French Quarter Hotel: Crowne Plaza or Hotel Monteleone?

alrichards4003

I have read a ton of reviews on each, I will just have decided on one and then switch back to the other. We are only staying one night, a Saturday before our cruise on the Sunshine on Sunday. We are flying into NOLA, so we don't have to worry about parking. Planning on doing brunch on Sunday at Two Sisters, so we don't need a breakfast option. So far this is where I am at:

Crowne Plaza: corner of Canal and Bourbon, great location, but maybe being on Royal would be just as good. Would like to take streetcar, so it would seem good location for that. $217 for the night. Rooms appear to be bigger.

Hotel Monteleone: $299 for the night. Family run hotel, seems like lots of character. Carousel bar-would like to go, but we could also walk there from Crowne Plaza, but I have heard it gets busy, but assume we could get in if we went in the afternoon. As a literature person and Tennessee Williams is one of my favorites, would like to stay at one of his haunts. The problem, is it worth an extra $80 to stay just one night?

Any suggestions or anything to add?

Also any thoughts on Two Sisters for brunch and on Le Bayou for dinner?

I can't comment on the hotels other than to say that I've always wanted to stay at hotel monteleone, if for no other reason than the sign. I love standing near the river, looking toward canal street and seeing the back of their sign.

I do hear they have an outstanding martini, if that's enough to sway you. :)

Based on reviews, I chose Crowne just today. Decided to go for that and then spend a night on the road - backed up three hours from NOLA and picked Meridian MS. My original plan was to stay two nights in Slidell, and drive in two times. I think the 'vacation fuse' will get lit easier if I start in the FQ the day before!:D

I can't comment on the hotels other than to say that I've always wanted to stay at hotel monteleone, if for no other reason than the sign. I love standing near the river, looking toward canal street and seeing the back of their sign.

I do hear they have an outstanding martini, if that's enough to sway you. :)

Outstanding martini? And I had just about decided to go with CP. I love my martinis.

• 3 weeks later...