Emerald Princess out of Ft. Lauderdale - Entry requirements into USA

andyc567

Hi All,

We are joining a cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale on Emerald Princess early next year, and are now starting to plan our trip.

We are a little confused over the entry requirements to the USA though.

We are British citizens and hold the new type of passport containing a chip (Biometric ??) and arrive in Miami on board a British Airways flight from London Heathrow.

On previous occasions entering the USA (not for over 15 years) I seem to remember being able to gain the necessary paperwork by filling in a form on the aircraft, but I think all that has changed now ?

Question is, do we need a Visa or do we need to apply for a Visa Waiver before we travel ?

I think the Visa Waiver can be applied for on-line, so hopefully that is all we need..

Any one flown from London to the USA recently that can answer this question ?

Thanks guys

Hi

It's all very straight forward.

Prior to travel each passenger needs an ESTA to be completed on line. Cost is about $10 each. Use the official site to avoid extra charge scams.

Thee can be variations but only if you already have a visa or similar.

On the plane you will be given a customs form to complete - one per family.

You will still meet a queue and will be photographed and have your fingerprints taken at your entry point immigration.

Hope this helps

You need ESTA from the above site, it costs £10 and must be renewed every 2 years. It is really quick and easy - it's all computerised, your info is just compared to all the US watch lists (as we know, the US just loves to keep surveillance on everyone, everywhere) and if you're 'clean' your travel waiver will come through in a minute or two.

One caveat - print out a copy and travel with it - you might not show up in a computer somewhere at some point of entry into the US - having the waiver number is really useful - happened to a friend of mine.

Archived