Rain on a cruise?

Yes, lots of rain, gales and even snow. I don't usually mind, but some of the worst weather was this June, when you might expect some warmth; instead every one of the 5 sea days was hit by a gale with rain, from the north.

We have been fortunate and have only had rain once and it was a sea day. Just a squall in the afternoon. It may have rained at night, but I missed it.

On a Panama Canal cruise, my wife and I were at the ships rail, when an officer ran to us and told us to get under cover.

We did, just in time, I have never seen rain like it!!!

john

Our last trip to Honduras, Belize, and Cozumel, it was rainy or drizzling for 50-75% of the trip... didn't stop us from ziplining, scuba diving, and off roading. Nor did it stop us from sitting up on deck relaxing and enjoying what rays we could get. When the rain started they closed the top to the Aft pool and we just enjoyed the sound of the rain and the waves. There were still kids in the pool on the Lido as well. :p

This sounds like my last cruise. We left Galveston in the rain. The ship and the front both went south for three days. Fortunately, we turned north at Belize and the rain didn't. Unfortunately, it was my sister and BIL's first cruise and I hoped it would be perfect.

On our panama canal cruise, we stopped in Acapulco. We had a nice day, but as we were heading back to the ship it poured. We were completely soaked by the time we got back on board. I was wearing a new black and beige top that I bought right before the cruise. It was a real bargain - only $5.00. When we got to our cabin, I realized that my arms were black. The black dye in the top had run in the rain. I really had to scrub to get my arms back to their normal shade of pasty white. You get what you pay for. :rolleyes:

Not on a cruise, but years ago I took a trip to France with a school group. One day in Paris, we got caught in a sudden rain shower. By the time we found shelter under a construction awning, we were all pretty wet. The expressions on my friends' faces were so humorous that I quickly took a picture. And it turned out that this shot proved to be the single favorite picture that anyone took that entire trip.

As they say, into each life a little rain must fall. Make the best of it!

It seems like many ports have the potential of rain, especially if you're talking about the Caribbean, Hawaii (one of the wettest spots in the world is on Kauai, but in the center), Alaska (another of the wettest spots in the world -- Ketchikan).

Over the years, one excursion we had booked was cancelled as it was a snorkeling one, so we just got a taxi to take us to a museum I had read about. Bf had planned to snorkel at another port but the water was too churned up for him. And the third port, it started pouring just as we were leaving our last stop but we were taking a boat ride back to where our ship was, and there was a cover to be under. Then a rainy sea day, so we worked out in the gym. Didn't ruin our cruise to have a tropical storm chasing us. And we managed to get a flight out of Miami before a hurricane hit.

We've had rainy days on other cruises too, and again, not a biggie.

It rained during my first cruise, at embarkation (Miami) and in Key West. It didn't put a damper in my cruise at all. They still had all the activities on the ship, with the only difference being that they moved the sailaway party indoors. I still used the pool and the hot tubs later. The rain, in fact, only added a fun, dramatic atmosphere.

In Key West, it was a little bit more difficult. It was pouring rain when the ship pulled into port. I bought a plastic poncho, and went into port anyway. By the time I walked to the museum that I planned to see, the rain stopped and the sun came out. It started again later, while I was walking back to the ship. That's when it was so bad, I had to take cover inside a bar, to wait out the worst of it.

The rest of the cruise had perfect cruise weather: sunny and hot.

In Kotor last month we were queuing for the tender boats. I noticed everyone else had jumpers or coats on. "Do they know something we don't" I asked DW. We decided we'll be okay.

20 minutes into the roofless HoHo bus tour and the heavens opened.

ImageUploadedByForums1383148954.855624.jpg.0af218ba1069dfc8f22df2a2f41a405a.jpg

We were definitely under dressed in shorts and TShirt.

Everyone on the bus voted to skip the next 3 stops and get back to the town. By the time we got back the sun was out and was glorious all day.

We had a beer to "warm' up

ImageUploadedByForums1383149477.173540.jpg.d08a23ffa8dab33f26d64382a629937c.jpg

I have only cruised to Alaska (6 times) and I don't think we've had a single cruise WITHOUT some rain! :D We've had a couple with very little rain, or only at night, but others where we had significant rain. We cruise with proper attire and enjoyed everything despite the weather.

What I don't understand is when people book a cruise (or other vacation) and don't research the weather for the area at the time they will be there... and then complain about the weather! :rolleyes:

I never complain about the weather, but disappointed, YES!

It seems we bring the foul weather with us. We have had rain, storms, and rough seas on almost every cruise I've been on.

I think the Caribbean from Puerto Rico to St. Martin and St. Thomas was the worst for rain. We did 3 days pre-cruise in San Juan and a 3 day cruise. It rained (poured) every single day. Gray skies and gray water for a week was a BIG disappointment. We did still do our tours and seeing the different sights, and we did still have a good time, even though we got soaked every day.

Then we did a Med cruise from Rome to Greek Isles ending in Venice. We arrived in Venice to pouring rain and it continued off and on for the 3 days we were there, then add in aqua alta (tidal flooding) that followed us to Paris for two more days and you have a terrible way to end a wonderful cruise. Again it was a huge disappointment.

But I think the worst one was the Pacific Northwest from Vancouver southbound to Los Angeles. We hit a terrible storm just after leaving Vancouver. Naniamo it poured, Victoria was so windy and rainy they closed the port (one lady had a roof blow off and hit her, she was taken to the hospital - talk about disappointment - can you imagine her tale), then the port of Astoria was closed due to high winds and rain (my birthday celebration was cancelled). We sailed on through the terrible night (rocking and rolling, so much so that they slowed way down to make it through the 20-30 ft waves). We had a bridge tour the next day and the officer in charge answered a question about why we slowed down in the night, and he responded he was afraid the ship would come apart in those high seas so slowed down. THAT CRUISE WAS A HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT, so much so, my friend and I have decided not to cruise for awhile at least. I won't say I will never cruise again, but not anytime soon.

So we did a 2 week land vacation to National Parks and Mt. Rushmore this year. It started with thunderstorms and flash floods and pouring rain in Las Vegas, and we were so afraid we had chosen a bad time for the trip, but once that cleared, we had beautiful weather the rest of the trip. But upon arriving in Yosemite, there were fires raging so there was no view at all, the smoke filled the sky. Talk about DISAPPOINTMENT, there were many folks from England, Australia, Germany & Switzerland we talked to, can you imagine their disappointment coming all the way to the US and seeing only smoke instead of the beautiful redwoods and Yosemite Valley, El Capitan and Half Dome????

But we all seem to still travel. The weather is beyond our control, you gotta roll with the flow. As one poster stated, she was from England and if she let rain stop her she wouldn't do anything, it's that way everywhere and not just rain. Try to be prepared and go with the flow. Happy travels to all.

It seems we bring the foul weather with us. We have had rain, storms, and rough seas on almost every cruise I've been on.

...snip...Try to be prepared and go with the flow. Happy travels to all.

Please let me know when you travel so I can travel somewhere else! :D

But in the case of rain, it is always about "going with the flow" isn't it!;)

It rained every day on our very first cruise to Bermuda... from pulling out of NYC to our 2 nights in Bermuda. The sun finally came out on our way back to NY.

While in Bermuda, the rain was coming down sideways it was raining so hard. You can definitely feel the disapointment in the air with everyone looking out the windows at the rain. :( We made the best of it and toured the island on our mopeds in the rain. (spent a few hours at the Swizzle Inn!)

You can't control the weather and we made the best of it, but we were all pretty disapointed. Still enjoyed the cruise, but disapointed weatherwise!

I think the Caribbean from Puerto Rico to St. Martin and St. Thomas was the worst for rain. We did 3 days pre-cruise in San Juan and a 3 day cruise. It rained (poured) every single day. Gray skies and gray water for a week was a BIG disappointment. We did still do our tours and seeing the different sights, and we did still have a good time, even though we got soaked every day.

Then we did a Med cruise from Rome to Greek Isles ending in Venice. We arrived in Venice to pouring rain and it continued off and on for the 3 days we were there, then add in aqua alta (tidal flooding) that followed us to Paris for two more days and you have a terrible way to end a wonderful cruise. Again it was a huge disappointment.

But I think the worst one was the Pacific Northwest from Vancouver southbound to Los Angeles. We hit a terrible storm just after leaving Vancouver. Naniamo it poured, Victoria was so windy and rainy they closed the port (one lady had a roof blow off and hit her, she was taken to the hospital - talk about disappointment - can you imagine her tale), then the port of Astoria was closed due to high winds and rain (my birthday celebration was cancelled). We sailed on through the terrible night (rocking and rolling, so much so that they slowed way down to make it through the 20-30 ft waves). We had a bridge tour the next day and the officer in charge answered a question about why we slowed down in the night, and he responded he was afraid the ship would come apart in those high seas so slowed down. THAT CRUISE WAS A HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT, so much so, my friend and I have decided not to cruise for awhile at least. I won't say I will never cruise again, but not anytime soon.

So we did a 2 week land vacation to National Parks and Mt. Rushmore this year. It started with thunderstorms and flash floods and pouring rain in Las Vegas, and we were so afraid we had chosen a bad time for the trip, but once that cleared, we had beautiful weather the rest of the trip. But upon arriving in Yosemite, there were fires raging so there was no view at all, the smoke filled the sky. Talk about DISAPPOINTMENT, there were many folks from England, Australia, Germany & Switzerland we talked to, can you imagine their disappointment coming all the way to the US and seeing only smoke instead of the beautiful redwoods and Yosemite Valley, El Capitan and Half Dome????

But we all seem to still travel. The weather is beyond our control, you gotta roll with the flow. As one poster stated, she was from England and if she let rain stop her she wouldn't do anything, it's that way everywhere and not just rain. Try to be prepared and go with the flow. Happy travels to all.

Nothing personal. But could you list your upcoming vacations..... So I can plan to be elsewhere.

Our worst rain was this past year in Antigua. We had planned a private excursion. We had to slosh our way to find our tour guide. We had always packed slickers for years and we used them this time. After about the first hour the sun came out and the rest of the day was beautiful. Oh, of course, my shoes were ruined.

[quote name='papcx']Nothing personal. But could you list your upcoming vacations..... So I can plan to be elsewhere.[/quote]

No offense taken, don't blame you a bit. You're good to go, no vacations planned in the near future, I'm taking a couple years off to save some money and vacation time.

Happy travels to all!

Archived