Samana removed from itineraries?

Sandyshore

Just saw this on CC News, dated Oct 25th: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5593

Quote:

"No Manana for Samana

Royal Caribbean will not visit the port of Samana in the Dominican Republic next cruise season, despite original plans for the port to be on Quantum of the Seas', itineraries. Norwegian Cruise Line also recently removed Samana from its itineraries. "

I'm booked on Gem in December to visit Samana. I wonder when this change takes effect -- "next season" like Royal, or sooner? (Not that I know when "next season" actually begins.) My itinerary on ncl.com still shows the port. I can't say I'd be disappointed to have another port take its place. :rolleyes:

NCL will still be sailing to Samana until the Spring, when the Gem returns to her Fla/Bahamas route. Samana has been swapped for Totola beginning in the Fall (next cruise season).

Honestly, Samana is a beautiful port, and if you plan properly you will have a wonderful time there. I would strongly suggest you check out Tour Samana with Terry. He is a very reputable tour operator, and offers a very nice variety of excursion options.

Whatever you do, don't arrive there without a plan, because that's when you'll be very disappointed. There is very little at the port, and those who fail to book an excursion complain often and loudly. Do yourself the favor of researching the port (great resource right here, over on the Ports of Call boards) and give yourself the opportunity to see what a beautiful port it really is. ;)

NCL will still be sailing to Samana until the Spring, when the Gem returns to her Fla/Bahamas route. Samana has been swapped for Totola beginning in the Fall (next cruise season).

Honestly, Samana is a beautiful port, and if you plan properly you will have a wonderful time there. I would strongly suggest you check out Tour Samana with Terry. He is a very reputable tour operator, and offers a very nice variety of excursion options.

Whatever you do, don't arrive there without a plan, because that's when you'll be very disappointed. There is very little at the port, and those who fail to book an excursion complain often and loudly. Do yourself the favor of researching the port (great resource right here, over on the Ports of Call boards) and give yourself the opportunity to see what a beautiful port it really is. ;)

Thanks for clarifying. I see you're doing the Gem 9-day in January. I hear you loud and clear about planning for Samana -- was thinking of "playing it safe" and taking a ship's excursion, although I usually plan my own. I'll look into what Terry offers. Thanks for the tip!

I've been to Tortola twice on the extended Caribbean itineraries out of NYC. Beautiful place but both times a short stay -- all aboard at 12:30pm.

We had a great time/tour in Samana. Booked with Tour Samana with Terry (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g811253-d1985334-Reviews-Tour_Samana_with_Terry-Santa_Barbara_de_Samana_Samana_Province_Dominican_Republic.html) and had a wonderful time. The tour we did (with many from our roll call) was horseback ride to Limon Falls, lunch and we also got to tour a typical DR house and see Terry's property. We also stopped at a school to drop off school supplies. It's a port that you need to have a plan/excursion booked to enjoy. DH says it's one of his favorites that we've done.

We had a great time/tour in Samana. Booked with Tour Samana with Terry (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g811253-d1985334-Reviews-Tour_Samana_with_Terry-Santa_Barbara_de_Samana_Samana_Province_Dominican_Republic.html) and had a wonderful time. The tour we did (with many from our roll call) was horseback ride to Limon Falls, lunch and we also got to tour a typical DR house and see Terry's property. We also stopped at a school to drop off school supplies. It's a port that you need to have a plan/excursion booked to enjoy. DH says it's one of his favorites that we've done.

I think that's the one we did too. Was it the one you ride a horse to a certain point then hike down to the falls?? If so, I would have to say that was our favorite excursion ever! We stopped at a little store on the way and there were young boys standing on the other side of the road. We gave them a couple dollars and the were very appreciative! They all stood and waved as our tour bus left. It was depressing driving through the area though seeing the way these people lived. Made us appreciate what we have.

I think that's the one we did too. Was it the one you ride a horse to a certain point then hike down to the falls?? If so, I would have to say that was our favorite excursion ever! We stopped at a little store on the way and there were young boys standing on the other side of the road. We gave them a couple dollars and the were very appreciative! They all stood and waved as our tour bus left. It was depressing driving through the area though seeing the way these people lived. Made us appreciate what we have.

Your stop was probably at the cigar factory across from the Coral Church.

Your stop was probably at the cigar factory across from the Coral Church.

Maybe. Here it is:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

at the falls:

ry%3D400

notice the guys climbing up the falls (they jumped in too!)

ry%3D400

ry%3D480

I believe we did the tour through NCL. Other people were there when we got there, and they were coming from a different area as us. We had a great time (but the hike back up was intense in that humidity.)

I did that tour with Tour Samana with Terry...the falls are superb, the lunch, the ride, the stops to get coconut candy :D and fresh handmade bread by the bread lady...ALL was excellent...

When I saw this port removed from itineraries, I was sad....it was our FAVORITE port on our 9 day cruise....

Yes you HAVE to plan, or else you will be stuck in a straw market all day...not so fun...

Terry has never missed a ship's departure, and once you read his story....what a wonderful guy ( yes we did get to meet him )...honestly we were treated like kings there......hope to see it back on 9 day cruises soon

We did the 9 day itinerary on the GEM last December, and Samana was the best port for us. We hadn't expected much, but did an island tour through Norwegian and found the island to be much cleaner and nicer than we had heard about. The buses they used were very nice, clean, airconditioned and had nice monitors. Much nicer than any greyhound bus I've ever been on.

There were a few children begging when we stopped at one church, and the guides informed us not to buy anything or give them any money since this makes them skip school more to go out and beg when the ships are in. Recommended bringing in school supplies to pass out, because they are really working on building the schools up and bringing up the education levels.

We stopped at a church, cigar place, museum, and at least one other place.

Afraid the die has already been cast, but count me among those who believe Samana is greatly under appreciated. We, too, took excursion through Terry. He was easy to work with, friendly, helpful and reliable. Our excursion was great...not, make that. GREAT.

While it is true that the village lacks common tourist amenities, a little effort, planning and willingness to explore yielded a wonderful day. This has been our favorite port of call in the Caribbean.

Terry has never missed a ship's departure, and once you read his story....what a wonderful guy ( yes we did get to meet him )...honestly we were treated like kings there......hope to see it back on 9 day cruises soon

Terry led our tour and swam with us at the falls. I was a little hesitant to put my DS on a horse with a person leading him that I didn't know, but when I watched the girl that was with my DS, I felt much better. My son had a fantastic time and that was his first time on a horse.

We were there many years ago when it was first started as a stop and we so loved it, no diamonds international, no Pizza Hut, no del sol. It was a pure Samana experience.

We did the tour with terry, went to the orphanage to drop off supplies and just toured around, went to their house for lunch his wife made. We really got the island experience.

Most ports you can't even tell where you are now they all look the same, this was very unique

Went to this island. Many. many moons ago on our honeymoon on Carnival in 1979... Went back again on NCL last Jan 2013. Boy what a change, still not built up, but much improved from years ago (paved roads better plumbing stores). But what a beautiful island. Went to Tortola on NCL in Jan 2011--not much except few stores and the rest tents. Beach tours though. Neither island is wonderfully exciting-but I get enough excitement daily in NYC

Safe sailing

Just saw this on CC News, dated Oct 25th: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5593

Quote:

"No Manana for Samana

Royal Caribbean will not visit the port of Samana in the Dominican Republic next cruise season, despite original plans for the port to be on Quantum of the Seas', itineraries. Norwegian Cruise Line also recently removed Samana from its itineraries. "

I'm booked on Gem in December to visit Samana. I wonder when this change takes effect -- "next season" like Royal, or sooner? (Not that I know when "next season" actually begins.) My itinerary on ncl.com still shows the port. I can't say I'd be disappointed to have another port take its place. :rolleyes:

The place is terrible. You're not going to miss anything.

Samana is definitely a destination where you'll need to take an excursion or the $15 beach transfer to enjoy and I give a thumbs up for Tour Samana with Terry as well.

I did Terry's zipline tour last year and it was thrilling. 12 ziplines zipping back and forth over a valley. It included a brief visit to the waterfalls, a cultural presentation, includes a nice lunch at the beach (no swimming) and water/soda/beer all day. I did the cultural tour in February which was nearly identical minus the zipline. The visit to the cigar factory was a long trip out of the way and a waste of time unless you're a nicotine addict. If you aren't in their judgement an affluent cigar smoker, they'll give you a tasteless dry mass produced cigar.

I went on a hike and waterfalls excursion through NCL this past February when I was on the Gem. The waterfalls we went to looked nothing like in that picture ksimpso3 posted - i was really disappointed in the falls that day - they were maybe 8 feet tall and not wide at all. Now I am really disappointed we didn't see the ones in the picture

OMG!!!!!!! I just read how NCL is removing Samana from it's itineraries, and must say I am very sad. We did this 9 day on the Gem during Christmas of 2012 and loved it so much that I booked it again for this year as soon as I came home. My son & I did the horseback riding tour with Tery and can NOT say enough good things about how much fun we had, how absolutely beautiful Samana was. Yes there are very poor parts, but in a way this was part of the beauty that I found. We almost did not go because of the negativity we heard about Samana, but was glad we decided to go in the end. I'm glad we will get the opportunity to experience the beauty Samana has to offer us once more!

I went on a hike and waterfalls excursion through NCL this past February when I was on the Gem. The waterfalls we went to looked nothing like in that picture ksimpso3 posted - i was really disappointed in the falls that day - they were maybe 8 feet tall and not wide at all. Now I am really disappointed we didn't see the ones in the picture

Ncl does not offer excursion to "the" falls hidden deep in the tropical forest.

Many excursion available from road side on your way to the falls, but none as organized as the tour Terry offers.

I have two pictures of the falls on my wall in my office.....such great souvenir !! :)

Ncl does not offer excursion to "the" falls hidden deep in the tropical forest.

Many excursion available from road side on your way to the falls, but none as organized as the tour Terry offers.

I have two pictures of the falls on my wall in my office.....such great souvenir !! :)

Yeah. I had such a great time on the zipline I was so distracted I never took pictures of the falls LOL.

Thanks to folks on cruise critic did I learn about Terry, and in general the sometimes big difference between cruise ship excursions and the ones offered by independent tour companies.

Here's some pictures including Terry helping to check our harnesses and send us off on our way.

P1000072.JPG

P1000077.JPG

P1000083.JPG

P1000088.JPG

P1000090x.JPG

Very sad to hear. One of my favourite port days. I still tell people about it. I did the tour with Terri. It was wonderful to see and hear how the locals lived. We visited a house, lunched on the beach with the dogs and roosters, walked to and swam in the waterfalls. An amazing experience.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

So it seems that most ( not all ) but most of the good reviews are coming from cruisers who did one of 3 things :

1- Tour with Terry

2- Did the Cayo Levantado excursion

3- Plan

....so Ncl, sign an agreement with Terry and make it an official excursion already :mad:

A lot of cruisers are afraid to book something NOT from excursion desk on the ship... If TSWT was an official tour, this port would have been one of the favourite in the Caribbean for sure.

Our second most appreciated port was St-Maarten. The other 2 I could have lived without. Not that I hated then but I really enjoyed Samana and St-Maarten

Archived