to S`hampton. Price is quite right; very clean privately owned cars by fine drivers.

We found Smiths on internet and took the chance! No $$ exchangead until in car..certainly would use them, again.

How long is the trip from Southampton to London by car? Are there any interesting sites to see between the two cities?

The direct route - mainly freeway - is 80 miles & takes about 1hr 45 to 2 hrs but depends very much on which day & what time.

Sights to see from the car?

Basically nothing. It's pretty boring freeway.

Until you reach central London, when they come thick & fast.

But if you want to go off-route there's a whole range of options:

The historic cathedral city of Winchester is two minutes off the freeway & well worth an hour or two.

Or for 19th/20th Century history, Milestones museum at Basingstoke, only 5 mins off the freeway. Worthy of 60 - 90 mins

Or a popular tour-transfer is via the historic cathedral city of Salisbury plus Stonehenge, which will add about 30 miles & 45 minutes to your drive. Add one to two hours in Salisbury & an hour at Stonehenge. Mebbe time at Wilton House & Old Sarum too.

Or Highclere Castle ("Downton Abbey") will add about 25 miles / 25 minutes to your drive.

Plenty of other sights such as the Silk Mill at Whitchurch, or canal boats at Newbury, could be added to any of these itineraries.

Or, on the edge of London, Windsor Castle or Hampton Court Palace, each about 15 minutes off the freeway on the outskirts of London, both worth a couple of hours.

Ditto for Brooklands if you're into historic motor racing or aviation, and the adjacent Mercedes-Benz World.

Or spread your wings further by cutting east along the coast to Portsmouth & Southsea (historic dockyard & a great deal more), the cathedral city of Chichester (& nearby the Weald & Downland open-air museum, if more-artisan ancient buildings grab you) & Arundel (castle & cathedral), before heading north through the South Downs villages to attack London from the south. This would be a total transfer distance of something over 100 miles and a journey time of a much more-interesting 3 hours - excluding stops, each worth an hour or more. Portsmouth all day if you like.

Some folk go via Bath, which is high on visitors' list in the UK. But this means driving two sides of a triangle, a total journey of 180 miles, 3hrs 45.

It all depends on your interests, your time available - and the depth of your pocket ;)

Google these places, see what you think.

JB :)