Customs Allowance INTO Turkey

I've been trying to find the allowances for liquor and cigars when flying into Turkey. I seem to find differing accounts, like this one on TA which states 50 cigars

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293969-c77270/Turkey:Duty.Free.Allowances.Into.Turkey.html

Then these, which I've seen various times that says 10;

http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/TR-Turkey-customs-currency-airport-tax-regulations-details.htm

http://www.wittistanbul.com/magazine/border-procedures-and-duty-free-allowance-at-istanbul-ataturk-international-airport/

I also don't seem to understand the declare/no declare lines I've read about. If you are within the limits but have bought a bottle at a duty free should you be in the declare/red line or the no declare/green line?

I'm probably making it more difficult than it is, but don't want to run afoul of any entry requirements. Thanks.

For the life of me I can't seem to find an official government statement on this. If anyone has it please post a link.

I've been trying to find the allowances for liquor and cigars when flying into Turkey. I seem to find differing accounts, like this one on TA which states 50 cigars...

I also don't seem to understand the declare/no declare lines I've read about. If you are within the limits but have bought a bottle at a duty free should you be in the declare/red line or the no declare/green line?

I can't help with allowances, but I can say that if the total amount you're bringing into the country is legal regardless of where you bought the items -- in the stores near your home or in the duty free store of your departure air port -- you exit through the "nothing to declare/green" line.

If you are flying into IST, there is a good duty free in the baggage pickup area just before clearing customs. It has a reasonable selection of wines.

The selection and price is better than anywhere we have found in Istanbul. As I recall we bought 2 bottles each and that was the limit at that time-ie last Sept. No issue. Cannot comment on tobacco.

If you are flying into IST, there is a good duty free in the baggage pickup area just before clearing customs. It has a reasonable selection of wines.

The selection and price is better than anywhere we have found in Istanbul. As I recall we bought 2 bottles each and that was the limit at that time-ie last Sept. No issue. Cannot comment on tobacco.

What you wrote really intrigued me. I thought the only reason travelers are allowed to buy products without paying tax/duty is that they will be taking the items out of the country. That explains why most duty free stores are located beyond passport control which means legally you've already left the country.

Trying to unscramble my confusion, I went to a link for Ataturk Airport in Istanbul, and learned that at least in Istanbul, the duty free shop is available for arrivals from international flights as well. Fascinating! Does anyone know of other airports that allow for inbound purchases?

Along the way, I actually discovered a link for the OP. This link shows a list of limits for arrival: http://atu.com.tr/kurumsal/eng/customer_rel.html#customer03

Cigars and liquor are directly addressed.

Archived